Glider Diets - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Sugar Glider Discussion Cozy pouches, fluffy tails, bright eyes, and all else sugar glider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 06:54 AM
Kritter_Keeper

Wink Glider Diets

Hello. I have been looking through diets and was wondering what was the easiest to make and to find the ingredients for. The BML looks the best, but is there anything in there that may be hard to find that I could substitute for something more common and still have the same goodness? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 07:43 AM

The BML diet is IMO the BEST diet out there right. Everything in there is easy to find and I would not recommend changing anything in it, It will throw off the ratios. If you have trouble finding something let me know I will point you in the right direction.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 11:35 AM
Chinta0

I as well have another diet to add and maybe if your interested a few more. So here is the diet I use with success.
2 scoops prosobee soy baby formula
12 drops of polyvisol vitamins (for infants)
4 tbs honey (not raw)
4 ounces of very hot water. Mix it all together until the mixture is well mixed. You can give this as a staple diet. It has worked so far for me and the vitamins are great. You will also want to give fruits, veggies, chicken, mealies and crickets as well as other things.
This makes 4 ounces everynight to feed 7 gliders. I hope this is helpful for everyone. I can honestly say my gliders love this stuff.
You can PM me if your interested in other diets.
Cheryl

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 11:38 AM
Chinta0

Kritter_Keeper I won't put down the BML as I have used it before, but remember there are many versions of BML you will have to fine one you and your gliders like if you deside to use this diet.
Cheryl

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 11:56 AM

Don't want to start an argument but
soy and soy products are high in phytic acid which is a substance which can deplete uptake of essential minerals such as calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and especially zinc in the intestinal tract.
Which can cause problems

What are you using for calcium in your diet?

Last edited by glidertales; 04-04-2003 at 12:11 PM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 12:36 PM
Kritter_Keeper

Ok. And the rep-cal is a must right? Its so expenisve.. it and the other reptile thing they need (sorry the name just slipped my mind). Thanks for your replies and keep them coming. Chinta, what other diets do you know of?

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 07:16 AM

yes if you use the BML diet it is a must. It seems expensive but it lasts a good while.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 11:04 AM
Chinta0

Well the formula has alot in it. As for calcium, I will get that for you. Here is a forum just for gliders that you can go see. They have many diets and alot of info on gliders. They also talk about rep cal. www.glidersociety.com I hope this will help. I did use the BML until I found easier other diets. I have used this diet as well. It is the ensure diet. You use a can of ensure and add 1/3 tsp of calcium carbonte to it. very easy and gliders love it. There are a variety of ensure, so will get the one Darcy uses. It is called Darcy's diet if you go to the site and want to look. I won't put done any diet. I think they are all okay and do not condem anyone who chooses to use rep cal. I have heard alot of good things about it as well. I look at it this way have you ever tried the diet BML? It taste aweful. Believe I have and it left an aweful after taste. With the ensure you can drink it and it will do you good. Everyone has there own ideas and I am all for that. Trust me diets for gliders are so hard it is crazy. I think that is the hardest part when owning a glider.
Cheryl

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 12:52 PM
Kritter_Keeper

Cool thanks alot for the site!

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 05:24 PM

I also recommend the bml diet Especially to new glider owners. There are many diets out there but until they stand the test of time i will not jump on any wagon to endorse or go away from the bml. Your cal/phos levels are not as big of a problem for the new owner with bml. It has been formulated to allow for things like corn which our suggies love but can only have a very limited amount of on most diets. But some gliders need to be on a different diet if they will not eat the bml. Caroline Mcpherson has a very good diet but it takes a little more calculations to use it .. It is also referred to as a fresh food diet. She has been feeding hundreds of gliders this diet for 20 some odd yrs and the bml has been around in revised formulas for many yrs and literally thousands of gliders are on it
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 07:10 PM
Kritter_Keeper

Yeah I'm using BML, I think its great!

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2003, 11:36 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

Hehehe glad I got to the end of the thread and saw you were feeding BML Kritter_Keeper.

It seems exepnsive when u buy all the initial stuff about $40 but a lot of that will last u a long time and it actually only costs a few dollars an ice cube tray.

We sell gliders and I recommend the BML diet.

I have had rescue gliders come to me in a not very healthy state due to some of the really awful diets some of them have been fed and they perk right up with the BML mix.

Ah well I will step of my soap box. Gliders are a passionate subject for me.

Catherine
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 10:58 AM

You can find lengthy discussions about BML and other diets at the diet and nutrition boards at GliderCentral. BML is the most widely used diet and is very successful. I use it and know of hundreds if not thousands of others that do. You can buy Rep-Cal and the Herptivite (sp?) online at many different stores and it isn't that expensive.

You can go to To and Fro Gliders and buy the rep-cal and herptivite from them (go to their products, then nutrition section) for 5.30 and 5.70 respectively. shipping is not expensive at all.

I have had my gliders for a year and I just ran out of my very first container of Rep-Cal, and still have almost half left of my herptivite.

I hope this helps!!!!
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 10:29 AM

When i take the plunge into the glider world, BML with fruits, veggies and insects is what i am feeding. :3 If so many people use it, it must be a good diet!
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 08:02 PM

The glider diets have really changed over the yrs. I'm glad to see some improvements. I use to breed gliders several yrs ago. I got my first gliders in 96 and still have a few of my original kids. I have always used dry cat food, they only eat a few pieces here and there. They get fresh fruits and veggies every nite, some peach or apricot nectar 2x or more weekly. I make a mix w/tofu or chicken or beef+ fortified grain flakes cereal(total)+ honey also. I use reptical for supplement. Treats for hand feeding only are pecans, pine nuts, seeds, meal worms.
This was a big burden to feed all my gliders every day but I don't mind now since I only have 5 plus 2 rescues.

Tags
ascorbic acid, cat food, dry cat food, health food store, meal worms