Gliders available in or near New Jersey? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Sugar Glider Discussion Cozy pouches, fluffy tails, bright eyes, and all else sugar glider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Gliders available in or near New Jersey?

I've taken care of my friend's gliders multiple times when it was impossible for her to take them with her and I fell for the critters the first day. I've always loved and cared for more exotic pets- god knows I love my chinchilla and hedgehog to death. However, it seems these animals are hard to find in New Jersey. I was fortunate enough today to come across two female Joeys available not too far from me, however, I haven't met the animals yet (precisely why I won't have the animals shipped, I'd muc rather meet and greet first to find one compatible with me), and I'd like to keep my options open in case this meeting is a disappointment. Should I just keep my eyes open? Or does anyone know of any available in or not too far from New Jersey?

Also, I've been doing my research and I'm wondering about everyones preference between BML and Suncoast diets. I'm used to BML from helping out my friend, but I want to know which is better recieved. I'm willing to do whatever is felt to be best for these animals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:23 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Quote:
I haven't met the animals yet (precisely why I won't have the animals shipped, I'd muc rather meet and greet first to find one compatible with me
That is a very good idea.
The first ones I got were not very friendly with me but were the owner.I had to go thru a bonding period with them.
I also had a baby glider I worked with as soon as he came oop.He was very friendly with me,but when I took him to my friend he was very scared at first and she had to go thru bonding.
All sugar glider's I have gotten were friendly with the owner but I had to bond with all of them.
[/QUOTE]I've been doing my research and I'm wondering about everyones preference between BML and Suncoast diets. I'm used to BML from helping out my friend, but I want to know which is better recieved.[/QUOTE]
I have always used the BML.It is what my glilders were used to eating.I have never tried the Suncoast diet.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:28 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

There is a breeder called SkyBlueGliders in NJ and I think the guy is called Javier, he is supposed to be really good. He posts quite a lot on Glider Central and I have heard many good things about him.

There is also a very dodgy breeder in NJ who you want to avoid at all costs. He feeds a bad diet, has gliders in rusty cages and neuters them himself. If you want the name PM me and I can tell you.

I personally feed BML and my gliders all do really well on it. I have also seen Gliders that have been fed a really poor diet, improve greatly on BML. I also like it because they get a variety of fuits and veg each night. I think it is the Suncoast where they only get one a night? Some Gliders though can be picky about BML and there is a adapted version called Judie's BML that seems to appeal to those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:35 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

[QUOTE]Judie's BML that seems to appeal to those.[/QOUTE]
Do you have the ingredients for this diet?
Quote:
There is also a very dodgy breeder in NJ who you want to avoid at all costs. He feeds a bad diet, has gliders in rusty cages and neuters them himself.
I remember reading something about him.His nueter process is not a very good way to do.I can only imagine how those poor males feel.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:44 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

The idiot even has pictures of his rusty cages on his website. I believe his neutering process involves a peice of string and that's about it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 01:01 AM
Moving Out to Accommodate Her Pets

I have had many gliders come to me to be bb sat and my own gliders and also rescues that come in to me ... very rarely will a unknown glider be totally friendly but he/she should look healthy (fully furred , bright bulbous eyes, no diarrhea etc) cages and pouches should look clean. I have no problem with crabbing but if a joey is lunging at the breeder or biting the owner/breeder then you can be pretty sure that you will be doing some heavy bonding time with them.
I also feed the bml diet to all of my crew and quickly transfer gliders that come in to the bml diet also. I can quickly check to see how much of what is being eaten and the bml diet allows for a few of the higher phos. items by upping the calcium a bit so it is a good diet for a new owner so I like all my joeys to go to their new homes and ask all my new moms/dads to keep them on this diet and if they must change not to do so for at least 3 monthes of research into an alternative good diet.
Good luck on your quest for new suggies
Barb

http://community.webshots.com/user/possummomca
Pets are for life
Not just for xmas
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 01:05 AM
Moving Out to Accommodate Her Pets

Hmmmm , Catherine I think i heard of this also somewhere . The interesting part is that if he is removing the "button" per say , it wouldn't work because apparently that is not actually the scrotal sack. It is actually in behind it . Up here some vets remove the button during neuters some don't. Scarey stuff for sure
Barb

http://community.webshots.com/user/possummomca
Pets are for life
Not just for xmas
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies everyone. It means a lot. I'm meeting the two Joeys I was informed about on Saturday. If that doesn't go well I'll be sure to check out the one breeder recommended-- and avoid the awful one. I also think I'm going to feed my glider BML as well because in most forums it seems to be the favorite. When I do find my new baby I'll be sure to inform you all on his/her progress and include a photo or two.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 09:17 AM

I have two female gliders available in upstate NY, if you are interested. Email me at [email protected]!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 01:53 PM
Newborn Pup

I like the BML too. It is pre made and if you use frozen fruits and veggies already chopped then making glider din-din is a snap! And I agree they get a better calcium:phosphorus balance with BML. Congrats on the new babies when you findthem. Keep us posted!

Jacine and Crew
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come say HI at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Romeo and Julie- Gliders

Frodo Dodo

Red Dog, Koda and Gwen

Brother and Sissy

Tags
exotic pets, sugar glider