My new goobers... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Sugar Glider Discussion Cozy pouches, fluffy tails, bright eyes, and all else sugar glider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Herp Nerd

My new goobers...

This is one of my new pair of sugar glider boys... they are both quite friendly little guys. One has an eye infection which I'm trying to treat. Easier said than done. Will take some better pictures at wakeup time... I forgot to turn my macro on for that pic, so its kinda blurry.

Rav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 11:44 AM
Fertile Myrtle

SO cute!!!

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 01:19 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

Very cute! :blob6:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Herp Nerd

As with any animal... they're not really difficult to keep as long as you meet their requirements... sugargliders have dietary requirements that most people would have trouble maintaining. *shrug* I woudn't recommend them as a first pet, but they're certainly not difficult.

Rav
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2002, 11:02 PM
Moving Out to Accommodate Her Pets

Your baby is adorable, I have 2 babes. My joeys a from parents i own and raising them has been so precious . They are 6wks oop now and getting so curious. Yours must be so much fun , how old are they. congrats and have fun, Barb

http://community.webshots.com/user/possummomca
Pets are for life
Not just for xmas
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 05:53 PM

Rav how is your babies eye , all cleared up now. He sure is cute

Pets are for life
Not just for xmas
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Herp Nerd

Yep... its all cleared up, he's doing great! I was amazed at how well it healed... and I don't believe he has even lost his eyesight in that eye like I thought he might. It was a pretty bad infection.

Rav
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 06:01 PM
ChinTopia

awwwwwwwwwwwww what a sweety!

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 06:29 PM

LOL What i can't believe is that you could hold him still long enough to medicate. Sorry to hear about the loss of sight though. Just in the one eye?

Pets are for life
Not just for xmas
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 06:30 PM

Actually if you don't mind. Where did he get the infection, as I have two littles, is it something i should be aware of?

Pets are for life
Not just for xmas
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Herp Nerd

I honestly haven't the slightest where he got the infection from, but from examining his eye I would guess that it was from a scratch of some sort. Either debris or from his cagemate's claws. He had the infection when I got him, and the previous owner wasn't sure how to go about treating him. I happened to have aquired a chinchilla with a similar problem not too long ago, so had some antibacterial drops already on hand which worked very well. He is quite tame, so medicating him wasn't a real problem. 3 or 4 tries and I managed to get enough in his eye to do some good.

Rav
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 10:15 PM
ChinTopia

Quote:
Originally posted by possummomca
LOL What i can't believe is that you could hold him still long enough to medicate. Sorry to hear about the loss of sight though. Just in the one eye?
I thinhk she said luckily he DIDNT lose his sight, she thought he might.....
That is great news

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 05:21 PM

OOPs, sorry about that rav , just reread and i am so glad he didn't loose his sight . This is good news . Thanks Chin for the correction. Was not on the ball that day at all. lol

Pets are for life
Not just for xmas
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 05:46 PM

Rat , their fur is very similar to a chins in the way that it is very dense and oh so soft. Although real short coated, don't quote me but i don't think they are legal in ca, someone else could prob answer that better though. The reason that you will not find many in any petstore even up here is that being nocturnal their food should be given in the evening and for having a nice tame glider you need to be playing and interacting with them at night. The petstores close say at 6 or 7 and open at 9 , the gliders would never get the socialization that they need to remain good pets. Although quite often if you inquire at a petstore they may know of someone who has available babies. My origin pair came from a lady that works in a petstore and she informed me that they tried keeping gliders at the store occasionally and they once escaped their cage and somehow which doesn't make alot of sense to me, they escaped from their inclosure and got into where the finches were by morning they had lost close to 800.00 in finches. They are escape artists but the finch thing , I don't know , sounded strange to me

Pets are for life
Not just for xmas
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Herp Nerd

Sugar gliders are illegal in California... just like chinchillas, hedgehogs, ferrets and pet rocks. Georgia and Massachusetts also has banned them.

They are very soft... like short haired chinchillas is a very good comparasin.

It would not be surprising to have sugar gliders kill and eat birds. They are omnivores and need meat in their diets just as much as fruits and nectars. And they love chasing things. I put meal worms, and crickets in my glider's diet. I've heard of a couple situations where people thought it would be neat to house a flying squirrel with a sugar glider... only to wake up to a horror scene because the squirrel got ripped apart and eaten.

Rav

Tags
animal lover, animal lovers, flying squirrel, meal worms, pet owner, pet store, pet stores, sugar glider, sugar gliders