My new goobers... - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Sugar Glider Discussion Cozy pouches, fluffy tails, bright eyes, and all else sugar glider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 04:47 PM

Yeah I agree Rav about the part of going after the finches , the part i could not understand was how the heck did they get into their enclosure. Any cage that could keep finches in should keep gliders out you would think lol. Unless they did all this damage from the outside of the cage hmmm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 11:19 AM
Proud New Mommy

i live in florida, and speaking of not being able to walk into a pet store and buy them...i wish it was like that here to make a long story short, i was looking into buying a chinchilla from the petstore (before i did all of my reading!!) and they happened to have a glider there, well i asked if i could hold him, and told them i was interested. they simply gave me the glider to hold, and ran the price by me, and asked if i was going to get it. it made me very very mad, knowing that there are people out there that Dont Care where the animals go, if they are in good hands, and they know anything about them. i didnt know anything from how to hold them, to what kind of cage they stay in...or even if they talk like birds. i didnt know a thing, and they were ready to grab the money, shove him in the car...and we would be on our way

well, now i look back and wish i wouldve gotten him, to put him in a better home, a slowley take my time with him... but theres nothing i can do now, cause i went back in there and he is gone...i hope he went to better parents!!!

well heres my question: does anyone feel that if they are in pet stores of any type, do they get sad or depressed like chins do, or are they fine, as long as they have everything they 'Need'?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Herp Nerd

I have no doubt that most animals in pet stores are stressed, depressed and in generally - a very poor state of mental health. Some, of course, do better than others... but many just slowly wither away until someone takes them home. Which is another reason why most pet stores try to move animals quickly. Once they sell it, its no longer their responsibility.

Rav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 01:29 PM
Proud New Mommy

thats so sad... i so shouldve taken him home with me.

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 03:54 PM
ChinTopia

Quote:
just like chinchillas
Oh boy, this one caught my breath till I read rs's reply, cause I just shipped two chins to cali LOL
Scared me for a minute

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Herp Nerd

Sorry.. it slipped my mind that cali was one of the states who I believe successfully lobbied to have chinchis removed from the banned list... back in like 1978.

Rav
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 05:55 PM

Rocheal , they do indeed get depressed. In fact that is why most people like to sell two gliders together, so that if the person doesn't spend as much time as the gliders needs with them, they at least have each other. Even in a nice cage with lots of toys a single glider has been known to get depressed, sick and even die from lack of companionship. I was so worried when selling my joeys but i was really lucky to have found such a good home and have had an update today saying she is doing well and the lady has a little male as a future playmate. Now i just need another awesome home for my little boy. lol
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 08:37 PM
Proud New Mommy

thats good!! just as well as there are 'bad' pet owners out there, there has got to be great animal lovers. im glad u found some possummomca

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 05:23 AM
Catma63

I'm curious as to how big adult sugar gliders get. Are they about the size of a rattie? Smaller? Beautiful glider baby!

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Herp Nerd

They are about the size of an adult hamster... skinnier though, and of course, the long tail.

Rav

Tags
animal lover, animal lovers, flying squirrel, meal worms, pet owner, pet store, pet stores, sugar glider, sugar gliders