Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Goodbye Suggie....

11K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  RodentzRule 
#1 ·
I cant believe im writing this.
Before i even write what im about to write, i just want to say first that im so very sorry to Barb (possumom) and that i completely accept the blame in all of this. I guess im writing in the hopes that my experiences in the last week will show people how fragile life is and how not using your head, even for a minute can ruin your life.

Suggie came into my life in july, i was inexperienced and let myself be conned by people who had no clue about breeding sugar gliders. I ended up with a very young rejected sugar glider, and a miracle happened, she survived and actually thrived. She was perfect in every way shape and form (except for her right ear, which her parents damaged badly) but even that ear was perfect to me because it was hers, and i loved her so much. Since july suggie has never left me or my boyfriends side, she became popular all over our small town because she was always with us, tucked in a pouch or a shirt and constantly popping her head out to say hello and blink her big baby eyes. We gave her everything we could, the biggest cage, the most toys, the best food and so, so, so much love. I woke up each day just to see suggies little face and i went to sleep each night with a warm feeling in my heart from all of her affection.
Some of suggies favorite activities included, licking lips after we had eaten something tasty (prying our lips apart with her claws :rolleyes: ) nipping at toes, playing hide and seek, being kissed on the nose, sleeping in hands so trusting and comfortable and riding shotgun on one of our shoulders and taking in everything with her big beautiful eyes. The only time suggie didnt seem happy was between the hours of 4am and 6am where someone wasnt awake to have her out, so we figured a playmate was in order.
I contacted Barb and we talked on the phone, she knew so much and cared about her gliders, it was so exciting to talk to someone that not only knew what a glider was but that could tell me so much more than i already knew, glider owners are few and far between around here. So barb and i talked and she decided to let me take a year and a half old boy named nicky, he was a rescue who hadnt had a great life before going to barbs place and i figured i could handle it as suggie was somewhat of a rescue herself.
The day we picked Nicky up was amazing, he was so big and handsome!! Suggie fell in love instantly and moved into his pouch before the days end. Nicky was cranky but i fell in love with him anyways, his crabbing was so cute and it was heard less and less over the week.

This is where i fall apart.
On christmas night after a big dinner i decided to take a walk with suggie and nicky. Suggie rode in her usual spot (my jacket pocket) and nicky in his zippered pouch. I was only one house away from mine when suggie started trying to pry the zipper open to see nicky, so i opened the zipper a crack, nicky freaked, and jumped out of the pouch. I tried, Barb i swear i tried to catch him but he jumped from my coat and into a nearby yard. After losing him deep in the brush i ran to get a flashlight and my boyfreind.
We searched for 9 hours without going inside it was pouring rain, we drained our vehicle battery by leaving the lights on pointing at the tree. I couldnt stop crying...
I left all of nicky and suggies pouches hanging from the tree along with some food, and the next morning i bought a havaheart trap and put it near the area. Weve been looking for him for at least 4 hours a day since, we have posters put up everywhere and noone has spotted him.

2 days after losing Nicky my boyfriends dad let suggie out of her cage at 6am as usual, she liked to hang out with pop in the morning as she was still really hyper at that time. We had relatives up and my boyfreinds grandmother forgot to close the toilet seat. I was awakened at 7am to hear pop screaming. He came into our room and set my baby suggie on our bed. She had drown in the toilet.
I was hystarical trying to revive her and telling her to wake up, they took her from me soon after realizing that i wouldnt give up. How could this be happening? She was just nipping my toes only hours ago...

I havent ever felt like this in my life, i cant eat, sleep or function and its been 2 days. I cant believe my baby girl and my new baby boy are both gone. To say that im sad and ashamed of myself would be an extreme understatment. Im having a hard time letting her go and i know that it wont come easily and it wont happen soon. This has been the hardest week of my life and i just wanted to get it out, to tell people that arent my family and dont have to say "it wasnt your fault dont be hard on yourself" Again im so sorry Barb, you did such a great thing for me and now look what ive done. If i ever find nicky, i will do whatever you feel would be right, and if that means bringing him back to you then thats fine.

Thanks to anyone whos read this, please pray for Suggie and Nicky.
I love and miss you both so much, i didnt deserve two such perfect angels...

Please everyone be so careful, things like this can be avoided, one small careless act can change your life, and your pets life forever.

See less See more
#28 ·
I know this is a late response but I wanted to say I'm very sorry to hear that happened. You aren't to blame. To hear that you searched nine hours in the dark and in the rain shows how very much you cared for your glider. I hope both of them know they were loved so much and I'm sure they do.

I once I lost a whole litter of kittens b/c of a stupid mistake. I found My cat Tassel with 4kittens in my shed I brought them in the house and tassel found a comfortable place inside my walk-in closet. I showed the kittens to my family and we all gushed over how adorable and sweet they were. Then I put them with there mama and went to finish a paper I had been working on on the computer. Then I heard my cousion Megan scream and call for me. I went in to my room to find a dead kitten on the floor. I felt sick and weak. I ran to my closet and found the rest of the babies dead as well and my most beloved dog, Fessie, a pomeranian, looking very guilty. Fessie is large for a pom but I didn't think he could kill kittens. I was torn. I loved Fessie more than any other animal on this earth, but how could he do this? I told myself Fessie didn't know any better and It was only me, the human, who was to blame. I should have been smart enough to know to keep any dog away from kittens. I hid myself in the attic all the next day and hardly ate. I felt to sick. That whole week was horrible. I was deppersed and disgusted with my self. I cried everytime I heard Tassels frantic meowing as she look for her kittens. I wished I could tell her how sorry I was and that I would never let anything like that happen again.

I know the pain of losing a pet as I've lost far too many in my life. And I'm very sorry for your loss. God Bless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.