Male Glider for sale - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Sugar Glider Discussion Cozy pouches, fluffy tails, bright eyes, and all else sugar glider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks .he is taking mealies from me by hand and licks jam off of my hand all the time .it,s the touching he doesn,t like .he lounges at me when i get to close to him or even look at him .is he just doing the scare tactic thing on me?he does nip when he lounges .I sat with him for 2 hrs last nite in my bathroom and he did crawl all over me and sat on my head but just won,t let me touch him .I,m going to do this every nite and hopefully he will change .he,s sending me mixed messages i think or being a tease ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Rodentologist

He's not doing a "scare tactic", he's scared. Imagine sitting in your house and having Godzilla open the window and reach in to grab you! You'll probably have better luck waiting until he's in his pouch and gently taking the pouch out.

Nipping is pretty normal for gliders -- it's how they warn people.

He is not sending you mixed messages -- he is saying that you are being scary and he is nipping at you because he's scared. He weighs 1/100th of what you do.

Spend more time offering him licky treats, talking softly to him, letting him sit in the bonding pouch against your chest and having out of cage time (preferably in a tent to be safe) so he can glide around and learn about you.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

well he does take licky treats from me and i spend time in my bathroom with him and he sits on my head alot and glides from one area to another .he was playing with a cat toy last nite with his feet like a cat it was cute to see him play .Something i never saw him do .what do i do with my female ?do i alternate them in bonding pouches or wear 2 of them threw the day ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Rodentologist

Because licking something delicious off of your hand is fun. Having you reach in at him like a monster is scary.

A nice person giving you candy is a good experience which will make you braver. if that person picked up a baseball bat and ran towards you, you'd be scared.

Alternate them in the bonding pouches, like I said.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

ok i will .I haven,t reached into his bonding pouch yet because i know how it must look to a little critter like him .I gently just put the pouch into his cage and he just walks out when ready to .
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Rodentologist

Reaching for him at all is scary. You're a giant, you have to be gentle and passive and let him come to you.

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:34 AM
Playful Pup

Ok, first off, even a glider that is extremely tame can become very scared and act very mean when they go to a new home. Everything is new--sounds, sights, smells--you can't blame him for being upset. That the time, WORK WITH HIM. Let him sleep in a bonding bag you can zipper, while he is asleep, zip it, take it out and carry him on you every day. Wear pieces of fleece in your clothes, then slip them in w/him while he is sleeping, so he gets used to your scent. You are expecting way too much from him so fast. Poor guy. I know what I am talking about, I have 25 gliders, most of which came to me older (as in years), never handled and mean as the dickens......but they are no longer that way. It takes TIME, LOVE AND A LOT OF PATIENCE (AND TREATS.....) Please don't give up on him. And so you know, just getting another female does not guarantee those two will like each other. Gliders all have their own personalities and sometimes it is love at first site, but other times, no matter what you do....they hate each other. Sort of just like people. Give him time, put that time into him, you will find he isn't anywhere near like what you thought. JMPO.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:37 AM
Playful Pup

Get some mealworms, and the tweezers made to feed reptiles. Feed him the bugs through the bar (he will still be able to smell you and will start to associate you with something good). Give him about 10 mealies a day (he needs the protein. Speaking of which, what are you feeding them?) Talk to him softly (he will probably crab, thats ok, just keep talking or sing a song, but do it softly.)
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks .I do feed him mealies every nite and if i forget he reminds me .I also give him Pear jam to lick off my fingers and he does that too with no problem .I have them both on the leadbeaters diet give or take a few changes and fresh fruit .oh they both eat .But big eage difference and i do have them separated in different cages .he was OOP dec 13th 2010 and my females OOP April 20th 2010
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Playful Pup

If the girls are older (as in this case), they are usually fine. But you have to do slow intros, regardless. Start buy using fleece blankets that you can swap out, then swap out pouches (you should always have two pouches in each cage, even w/single gliders), so they can start getting used to each other scent. Do that for few weeks, then actually switch cages, let them spend a few nights in the others cage, then switch them back. Then start taking them both out in zippered bonding bags (which you should be doing individually with them already every day), so they can smell each other through the pouches (they will probably crab.....just let them do it.) Then after doing this for about a week, take them into a tent, or shower stall and let one out. Let them crawl on the other one, sniff it, etc. After a while, put that one back in his pouch, and let the other out. Do this every day for at least a week, then try letting them out together (keep a big piece of fleece in case you have to seperate them quickly.) Do not let them ball up. Also, do not let them go into a pouch together for a while, so you know they are getting along. Sometimes it is love at first sight, other times, it takes a while (sometimes QUITE A WHILE! lol) But don't give up unless they just fight every time.....then it is most likely they just don't like each other and that won't change, but give them time, sometimes they just have to work things out. It isn't easy, but is rewarding when they get together! Good luck!
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 01:54 AM
Newborn Pup

No!!!! do not neuter the male.
A breeder i know had told me a story that a lady she sold a male to had hers neutred to get a female, her male had a reaction and got an infection because he was so small. I really think its cruel
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 05:35 AM
Rodentologist

I've personally neutered over a dozen male gliders and have never had a single problem. Our vet has done hundreds, and has had minimal complications. Check out sugar glider message boards -- people do it all the time. It's a common and minor surgery. The infection has nothing to do with size, only with the competence of the vet doing the surgery.

I'm sorry that your breeder friend associates with people who don't have glider savvy vets. But that is a very bad reason to recommend against a surgery which will prevent male gliders from fighting each other violently, prevent females from having unwanted [and sometimes inbred] litters, and reduce hormonal aggressiveness.

Tags
sugar glider