Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Male vs. female gliders

13K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  CdnEquestrian 
#1 ·
Hello everyone :)

I've actually been researching gliders for a couple of years now and would eventually love to get a pair (probably not anytime too soon, but someday!)

Anyways- I've found some sites that say that the males and females have diffrent personalities - that the males are usually more playful and friendlier then the girls. If anyone here owns both sexes - have you found that to be true, or is it more just variations in personality with the diffrent gliders and not based on their sex?

I'm just asking because I had always planned on getting a pair or trio of females - but when I read that the boys are friendlier, I started to wonder if it would be better to get a pair of males instead, because I definatly want to be able to interact with them and I want them to enjoy interacting with me as well :)

#2 · (Edited)
Hi, I am not trying to burst anyones bubble, but, I was researching them maybe two months ago and they're illegal in MA if you didn't already know ( I'm only saying this because you have your location NJ/MA ) So, you can't own them in certain states without a permit, and permits are only given to museums or something.

With your question about male/female, I am not experienced with them, so I do not know. But I was just trying to warn you about them being illegal.

Take care.

:edit: Just reread your post and you said you are probably not getting a pair anytime soon so they MIGHT become legal then. :) Just hope for the best!

#5 ·
I just got my two gliders, male and female. Momma is more docile then the male but she has two joeys in her pouch. Quite a surprise when we got her from my Mother in Law hehe. So she could just be feeling kinda labored as it seems there are two in her pouch. Nibbles is accepting us alot easier, he's our male and Bits is our female but she will come to us but she's def more docile then the male. Even though the male is kinda a ham she's still so sweet and just wonderful.

#7 ·
Yeah - if I do decide to get males I would have them neutered.

I'm still leaning more towards getting females though. I keep reading that they can take more work to bond with and that they don't take to strangers as much as the males might, but I would assume that with enough work on my part they could be just as friendly as a male would be.

I have plenty of time to think it over though, and do more research, since I won't be getting them until around next Christmas at the soonest.

#8 ·
I have a female and a male...and they were both poorly socialized. Even so, the male is much more aggressive than the female. She took less time to "accept" me and let me handle her, and is much happier to just sleep in her bonding pouch with me during the day.

The male doesn't care for the bonding pouch and will try to escape. He bites HARD, and isn't as playful as the female.

This is only my personal experience though...and as I said, mine were poorly socialized.

We had a single female years ago when I was young (around 12 years old, at the time I think) and she was very people oriented and friendly, and never bit that I can remember.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.