New suggie mum! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Sugar Glider Discussion Cozy pouches, fluffy tails, bright eyes, and all else sugar glider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question New suggie mum!

I just joined TWO seconds ago, mainly because I'd love advice from fellow suggie owners (or just people that are knowledgeable), instead of hunting for information on the internet (which I've already done). I just got my cutie today, Gizmo (he's 8 weeks old), and he'd a handful already but I'm glad he enjoys being picked up and seems to be crabbing at me for not constantly giving him attention.

WHEN it comes to food, I set some up (varied fresh fruit: grapes, melon, slice of apple and veggies: carrots, cucumbers and some deli ham). I DID mix up a BML mix, veggie relish and fruit smoothie but they need to freeze since I was dumb and didn't think we were getting him today (I thought it was the 16th, but the breeder called me in the morning). So, I've got a lot of that still freezing and it'll be ready for tomorrow. I was just wondering: when does he actually eat? He's been sniffing around but now he's just playing on the wheel/exploring. Is it later during the night? He's already drank plenty of water and some apple juice I set out for him.

Maybe I'm just worrying too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Ah! Now, 2:00AM (I'm a pretty heavy sleeper, but I haven't been able to get to sleep). Gizmo has been on and off crying (sort've like a hiss/crab mix) all night, kinda jumping around and he won't stop until I say his name or make a noise. For a bit, I thought, maybe it's just him kinda freaked out because it's a new place. I've googled it and I can't seem to find any information on it?

Feel bad for the little guy.

Last edited by Yonbi; 10-08-2010 at 12:10 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Rodentologist

He's likely lonely -- sugar gliders are social animals that should be kept in pairs. When they come into our rescue they often spend a few weeks like that if they've been separated from their friend (people will often abandon half of a pair if one is "unfriendly"). They're usually super glad to be introduced to someone new.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I second getting him a friend. They're very social animals that shouldn't be kept alone. I've even seen single gliders start to self-mutilate.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I WOULD normally, since I read that they can get very lonely. Sugar Glider breeders just aren't very common around here in the very Eastern part of Canada, the lady I got him from said that there was another batch of joey's being born in 2 months. She had the same worries that he'd be lonely after being separated from it's family. He just likes being picked up a lot more; and he doesn't nip or bite like she said he did anymore, which it good. He only really crabs when I put him back in the cage or when our dog comes around.

Diet wise; for picky eaters, how do I get him to eat his veggies? I have a BML mix he's not too fond of either, and he doesn't seem to like mealworms. He LOVES fruit, and the fruit smoothie I made him. How do I know if he's eating enough?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 01:57 AM
Part of the Pack

As a past SG owner and breeder I too would suggest that you get him a little when you can or spend more time with him at night (when he is awake) as SG are social animals and need at least one other glider to be happy in life with so they do not become depressed... depressed gliders have been known to die or fail to thrive.

Here is link to my personal website where you can check out the diet section for gliders and picky eaters.... I hope the information found on my website helps.

http://www.freewebs.com/sugargliders4u2/index.htm

R h a p s o d y -
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 02:02 AM
Part of the Pack

Arrow

FOOD for PICKY EATERS - - ->

BASIC VEGETABLE RELISH:

1 - 32 ounce bag of mixed vegetables, defrosted

(green beans, sweet corn, carrots and peas)

4 - fluid ounces of White Grape Juice (100%)

2 - TBSP of Honey

BASIC FRUIT SMOOTHIE

1 - 32 ounce bag of mix fruit, defrosted

4 - fluid ounces of White Grape Juice (100%)

1 - Small Dannon Vanilla Yogurt

2 - TBSP of Honey

.... smoothie can be made with or with out the yogurt
.... both can be mixed with just apple juice for a natural diet

.... place in ice cube tray and freeze. 1 cube per 2 sg per night

R h a p s o d y -

Tags
diet, eat, food, joey, sugar glider