Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  AngieH 
#1 ·
Hi :) I'm new to Paw-Talk and I was just wondering if anyone could give me some Sugar Glider information. My dads ex used to have 2 of them and I remember that they were just SO interesting and adorable, but I was just too young to fully appreciate them. Then last week I saw a pair of Gliders living in a store. The man told me that the female had a baby or two on the way and that I could put my name down for one or two if I wanted, so I told him to call me when they made their arrival. I really want sugar gliders but I dont want to say yes for sure unless I know everything about them. I dont impulse buy pets because it just isnt fair to them. I own 12 Degus and I give them the best care possible, I would want to do that for my Gliders too. If anyone could give me some information or the name of a good site, it would be muchly appreciated. I want to know everything about these amazing little creatures.. :)

#2 ·
#4 ·
I've never owned gliders before but I've read that the BML diet is the best for them - it's pretty involved. Here is a link to some info about it: http://www.sugargliderinfo.com/NutritionAndDiets/leadbeat.html.

The maintenance required for a proper sugar glider diet is the only reason I have never looked into them as pets. I'm not sure there is a simple, easy to feed diet for them (like pellets) but one recipe lasts a month for one glider!

#5 ·
It really depends on the pet store, but it is generally not a good idea to buy a sugar glider from a store. Its usually much better to get one from a breeder. But check out the pet store, see what they feed them, how tame they are, what they know about taking care of them.

#7 ·
:wavey: The BML diet is what we feed and I love it! Its not a hard diet to make and with only one glider it will last a month. We also feed frozen mixed vegtables, fruit and yogurt every night. I see how great the rescues do on this diet and am amazed, I had one pair that was neon orange when they came in on a diet of cat food and birdseed. Within 2 months they had white stomachs and were looking so much better.
Gliders do better in pairs, I get in lots of lone gliders and once paired up they seem so much happier. If you have a lone glider it should be with you most of the time or it can get depressed and even die.
Its great you are wanting to do your research before getting a glider, they are not hard to care for if you know how and get good information on care.
:headspin:
Angie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.