Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
7K views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  Luciana Mottola 
#1 ·
Hi everyone :) This is my new baby Petri, i am so happy today as i have been waiting so long to finally bring my baby suggie home :D . I am feeding her the BML diet as well as fruits and veggies, she has a large cage and lots of toys. What i am wondering is how old you think she is. The people i bought her from told me i "had" to take her today wouldnt say why (i know its fishy but i already had her picked out she was mine no matter what). According to them she is 7 weeks out of the pouch (she came out with her eyes open) which ive been told is a good age to get them at. But to me she seems small and like she might need her mommy still. I dont know, so if anyone can tell me judging by these pictures how old you think she is that would be great. Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sorry guys im about to explode with joy, just waaaaaay to happy and excited :lol: ) :blush:

#3 ·
To me she only looks about 5-6 weeks out of the pouch. I will not sell a Sugar Glider until they are 8 weeks out of the pouch at the earliest. A 8 week old Sugar Glider has a fluffier tail than she appears to have. Hers is still relatively smooth and thin like a much younger glider.

Their eyes usally open about 7-10 days after coming out of the pouch.

She needs to either get back to her mom or you need to hand feed her. Here is a link on handfeeding Joeys. http://www.sugarglider.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=169977&an=0&page=0#169977

#7 · (Edited)
She seems to only want to eat Apple-Strawberry baby food, but im trying to spoon feed her the BML and although she seems interested in it she wont eat any.

Now that i have a minute i will tell the story of how we got her. I have been looking to own a sugarglider for sometime now and after the research i have done i decided to get a female. I asked around town for the names of reputable breeders and got the number of a couple who lives in Victoria, about a 6 hour drive from my town. I talked to the woman on the phone often and she emailed me pics of Petri, they both seemed like really nice people who genuinly cared about their animals. I asked a lot of questions and she usually gave the right answers. So after waiting a whole 4 weeks (longest of my life :)) we met them halfway in parksville and they gave us our new baby. I was shocked at how young she looked but they reassured me that she was well old enough to leave mom and that the sooner they leave the better it is, that the glider would take to me better. I knew this was not true due to my research but i figured they were telling to truth about her being 7 weeks. (A lot of people are now telling me that 8 weeks is the approprite age to leave mom, but i had read 7 weeks in my book and on websites, wish i had known, someone even told me 5 or 6 months!!! :confused: ). I know now that she is too young to be away from her mom and i wish that i hadnt listened to that woman but im going to try to make things right. So ive called the people 3 times tonight trying to get ahold of them to maybe get this glider back to her mother (if thats possible, will mom attack her now that shes been gone?) Noone has answered my calls.

I need to know what more i can do for this girl. I will list what we have going so far:

-Large Glider cage for living in once she is old enough but for now a medium sized cage to keep her warmer

-Heating pad put on low underneath her cage so that if she misses her familys warmth she can lay on her floor blankie

-A really cushy comfortable glider safe sleeping pouch

-Bonding pouch

-Feeding BML by hand and leaving in cage, in addition to finely chopped veggies and fruits, water bottle (of course)

-Toys etc.

She crabs at me quite a bit, but not nearly as much as when we first picked her up, she seems to have taken to me a tiny bit, i have taken to her completely, i am so worried that after finding this perfect angel i am going to lose her due to someone elses impatience and greediness (they must have needed the money at the time or something?). Will my baby girl make it? Is there anything else i can do anything at all? Please i love her so much ......

#9 ·
Please check out the link I posted on handfeeding. You need to get some puppy milk replacer, you can usually find it at a pet store or in the pet section of a store like Walmart. Then you can mix it with the BML. Exact measurements are in the link.

The lady who wrote the information is at www.mylittlegremlin.com and can help you with anymore information on feeding that young a joey.

You also need to make sure she is peeing and pooping on her own. If not you will need to stimulate the area with a warm wash cloth.

You said you were spoon feeding her the BML? If you don't have an eye dropper or syringe, it might be better to put some on your finger and let her lick it off. Touch it to her mouth so she has to lick some off and get the taste of it.

#13 ·
Today i went to the three pet stores in town and only one of them carried puppy milk replacer but didnt have any in stock, im getting really worried, shes eating BML and fruit, shes pooping, im trying to get her to drink, anything else i can do?

Thanks everyone for your help and comments:)

#14 ·
Do you have a Wal-Mart or other store with a pet section? Often times they have the puppy milk replacer in stock. My instinct would be to use goat's milk or evaporated milk instead, but I know nothing about gliders so I'll defer to Catherine on that one.

