Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

First time Sugie Mom

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Sasami 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm a first time Sugie Mom :) ... My brother went all the way to Tennesse to pick up Sugie (her name) and all her stuff..(Cage,Food,Pouch,Ball, and everything else) Well he had her for about 1 month and then they got a Siemese Cat (Sp?) The cat started terrorizing the Glider so they called me and asked me if I wanted her.. Of Course I do.. Just give me some time to learn something about them..(that was my reply lol) So here I am. lol
I now have a 9 month old Sugar Glider named Sugie..She's a Girl lol
I had already been looking into Sugar Gliders because I was wanting to get one. And how lucky my brother gives me his? Well I have a Sugar Glider book and I have been doing everything by the book.. But if any of you long-time owners wants to give me any advise it would be greatly appreciated. I do have one question how do yall feel about the balls you can put them in for the to be able to run around? The book said their safe I just wanted to see how you all felt about them? Thanks

#2 ·
I don't have sugar gliders but I bet she would just escape from the ball. They are crafty little guys! Considering some hamsters can escape I guarantee most suggies would.

Not to mention those aren't really intended for gliders. It wouldn't be the best form of exercise...they like being able to run around, climb, and glide in a room. You could buy a tent to play with your glider in...it's a great way to bond :).

Hopefully someone who actually has gliders comes on soon :). I've wanted one for the last several years so I've done a lot of research, handled petstore gliders, talked to breeders, etc. Once I have a steady job I'll be getting a pair from a breeder upstate :).

#3 ·
Thanks Sasami. In the book I have it said they could use them but I thought the same thing you did, because she can unlock her cage door. So she would prolly be able to get out of the ball too. Does anyone have any Glider websites? Like where you could purchese (sp?) things for them. I only have a small petshop here and she only has things if I tell her to order them ahead of time. But I wouldnt be able to see them intil they came in and I want to be able to see what I will be buying...But I havent been able to find any good sites yet so maybe one of yall will know some. :D

#4 ·
An1ma1Lov3r said:
Thanks Sasami. In the book I have it said they could use them but I thought the same thing you did, because she can unlock her cage door. So she would prolly be able to get out of the ball too. Does anyone have any Glider websites? Like where you could purchese (sp?) things for them. I only have a small petshop here and she only has things if I tell her to order them ahead of time. But I wouldnt be able to see them intil they came in and I want to be able to see what I will be buying...But I havent been able to find any good sites yet so maybe one of yall will know some. :D
There's this website: Sugar Glider Shop :).

And I plan to order a cage and starter kit from here: Sugar Glider New Owner

#5 · (Edited)
Hi Megan! I've got three sugar gliders-soon to be four-and I want to say that I'm so happy you did some research before getting the glider! They really are cool animals aren't they?

A great forum to learn about gliders and talk to other glider owners is GliderCENTRAL GliderCENTRAL: Viewing the portal page if you haven't already been there.

Some of my favorite vendors are:
Glider Daydreams
Home Cuddle Creations by Cheryl
index The Sugar Glider Store

There's lots of others, but those ones are great!

Another good place to look is www.suggiebay.com Its like ebay for gliders!

I wouldn't recommend that ball as a playtime. Sugie's poor nails could get caught and she could get seriously injured. Plus I see that you have lots of other pets, and the dogs would probably scare her to death (off topic..I have a min pin too!) if not hurt her. My dog thinks my gliders are neat little (expensive) toys I bought for her to play with. Like Sasami said, tent time works wonders while bonding!

You'll also need a wheel for your sugar glider. You'll see that it will be her favorite toy! Two safe options are the Wodent Wheel (can be purchased at the Sugar Glider Store I listed) and the Stealth wheel AtticWorx Home The Stealth is expensive but will last you forever and it's the quietest wheel out there! Do NOT use one of the metal wheels that are sold for rats/mice. Their feet could get caught between the bars and their tail could get seriously injured by the crossbar (think of a guillotine)

Also, Sugie needs to be on a good diet. What are you feeding her now? GliderCENTRAL Links: Glider Care & Information/Diet & Nutrition Look through that list and you can choose a complete diet for her.

What is her cage like? Make sure that the wire is coated (vinyl, PVC or powder coated) and that the bar spacing is no more then 1/2" one way. The actual cage should be 2'x2'x3' tall at the very least.

If you'd like, feel free to email me at glidergrl1513@yahoo.com I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have, or just talk gliders :) As I'm sure you can tell by my lack of posts, I don't get on here much

Sasami, where upstate would you be getting your glider from? I live up in Rochester.

#6 ·
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Suggies....... I have two twin brothers that are black beauties, Shumway & Braum.

Remember.....
Do NOT Feed them: Fruit Seeds, Onions, Garlic, and Lima Beans - - Grapes are controversial still.

What diet are you presently feeding your Sugar Glider?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.