My gliders keep escaping... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Sugar Glider Discussion Cozy pouches, fluffy tails, bright eyes, and all else sugar glider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

My gliders keep escaping...

So I got up Saturday morning for work (at 5am) and I noticed that the corner of the glider cage was pushed open. I saw one glider in the cage, so I squeezed the pouch and it was empty. Just as I started to freak I heard scurrying on the floor. I looked and there was Irwin running with all three cats behind him. My heart just stopped. So I join the chase, managed to put two of the cats in the basement and managed to catch him. I put him back fixed the cage and got ready for work.

Then last night my husband came to bed and said "Irwin made the great escape again tonight" but he didn't know how he got out this time. So I went downstairs and put clothespins on all the doors. I got up this morning and there were no gliders in the cage and one of the doors was pushed open, maybe half an inch. They were both loose in the house. Fortunately the cats didn't seem to care this time. I ended up needing my husband and my daughter to help me catch them.

Do you guys think I should rehome them somewhere where there are not cats and they will be safer. It would absolutely break my heart to see them go but I couldn't stand to see them hurt or dead either. I'm almost crying writing this. What do you think??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sadie,Jewel,and Zucco
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Minnie
Sweetheart

Plus a proud foster momma to Momma and Mable

Proud foster mom to Naomi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

no, you just need to find a way to secure the cage better. or maybe put them in a room that you can close the door so the cats arent in there.

[/CENTER]

Old 03-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I agree with Kendalle.

I understand your being worried but rehoming them isn't your only option. Finding a more secure cage that they can't get out of or putting them in a room where the door can be shut would surely help out. What kind of cage do you have them in right now?

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2007, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel_baby
I agree with Kendalle.

I understand your being worried but rehoming them isn't your only option. Finding a more secure cage that they can't get out of or putting them in a room where the door can be shut would surely help out. What kind of cage do you have them in right now?
They have been in a smaller bird cage while we were hand taming them. We had plans to buy a large cage this week. They live in the bathroom so that we can shut the cats out but the doorknob broke so the door doesn't stay shut. I'm not going to rehome I was just freaking out because I was worried about them. Hopefully we'll be able to fix the doorknob tonight

You should see the cage now. It looks like glider jail. There are two clothespins on each door as well as any spot that can be lifted. They both seem fine even after their adventures

Sadie,Jewel,and Zucco
Minnie
Sweetheart

Plus a proud foster momma to Momma and Mable

Proud foster mom to Naomi
Old 03-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm glad your getting everything worked out. I know what it's like to worry trust me we used to have a bird that was an escape artist and we have cats to. I know not the same animals but the same concerns. I'm sure they will be happy in their new cage and when the door is fixed you won't have to worry so much

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue
Old 03-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

yay. ive had all of my pets in jails before.. iguana in a 10 gal when i first got him because he got out of everything else.. 4 rats in a 10 gal + tank topper when im cleaning their cage and my gp lives in jail right now so i can tame him and be able to afford a new one

[/CENTER]

Old 07-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Part of the Pack

Arrow

What is the size of the space between the bars? - maybe you just need a cage made for SG and not a cage made for other types of small animals.

Here is a link of the cage I purchased for my 2 Sugar Gliders.

Sturdy Sugar Glider Cage

PICS:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 042907_1057.jpg (12.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 060407_Shm 1st time out.jpg (9.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 052807_Brm2.jpg (12.8 KB, 13 views)

R h a p s o d y -
Old 07-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

Thats the same cage i'm getting when I move& can afford gliders =D
You never had any escapes @ all,Rhapsody ?

Cute gliders too btw ^^

Old 07-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Part of the Pack

Talking

I have never had a SG escape via the bars.....

But I do have one SG "Braum" (2nd glider in pic above) that will try to escape when you open the cage door.... you have to keep an eye on him for he will set him self up to be able to jump right out the upper cage door when it is opened - he is so funny and he has escaped 3x via the door - lol.

R h a p s o d y -
Old 07-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

That sounds so cute XD!!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Newborn Pup

We have our gliders in what's basically a bird cage, but the bars are only 1/2 inch apart, and we haven't had any problems. At our house, the predators (2 dogs and a cat) live downstairs, and the "prey" (2 sugar gliders, 2 rats, and one rabbit) live upstairs. We keep the downstairs door closed. In the evening, when the gliders wake up, we let them out in the closed off upstairs landing area to play. They run and hop all over the place and chase each other around. The only thing we don't like about this arrangement is when we're tired and they're not, and it's hard to get them to go back in the cage. Usually, a little food helps.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:50 AM

I Bought A Cage From Ebay A 5x3 And It Worked Well Til They Got Older And They Helped Each Other Get Out So We Zip Tie The Bottom Set Shut So They Cant Get Out
Old 02-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Hello Earthling

This thread is from 2007

Tags
bird cage, sugar glider, sugar gliders