#16 ·
We have no wal-mart here, actually they are trying to put one in town but everyone is against it because the proposed site is on an estuary.
http://vancouver.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=bc_walmart20050705
Would goats milk be okay? She seems so small, almost as small as a golf ball when shes all rolled up :(. She has completely stolen my heart, this morning i awoke to her making soft whimpering noises, to me it sounded as if she was missing her mom, but the people i got her from havent returned any of my one million calls....
She likes to eat apple strawberry baby food, im assuming that this isnt a great thing for her to be eating right now so im trying to give her more of the BML. She is pooping but i have never seen a sugar glider poop til now and dont know if they are supposed to look moist and light colored or not. All of your help has been great thank you so much, im praying for my baby girl....

#17 ·
Please don't feed her goats milk, I do not know that it is safe.

You need to get her some puppy milk asap. Can you try calling local vets or animal shelters to see if anyone has any or would know where you can get some.

Baby gliders sometimes have soft squishy poo, but regular Sugar Glider poo is a dark colored long pellet, that is pretty dry,

#19 ·
Hi,
Well she looks old enough that you can feed her regular BML with an eyedropper about every 4 hours or so. You can also start giving her meal worms, you may need to break them open and offer her the guts. I know that sounds icky, but they love them. I would offer the BML first, if she eats that than offer her a mealie or some yogurt off your finger. Work up to getting her to eat the mixed veggies. Once she is eating well then you can start feeding her off a small lid or spoon and work on getting her eating on her own. Sometimes you have to hold the dish even in the cage, I guess they think if you don't hand it to them they shouldn't eat it, silly creatures.
I'm sorry this happened to you, no breeder should sell a glider before they are weaned, sometimes they will not be weaned until the age of 10 weeks out of pouch. It just depends on the gliders.
I highly recommend the BML diet for all gliders, I have had over 100 rescued gliders in my home and only had to trick one into eating it. If you alter the diet and if you give too many treats you may find they get pickey. If you need more help with her you can allways call me, and I will help all I can. She is very cute! I would also suggest getting her into the vet for a wellness check.
Angie

#22 ·
Thanks Angie i really appreciate your input. We are going to travel to the next town over today and go to walmart to try and get puppy milk replacer, i will travel anywhere for that lil sug :). She seems to love sleeping in her blanket on the floor of her cage, i put a heating pad underneath it and have it at just the right temp and shes been sleeping there all the time now. I did put ladders and such and things that she could go up on if she gets too warm, that was a big issue for me. When i am not syringe feeding her i leave a sour cream lid in her cage with BML and smushed up fruit, she seems to favor the banana as everytime i go to change out the fruit there are little tiny bite marks all over it :) One other thing ive been meaning to mention is that she sleeps all the time, even at 4 am she is sleeping soundly. I dont know if she gets up after that because im sleeping. Is it normal for joeys to sleep that much? Thanks everyone!!!

#23 ·
Hi,
Young joeys will sleep more, but she should be getting up to play some. Does she have a wheel in her cage? I have found that that is the most important toys for them. I am not sure how to post pictures here, but I have tons of toys in my cages. She may like to have a freind too, they can get very lonely.
I have a page on my website about how we care for our rejected joeys. I have never given puppy replacer but baby BML till they are a month or so old, then regular BML.
We have one small joey that was pulled at less than 1 hour old, his parents have rejected or killed every joey they have had. I had dad neutered and still little Prince was born. He is a little over 3 weeks out of pouch. I have just started putting in a small cage, with a heating pad on low underneath, have toys and a wheel in there. I put him in the wheel and he is learning to use it. He is only 26 grams and so small, but doing great. He is on my hubby or I all the time, so now I am trying to get him used to being away for us for just about 5 minutes at a time, he is getting so rotten and spoiled, but we love him so much. :)
Angie

#24 ·
So i've changed her name :rolleyes: we found that we werent calling her petri as we had originally intended, but we were calling her Sug, so i think that is her name now, i try to always go with whatever seems right in the name dept. So now to talk about important things, she is eating quite a bit of BML now i hand feed it to her every 4 hours and at night leave a sour cream lid in the cage with some in it. When i went to remove the lid this morning (fruit flies you know, uggggh!!) there were lick marks all over it so i know she ate a big meal last night. Also when she was sleeping on my chest this afternoon she let out a few good sized turds, and some more just a few moments ago. She doesnt seem to know how to drink from a water bottle so i am syringe feeding her that too. Im wondering how many cc's of water a day and also how many cc's of BML just so i know that we are on the right track.

This is my baby i love her to no end, she is so so so sweet and perfect, i cant believe how lucky i am and i dont know how i ever lived without her, i know im a cheese but i just really love my Sug :)

Here are some recent pics of her (about 15 minutes ago) i cant see much of a difference but maybe some of you can? Im hoping that she is growing and doing fine. Again all of you help is so appreciated, come to think of it i dont know how i ever lived without Paw-Talk either, it is by far the best forum ever, and everyone on here is just so great. Thanks for helping me and my baby girl!! Any suggestions just let me know ;) :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.