need Glider diet help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Sugar Glider Discussion Cozy pouches, fluffy tails, bright eyes, and all else sugar glider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

need Glider diet help

I just got my glider two days ago. I got some of the formula and the breeder said it was enough and I might want to look into some treats later.well....I want to change things up a bit and give her food that she'll really enjoy and look forward to eating (I've heard good food makes them sweeter and easier to bond with) not just tolerate because thats what shes got. I've given her some apple while I work with her and I also included a tiny amount of honey. What else can I give her and what is the best treat for her? she loves honey but I figure that should be something extra special. IDK though I'm not very experienced and I only know what I've read and been told by the breeder.

She has greatly improved her attitude since I gave her the apples and honey and let her crawl on my hand. Shes proving to be very sweet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Part of the Pack

Arrow

First off you need to place your glider on a proven diet for gliders...... I use the BML Diet.
You can read about it on my website.

http://www.freewebs.com/sugargliders4u2/

Second...
Please do not fill your glider up on sweets or she will not eat the protein that is needed to keep her healthy.
Many people use meal worms, natural baby food or yogurt drops for bonding foods.

Basic 5 parts of a Sugar Glider Diet:
... based on approved & safe foods.

1 - Staple Food: main food supply
2 - Fresh Protein Source
3 - Fresh Fruits & Vegetables
4 - Supplements: Calcium & Vitamins
5 - Daily Fresh WATER

Third...
Look into getting a bonding pouch and tent (for tent time) to help the bonding process along after you have given your glider a good week to settle in.

R h a p s o d y -
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

awesome thats exactly what I needed to know. any suggestions on some specific fruits or vegetables they like or should I just play with them and figure her out? do u think I should change formula? its called sweet success glider formula and the breeder says its what he uses. I have a calcium supplement is that enough or are there other things I should look for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Maybe I should switch to the BML... is this a good idea since I'm just starting? thoughts on this? If someone is willing to list the exact diet of their glider(s) that would be awesome. i'm reading around and so many people tell me different things and what I was sure of before I'm not now. she is eating good and I'm hand feeding her fruits and vegies to get her used to me and she climbs on my hand to eat them. should I leave the formula in the cage all the time or put some in and take it out? sorry to sound like i just jumped into this without knowing anything but what i thought i knew and have been told i'm not so sure of anymore
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Part of the Pack

Arrow

I am not sure what the formula is that you mentioned..... do you have a link to it online?
.. do you make it your self or buy it?
>>>
>>>
>>>
I would suggest the Rep-Cal calcium and vitamins (two different containers) for your gliders....... you can find a link for them on my website under diet.
>>>
>>>
>>>
I personally would say YES - switch the to the BML Diet as it is the #1 diet used by most sg owners..... but do it slowly, adding a small amount to their present diet and over a two weeks period totally change them over to BML. I have been feeding the BML diet for a year and a half now, and my gliders are all healthy.
>>>
>>>
>>>
You can search all sugar glider diets on this website.
http://www.glidercentral.net/links/p...ion/index.html
>>>
>>>
>>>
I would not leave the formula in the cage 24/7 - as gliders usually only eat during the day and eat at night. If you see that your gliders do get up during the say to eat (like one of mine does) you can purchase some of the ZooKeepers Pellets (very soft) and leave a TSP in the cage during the day.
>>>
>>>
>>>
ZooKeepers Pellets
http://www.sugar-gliders.com/zookeepers-secret.htm
>>>
>>>
>>>
Here is a list of SAFE FOODS to feed your Sugar Glider.
http://www.kryskritters.com/SafeFruitsVeggies.html
>>>
>>>
>>>
Here is a list of SAFE / UNSAFE Palnts & Wood.
http://www.moondance-sugargliders.co...nformation.htm

http://www.suzsugargliders.com/yourjoeyscage.htm

R h a p s o d y -
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

would it help her to get used to me if I were to put something of mine in her cage? like my bandanna maybe...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Part of the Pack

Thumbs up

Yes.... that would help a lot.
Placing your scent in her habitat is always a good ideal for bonding, and you could place something with your scent on it in the bonding pouch as you carry her around in it during the day.

R h a p s o d y -
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

ur awesome thanks a lot! the formula is from the breeder he makes it him self. I have the calcium but i need the vitamins. ill look over the links tonight and if I have anything i can't figure out ill keep askin!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Part of the Pack

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmchapma View Post
! the formula is from the breeder he makes it him self.
Then by all means look over the Diet Link I gave you - as the formula you are speaking of maybe already be one of the good diets that is on the list.

Do you happen to know what he called the formual?
BML - HPW - PML ?

R h a p s o d y -
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

he didn't say but he also didn't say much about other foods that i should give her. since he gave me so little supplies (water bottle, pellet style food, and calcium) and info I figured I better look into things a little closer. I'm looking at the diets now I'll try to match it up and see where i'm at.