Please help, my glider is acting strange - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Sugar Glider Discussion Cozy pouches, fluffy tails, bright eyes, and all else sugar glider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Please help, my glider is acting strange

Hello, I love my sugar glider and I have recently noticed a pretty startling habit of his. Whenever I take my glider out of his cage and he is put on any fabric, he will bite it constantly. I had a blanket that I put over the cage so the gliders won't get bothered by the bright light during the day, and when I take him out and put him on the blanket he would bite it. I didn't think it was a big deal because it didn't harm anything, but now when he climbs on me, he will get up to my shoulder and bite my shirt and he will bite me through it. Yesterday he started biting the metal cage, which is probably damaging his teeth.

He has plenty of toys and perches that he can chew on, but he doesn't. I am worried that he might start biting his sister.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:55 AM
Part of the Pack

Question

How much out of cage time is he getting on a regular basis?

Have you changed the scent of any thing? - as gliders are very sensitive to smells.

R h a p s o d y -
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
How much out of cage time is he getting on a regular basis?

Have you changed the scent of any thing? - as gliders are very sensitive to smells.
He doesn't really get out of the cage that often. They usually only wake up around 3 AM. I don't think it is the scents because he bites all fabric, which would have different scents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblackfox View Post
He doesn't really get out of the cage that often. They usually only wake up around 3 AM.

I personally would wake then up every night before you go to bed and spend at least 30 minutes with them....... this time together is very important to the bonding process between them and you.

Just think about it? - How you like it to be closed up in a bathroom all the time, even if it had windows...... they feel the same way as they were made to glide and jump and they cannot do this in the cage.

Good Luck....

R h a p s o d y -
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
I personally would wake then up every night before you go to bed and spend at least 30 minutes with them....... this time together is very important to the bonding process between them and you.

Just think about it? - How you like it to be closed up in a bathroom all the time, even if it had windows...... they feel the same way as they were made to glide and jump and they cannot do this in the cage.

Good Luck....
Thanks for the advice, it's just kinda hart to get my gliders to wake up sometimes. I have them in a pouch with me during the day, but I don't spend enough time playing with them.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 01:24 PM

Is your boy neutered?

If not, you should get his fixed asap! Otherwise he'll breed with his sister.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Newborn Pup

Mine wake up around midnight, usually.

Can you have some tent time with your suggies? A cheap Walmart tent is all it takes. Have some honey, baby food, apple sauce, or yogurt that you can stick your fingers into and let your suggies lick off. Put some toys in the tent. Mine LOVE the cat's feather toys.

Then wake your suggies up, and have some fun. It may take them a little bit of time to wake up, but be patient.

Mine seem to do very well on a routine, and now will wake up at 11pm-12am on their own, looking for dinner and some play time.

Tags
sugar glider