A Lot of Work? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Sugar Glider Discussion Cozy pouches, fluffy tails, bright eyes, and all else sugar glider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

A Lot of Work?

I wanted a sugar glider so badly a couple years ago - but after reading about them it seems that they are difficult to care for - is this accurate? What are their feeding and care requirements? What about their temperaments?

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 10:27 AM
Moving Out to Accommodate Her Pets

In this day of healthy foods around the house I find gliders to be really quite easy to care for. My main problem was i never had fresh fruit around the house so at first it was a bit of a chore making sure that i had all this fresh fruit that would go bad before the gliders would get to finish eating it.
I now have it down to about 10min a night of mealtime prep and a couple of hours a month of making fruit slurries and the bml and freezing up veggies. Now what i do is take advantage of using baby food fruits and frozen veggies then add the bml mixture on the plate(that is premade in large batches), add whatever fresh fruit or veggie i may have on hand and wallahh i have the meal. I give a scrambled egg or boiled chicken every few days but in actuality the bml covers most of the protein needs and some people even use the baby food chicken in the jar but we eat alot of chicken so i just cut a little off for them before i cook ours.
My biggest warning would be in the care of the gliders before you even buy them. If they are not handled from a very young age it will be a challenge to make a good pet out of them. My breeding pair were older when i got them and the male will still bite if he is in a mood.
LOL , obviously i am not real good at this because i started out with the intention of coming across that gliders are not too hard to own and it reads here like it is really a chore. Any questions in particular I can probably answer but all in all i do not find them to be difficult to care for. They are such an endearing animal we just love having them and the new joey will be getting tons of attention so that he will be an awesome pet for someone.

http://community.webshots.com/user/possummomca
Pets are for life
Not just for xmas

Tags
breeding pair, sugar glider