Nail trimming some advice on a new product if possible! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Sugar Glider Discussion Cozy pouches, fluffy tails, bright eyes, and all else sugar glider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Nail trimming some advice on a new product if possible!

Hi
I am new to Paw Talk and I hope it is ok to write this thread. I live in Derbyshire, England and have recently acquired a pair of boy sugar gliders. I use a wheel with a sandy insert to trim their nails, which is good - but I have noticed that one suggie goes in it a lot more than the other one (he prefers the toys in the cage). So his nails arent trimmed as much. As an Open University student I am currently doing a course on Technology and Design and for my design project I am looking into creating a safe nail trimmer which can be wrapped around branches, allowing them to self-trim their nails without damaging their delicate feet.
The design will have a mesh outer layer with an appropriate grade sand paper underneath, the gliders nails will come into contact with the sand paper,not the feet. It is the same principle as the trim trax but with smaller sections attached to a branch. The branch will be sold with the trimmer attached (it will be 'embedded' into the branch) and will clip to the side of the cage. It will also have holes in it with stainless steel 'cups' where nectar or gum can be added, encouraging the gliders to forage. I would welcome any feedback regarding my idea - whether any of you think it is suitable or commercially viable. It would be much appreciated for my assignment!

Moderator - is it ok to post this message in a couple of relevant threads? Many thanks.

kind regards
Meggie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

People will see it if you just post in one section. If there are reliant threads it's fine to post your idea there however make sure to look at the date of the thread - there aren't many members posting about sugar gliders here so a lot of the topics are old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Many thanks for your reply Michelle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck with your idea!

It sounds very interesting...I'd be interested in hearing how it goes when you get further along with it.

I know that most glider owners I know just cut the nails themselves. I've heard mixed good and bad reviews about using sandpaper in the cage to keep nails short. I don't think using sandpaper is a replacement for cutting gliders nails. Even people who use sandpaper in the wheel usually find that they still need to clip nails the old fashioned way at least once in awhile.

I'd wonder if the gliders would hang out on the branch long enough for it to have much of an effect? Using the wheel to file nails makes more sense to me since a lot of gliders will run on the wheels for awhile. I would think they'd have to spend quite a bit of time moving around on the branch for it to file down their nails, and I'm not sure if the majority of them would spend that much time on one branch?

Still an interesting idea though. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Newborn Pup

I think it sounds cool, good luck with it!

Jess

Owned by 2 gliders since 2005 and 2007, Gizzy and Ruthie, my heart <3

Please complete your glider-related surveys at
- help better the lives of gliders everywhere!

"I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart." - Anne Frank

Tags
health, nail trimming