Fixing boys, and housing with girls? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Sugar Glider Discussion Cozy pouches, fluffy tails, bright eyes, and all else sugar glider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Fixing boys, and housing with girls?

I'm planning on taking in two glider boys. they're about a year or so old. I want to get them a girl cage mate or two (i'll get a giant cage with room for 5) So i was planning on fixing them. What are your thoughts on this? I haven't found anything on whether housing girls and boys together is a conflict. Can it be? i don't want to breed, and like dogs and cats I would think it would calm them a little. I guess they are really really roudy, and noisy(which is why offered to take them in before it drove the owners into letting them loose). although i thought most gliders were fairly frisky at night. lol. any ideas on the risks and price range of fixing them? I'll go do more research but i haven't found much more than the fact that they can be fixed. Thanx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 03:41 AM

Doesn't look like anybody answered your questions here.. but if you want to house males and females together and NOT get babies.. fixing the boys is really your only choice.. I don't, nor will I, fix any of my males.. and I don't agree with fixing every boy that comes thru the door.. I believe that neutering should be saved for males with problems.. SMing, genetic problems, physical problems, etc. Just my opinion.. I have heard that the boys are pretty painful afterwards, and some are put on pain meds for a while..
Intact males can live together without problems if they are introduced young enough. I have a pair of unneutered boys that live together great.. Hope that helped!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 03:01 PM

hey. I have three gliders. One whom is the mom and her two youngins (one male and one female). They were her first litter and I wanted to keep them so I had no option but to fix the male. I was very nervous fixing him but it turned out that he did wonderfully. He was his normal self from the second that I picked him up from the vet and he is still my most "clingy" and loving sugar glider. lol. If the two boys that you are buying were already together then I don't believe that you will have any problems with them fighting but I would be wary about putting a female in the middle of the two because my male glider sometimes forgets that he's fixed.. and you know. But you never know, it could work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 03:03 PM

oh and as for the price of fixing, mine cost 40 dollars but I'm not sure if that was just because he's a friend of the family.. lol
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

i'm so mad. The lady who I was getting the gliders from gave them to someone else. She gave them to a little girl who couldn't afford them. I don't mean to be harsh but if she can't afford to buy the animal how can she pay for the food, care and emergency vet bills? The owners were just feeding them peanuts and pinapple, and thats what this girl will probably feed them. I hope she does some research. I really wanted to give these boys a better diet and home. They've had 3 owners, and I don't think they'll be in a very good home. They fed them a horrible diet, and they were in a tiny cage. I'm still going to get gliders but I wanted to help these two.

I'd love 3 girls so i'll see about that. Then I won't have to worry about fixing. I found a really cool cage. I'm going to get it when our house is finished.http://www.sugar-gliders.com/sugar-glider-cage.htm It has room for 5 but I'll only want 2 or 3. Thanx for the help!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 10:36 PM

Amanda,
I'm sorry to hear that.. both for you and the gliders. :-( I know or several breeders in TX (some great, a couple I would warn you against..) or myself in nearby AZ. If you need help finding somebody let me know.. As for me, I have a brother/sister cinni pair that are about 10 weeks OOP, and an adult pair that are between 2 and 3.. and at least 3 joeys in pouch right now. If you want all girls tho I can help you find somebody that has what you need. :-) Best of luck to you.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 08:41 AM

I'm sorry about that.. that's a real shame. Maybe the girl will find out that it'll be to much work and return them? Just a thought. But I'm sure that whoever you chose will be for the best.
I LOVE the cage. I've had my eye on that one for some time it just doesn't fit my budget. uhg. I have another cage from that site though
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

I'm planning on talking to Angie (AngieH on here) about being a foster parent for a few or adopting a few. she lives fairly close. i visited once. She has so many gliders! I'll see about taking a few off her hands! lol

Tags
cage mate, emergency vet, males together, sugar glider