Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
9K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Jade 
#1 ·
My boyfriend and I ALREADY have 5 chinchillas, 1 dog, and a chinese water dragon. He had been saying for a while that he wanted a ferrit but they're very demanding little animals- and they have that distinct odar so we decided not one of those until LATER... He spotted a picture of a glider the other day at petsmart. "What's that thing with the big eyes?!" "It's a sugar glider, Kevin"

We have so many animals right now and I would love to just buy about 50 acres and have my own little zoo but that costs money that I don't have right now!! I know someone that is wanting our water dragon pretty bad so then it'd give us an excuse to get a glider!! :rolleyes: :lol: But I don't know ANYTHING about them.. Im going to read some stuff on here and off some other websites.. If anyone wants to throw in any info- feel free!! and pics too!! :D

thanks

#2 ·
ok- the little info I've got on gliders explained alot.. I don't think we're a good owner for a sugar glider, but a southeastern flying squirrel....

#3 ·
I suggest a ferret. They smell if they aren't kept clean. They are probably no more demanding then 5 chins a dog and a water dragon. All they need is a place to play, if more then one, even less time then one ferret would need. I have 2 ferrets, have had 4 had one time. My schedule's pretty busy and I have no problem with the upkeep of them. They are very very sweet little animals. If you have an opportunity to get one, I would suggest it!

#4 ·
LOL, I was just going to say that if you don't have the time for a ferret, you definetly don't want a glider but it sounds like you found that out already. I wanted a glider too, but I just don't have the time right now either.... maybe someday!
Have you started a thread about the flying squirrel yet? I think we have a few owners around here.

#5 ·
Hmm.... Im definately swinging between them both. I know for a fact that Kevin would adore a ferrit to death... And im sure our dog would too... ugh- Im not even going to think about that right now!! :lol: hmm... I'll start the fyling squirrel thread...

Thanks!!

#7 ·
aww poste a pic if u can

#8 ·
So you got a bunny instead of a Southern Flyling Squirrel? Or you already had a bunny and forgot to mention it in your animal description?

#10 ·
yeah, i dont think a glider or a ferret would be right for you if you are concernd with the smell, they both have STRONG odors!(but you get use to them both)

#11 ·
Usually sugar gliders smell like a sort of fruity potpourri. The only time they do not is if you don't keep their cage clean or they do not have a good diet. I have 7 suggies right now and you can't even tell they have a scent until you are right next to their cage. And it's not a strong scent or unpleasant.

Ferrets, on the other hand, have a very distinct odor. And no matter how often you change their cage, it smells. I had ferrets some time ago and speak from experience. I cleaned their cage everyday and they got a bath once a week. They still stunk. And I can honestly say I am still amazed at the amount of poop these tiny creatures produce.

#12 ·
Hmm... I think I'm going to find someone around me that has gliders whenever we get our own house, so I can get first hand experience with them... Maybe he will change his mind or maybe he will want one even more...

I'm sure that we don't need one right now!! We already have a lot of furries! :D

#13 ·
Pyxie said:
Usually sugar gliders smell like a sort of fruity potpourri. The only time they do not is if you don't keep their cage clean or they do not have a good diet. I have 7 suggies right now and you can't even tell they have a scent until you are right next to their cage. And it's not a strong scent or unpleasant.

Ferrets, on the other hand, have a very distinct odor. And no matter how often you change their cage, it smells. I had ferrets some time ago and speak from experience. I cleaned their cage everyday and they got a bath once a week. They still stunk. And I can honestly say I am still amazed at the amount of poop these tiny creatures produce.

