Petshop Glider? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Sugar Glider Discussion Cozy pouches, fluffy tails, bright eyes, and all else sugar glider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 11:20 AM
Akasha

Petshop Glider?

Bah I have a 6 month old sugar glider girl right now and I am looking for a friend for her. Last night i found a 5-7 month old (not sure they said he was born feb. 1st so i'm not sure if thats oop). I don't really like the conditions he's in right now, but i just don't want to buy him to rescue him. I really want my little girl to have a friend but I don't know if i should pick up the little boy. I dunno any idea's or anyone give me some questions I could ask the pet store.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 08:28 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Akasha I am still learning about gliders but here are a few questions I would ask.
1.One thing I would ask is background info on parents etc.
2.What are they feeding him as in his daily diet.
3.If they got him from a breeder get the name of the breeder if they will give it to you.
I have only bought a few hamsters from a petshop but most came from a USDA breeder.
What kind of condition is he in exactly?It is hard to walk away but you must also realize if you buy him they will only replace him with another.I would question the manager about his condition and try to get them to do better with the glider some smaller shops will get animals and know nothing about them.Inform them if they don't change and make it better report them to proper authorities.
There is only one shop in my area that I deal with now and I trust her.but have never bought a pet from her but if sje got in a pet I wanted I would buy from her.She listens to what I tell her and never puts sexes together.all pets male/female are in seperate homes.It is a very clean shop as well.I hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 10:10 AM
Akasha

This pet shop deals with exotics a lot mostly snakes, lizards, inverts. But this is the first time I have ever seen them with a glider. I had asked them in the past if they get them and they said very, very rarely. A lady I was talking to who works there told me she used to breed them so in theory she knows what she's doing (but only in theory) I still have to go there and pick through every little detail that I find out of place. There's so much mixed up information on gliders that I only go by what i think from a million different sources and several people who have been taking care of gliders for years. bah mush resist until I know all the facts. *sigh* thanx runt for giving me a few questions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 10:25 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

You are welcome Akasha.I have the same problem>i usually check into breeders ifo and then I checked with the sugar glider associations and put all together and do what most do on feeding and care.
I know it is hard to resist buying from a petshop.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 11:46 AM
Akasha

Alright I checked out the glider at the pet store. There's no toxic wood in his cage like ceder shavings or anything. He's such a sweetie very sweet falls asleep in your hand if u rub his tummy. I got some background info on him. He was oop march 1st he was twins with his brother but they wern't getting along so his mommy gave him to the pet store. I took my little girl in to meet him and he loves her she's terrified lol it will take some getting used to for her but i think she'll manage. If anything I'll keep them in seperate cages and keep him as my sucky baby. hehe i think she will get used to him slowly. What do u think?

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 03:16 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

He sounds like a sweety.Do they remember who the lady was they got him from?
I have a male and female but they are Father daughter in seperate cages.I am going to get a male and female to go with them later on after I do more research on them.I suppose if you put the cages next to each other they may start getting along to where they can be together.I think I read somewhere the female needs to be a year old before breeding.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 03:33 PM
Akasha

i've been told that i should keep the male in a cage in the females cage so that she can get used to him. i think i'm going to get him anyways and slowly introduce them.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 03:43 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Good luck with getting them together.If you get any oics I would love to see pics.
Also if you have a qualified exoctic Vet I would have him checked out thoroughly before trying to breed just to be safe.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 03:57 PM
Akasha

yeah i have a vet near me that i will take him to if i get him before i keep them together.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 02:19 AM
Akasha

heres a pic of my baby kee'da

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 02:20 AM
Akasha

and another

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 02:21 AM
Akasha

another

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 02:22 AM
Akasha

her cage i made

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 02:22 AM
Akasha

i do have a few more if your interested

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 08:58 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

She is so beautiful.I like your cage.Did you make it yourself.I always love to see pics.

Tags
doing fine, pet shop, pet store, pet stores, seperate cages, sugar glider