This is Petri - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Sugar Glider Discussion Cozy pouches, fluffy tails, bright eyes, and all else sugar glider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Talking This is Petri

Hi everyone This is my new baby Petri, i am so happy today as i have been waiting so long to finally bring my baby suggie home . I am feeding her the BML diet as well as fruits and veggies, she has a large cage and lots of toys. What i am wondering is how old you think she is. The people i bought her from told me i "had" to take her today wouldnt say why (i know its fishy but i already had her picked out she was mine no matter what). According to them she is 7 weeks out of the pouch (she came out with her eyes open) which ive been told is a good age to get them at. But to me she seems small and like she might need her mommy still. I dont know, so if anyone can tell me judging by these pictures how old you think she is that would be great. Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sorry guys im about to explode with joy, just waaaaaay to happy and excited )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Please someone reply im terrified that she is too young
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 10:59 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

To me she only looks about 5-6 weeks out of the pouch. I will not sell a Sugar Glider until they are 8 weeks out of the pouch at the earliest. A 8 week old Sugar Glider has a fluffier tail than she appears to have. Hers is still relatively smooth and thin like a much younger glider.

Their eyes usally open about 7-10 days after coming out of the pouch.

She needs to either get back to her mom or you need to hand feed her. Here is a link on handfeeding Joeys. http://www.sugarglider.net/ubbthread...&page=0#169977
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 11:09 PM

Here is a picture of 3 healthy 8 week olds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kim2.JPG (57.4 KB, 33 views)
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 11:40 PM

Do you know what diet the breeder was feeding the parents?

BML is definately a good choice though and you can mix that with a bit of puppy milk replacer, like it explains in the link above.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 01:27 AM

I don't know anything about suggies, but i would say there is a big difference between your pics, and the ones from Catherine. Poor little girl. Good luck and let us know what's happening.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

She seems to only want to eat Apple-Strawberry baby food, but im trying to spoon feed her the BML and although she seems interested in it she wont eat any.

Now that i have a minute i will tell the story of how we got her. I have been looking to own a sugarglider for sometime now and after the research i have done i decided to get a female. I asked around town for the names of reputable breeders and got the number of a couple who lives in Victoria, about a 6 hour drive from my town. I talked to the woman on the phone often and she emailed me pics of Petri, they both seemed like really nice people who genuinly cared about their animals. I asked a lot of questions and she usually gave the right answers. So after waiting a whole 4 weeks (longest of my life ) we met them halfway in parksville and they gave us our new baby. I was shocked at how young she looked but they reassured me that she was well old enough to leave mom and that the sooner they leave the better it is, that the glider would take to me better. I knew this was not true due to my research but i figured they were telling to truth about her being 7 weeks. (A lot of people are now telling me that 8 weeks is the approprite age to leave mom, but i had read 7 weeks in my book and on websites, wish i had known, someone even told me 5 or 6 months!!! ). I know now that she is too young to be away from her mom and i wish that i hadnt listened to that woman but im going to try to make things right. So ive called the people 3 times tonight trying to get ahold of them to maybe get this glider back to her mother (if thats possible, will mom attack her now that shes been gone?) Noone has answered my calls.

I need to know what more i can do for this girl. I will list what we have going so far:

-Large Glider cage for living in once she is old enough but for now a medium sized cage to keep her warmer

-Heating pad put on low underneath her cage so that if she misses her familys warmth she can lay on her floor blankie

-A really cushy comfortable glider safe sleeping pouch

-Bonding pouch

-Feeding BML by hand and leaving in cage, in addition to finely chopped veggies and fruits, water bottle (of course)

-Toys etc.

She crabs at me quite a bit, but not nearly as much as when we first picked her up, she seems to have taken to me a tiny bit, i have taken to her completely, i am so worried that after finding this perfect angel i am going to lose her due to someone elses impatience and greediness (they must have needed the money at the time or something?). Will my baby girl make it? Is there anything else i can do anything at all? Please i love her so much ......

Last edited by Phawn; 07-11-2005 at 05:33 AM.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

by the way i've been up all night watching her sleep and trying to get her eating, thats why the post is so long: drowsy rambling
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 08:52 AM

Please check out the link I posted on handfeeding. You need to get some puppy milk replacer, you can usually find it at a pet store or in the pet section of a store like Walmart. Then you can mix it with the BML. Exact measurements are in the link.

The lady who wrote the information is at www.mylittlegremlin.com and can help you with anymore information on feeding that young a joey.

You also need to make sure she is peeing and pooping on her own. If not you will need to stimulate the area with a warm wash cloth.

You said you were spoon feeding her the BML? If you don't have an eye dropper or syringe, it might be better to put some on your finger and let her lick it off. Touch it to her mouth so she has to lick some off and get the taste of it.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 11:03 AM

Yuo can try to get a hold on AngieH on here. right now she's having to hand feed a baby every 1 1/2 hours! She may know some tricks, or be able to help. I don't think you'll lose her! Just try to feed her asap. btw, she's adorable, good luck!!
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Best of luck! She's adorable.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 06:31 PM

I dont know anything about sugar gliders, but she is very cute!
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Today i went to the three pet stores in town and only one of them carried puppy milk replacer but didnt have any in stock, im getting really worried, shes eating BML and fruit, shes pooping, im trying to get her to drink, anything else i can do?

Thanks everyone for your help and comments
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Do you have a Wal-Mart or other store with a pet section? Often times they have the puppy milk replacer in stock. My instinct would be to use goat's milk or evaporated milk instead, but I know nothing about gliders so I'll defer to Catherine on that one.

Stephanie

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 09:11 PM

I have asked over at Glider Central. I am not sure if you can replace it with goats milk or not.

I know some people use wombaroo which you can buy online.

Tags
animal shelter, animal shelters, doing fine, heating pad, meal worms, pet store, pet stores, reputable breeder, sugar glider, sugar gliders