hmmm, i dont think i will agree with your above statement.. a fruity potpourri?? no, i do not agree with that, there is by no means anything potpourri about them. to be blunt, they do smell, they smell a lot like wet dog, or a very sweet pee smell. you are right about them smelling worse though if they have a bad diet, & if you clean the cage every day.. (because then they feel the need to mark everything, & it smells even more) i clean my cage every two weeks. (i change the top layer of paper towels & leave the rest, just to get the spilled fruit,bml, & veggies out of there so they dont make the smell even worse.) then every two weeks i hose them off or put them in the shower.& clean all the paper towels.. this has been the best way for me to keep the smell down. i have 4 of them so i do have a number.. & i would think 7 would smell a bit more.. =] but i dunno.. to each his own when it comes to opinions about the smell of their animals, or house. (im sure if someone that had gliders came over they wouldnt smell much, but if someone who didnt did, then they would probly be like 'ewww.' & if they dont they are probly just lying to be nice. LOL i know how it was when i first got mine!!! they stunk so bad, but now im use to it, & it doesnt bother me at all!! im sure the same has just happened with you.

your also right that ferrets smell, but i do not agree that they smell worse. they just have a musky body odor that they produce. (just like the gliders, only its a different smell) (cats dont smeel like dogs, & people dont all smell the same either)
i will state that i do have 2 ferrets & they do smell, but like the gliders if someone who didnt have them came over they would think it was stinky, but since i live with them, i dont find there to be any problems. but i would NOT in any matter say gliders smell better than ferrets. ferrets arent really that bad.. most people just like to stero type. they do have a smell, im not saying they dont, but if you clean their cage everyday, & wash their bedding about every other week then they arent bad at all..
your ferrets, or the ones you speak of probly did smell a TON, you stated that you gave it a bath every week.. that is NOT good for them AT ALL!! that actually probly made them smell 100% worse. their bodies produce the oild for their coat, & when you take them away, by bathing, then they kinda go into 'overdrive' to produce those back.. & the conclusion, makes them smell worse.. i would advise in only giving a bath to a ferret if it go into something, has fleas, or you let them just swim in the water, without shampooing them.. this is actually irritating for them.. it makes them itch a lot more too!!! just thought i would put in my two cents, since your probly looking for the whole picture & a bunch of opinions rather than just one.=] hope i helped.. & hope i helped you see the reason you shouldnt bathe your slinky so often! ;) :highfive:

#14 · (Edited)
I do want a lot of oppinions. That's why I posted! :D

I remember when we had ferrets... I washed (hosed) out their cage every other day and never gave them a bath except for my entertainment, maybe, once every two months, and they STILL smelled like you wouldn't believe.

I love ferrets- I think they're so much fun to watch and play with! I just wouldn't get any more if I had to take care of them by myself! :)

#17 ·
We have a ferret and he has a smell much like a musky smell as described above. And I know that bathing too much will make it worse but we bath Frodo maybe once every month or so and when we do we bathe him with regular ol' baby shampoo. I have never had any problems with his skin and he actually smells good for a while afterwards but the key is all in keeping their bedding and cage clean. I have about 8 hammocks for him and we change them out every few days. I also own 2 gliders and oh boy those guys can create quite a ~stink~ as well, lol. And the funny thing about boy gliders is the more they skunk on you and mark you, that means they REALLY LOVE YOU!! lol But just like everyone has said, you get used to it and my gliders get their pouches changed quite a few times a week and you gotta keep their wodent wheel clean too. With my gliders i wipe down the outside of their cage each day and that helps with the residue and the smell a bit.

#18 ·
gliders smell too if you do`nt clean them regularly and i would`nt say they are low maintenance. also it is advised to have 2 or more as they are like degues they survive much better, and a lot more happy when they have a playmate, do`nt worry they will still bond with you, it is so much fun to know you have 2 little fur babies down your front or in your bra!! check out my album i have a couple of pictures of my two

#19 ·
Sugar gliders are not what I would call a low maintenance pet. I have 2 females now and they are sweethearts. My avatar is my wfb Glaze and I have her baby sister Silica. I started with a rescued glider and he is now with a perfect cage mate in a forever home. Good luck deciding...do lots of research first. GC is a perfect place to get all your questions answered!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.