Prospective new suger glider owner - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Sugar Glider Discussion Cozy pouches, fluffy tails, bright eyes, and all else sugar glider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Prospective new suger glider owner

I've been doing quite a bit of research the past few weeks on sugar gliders, and i have decided that they would be the right pets for me.
However it seems that over the net no 2 sites will ever seem to tell you the same thing, so i thought it best to ask a few questions here.
Firstly my mum has an allergy to fur, its not bad but if an animal tends to malt alot then it can aggitate her. Do sugar gliders lose their fur? and if so is alot/noticable?
Also they will be kept in my room, so once they are bonded to me are they likely to make alot of noise at night? And how bad would they smell?
Also i have a tendancy to stay overnight at my other halfs once/twice a week. Would it be possible to just put some extra food out for them, or would this not work?
Thanks for any advice you can give me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Hi!

They do still make noise at night, even when bonded to you. Since they are nocturnal, they jump around and play at night. If you're a light sleeper, they might wake you up running around in their wheels or playing. They also bark. I think their barking is about as loud as a dogs squeaky toy, if you want something to compare it to. Some bark more than others. They make other sounds too, but the barking is the loudest you're likely to hear at night.

I don't think they smell bad - I actually kind of like the smell. They smell kind of sweet. They don't smell as strongly as ferrets do. If you keep their cage clean and feed them a proper diet the smell shouldn't be unmanageable. Also, intact males smell the worse. So either get neutered males, or females if you're really worried about the smell.

They need to eat fresh foods - you can't just leave pellets out for them like you could with some pets. If you're only gone for one night and fed them right before you left, that would probably be okay. But if you're gone for more than one night I wouldn't leave them alone.

I have pretty bad allergies and sugar gliders don't bother me, but everyone is different. Maybe you could find a breeder or someone who owns them in the area and go meet their gliders? You could take your mom with you and see how she does around them with her allergies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks alot for the info =)

Im quite a heavy sleeper so i dont think it would be too bad.

How easy would it be for a vet to neuter a male? In the UK suggies are quite rare as pets, so finding a vet that knows how to treat them properly would be difficult.

Also strange question but can suggies bond with Degus? I've seen videos and pictures of them bonded with other animals like cats and dogs, im wondering if the same could be done for Degus? Or would they both fight alot, as degus tend to be a bit on the aggresive side
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't keep them together with degu's, no. I don't know much about degu's but sugar gliders can actually be pretty aggressive to other animals too. I have heard of them killing pet mice and rats. Generally keeping two different species together in a cage isn't a good idea.

I think that them interacting with other pets like dogs is different then the way they bond and interact with other gliders. Dogs and cats and other pets don't really "speak the same language" as gliders do. Although they might get along, I would never let them interact without supervision and a pet of a different species isn't a replacement for a glider friend.

I don't know about in the UK. I know here in the US as long as you can find a good exotics vet that has sugar glider experience, it usually isn't a big deal to have them neutered. Sometimes you can even buy neutered males from breeders, usually for cheaper than you could buy an intact male. You could always get two females, but even if you don't plan on getting any neutered it's very important with any pet to have a vet to take them too in case of emergency.

They can be good pets for the right people, and it's good that you're doing your research. One thing, other than things you already mentioned like noise and smell, that seems to turn a lot of people off is that they can be pretty messy. They can not be potty trained, and seem to like to throw food around pretty often too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Its just the other half has 2 pet degus, and i live quite far away, so when i stay over i have a tendancy to stop for 1/2 nights, but if there was a way i could maybe take my gliders with me, but they wouldnt be able to have their own cage at night. It was just a thought.

Im not too bothered about the mess and lack of potty training. Though is their feces hard or soft? If they were to poop/pee on me is it easily cleaned off? Or would be it best to wear an old tshirt when handling them.

Tags
advice needed, sugar glider