Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Selfishness leaves this glider sick...

7K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  damsel911 
#1 ·
This is aweful. I am in the process of learning some stuff but was wondering if anyone here could help out some.

A regular customer at work (PetCo) always comes in to get crickets for her glider. I always tease her saying I'm going to steal him because i've always wanted one. She almost gave him to me because they have NO time for him but her daughter (as any child would) got upset. I believe it's the parent's call and decision. Whatever is best for the animal and the people involved.

Last Friday her daughter came to my register and asked if I could do her a favor. She looked desperate so I didn't ask what it was, I just said Ok. Her grandfather died and they were going to go out of town for a week. She asked if I could baby sit her glider for her. I said of course and she jumped and said "Ok. We're leaving in a few minutes." NOT what I expected.

To make a long story short all they were feeding him was about 3 crickets a day, dry cat food, a tbl spoon of yogurt, and about a square inch of caneloupe and half of a grape. NOT enough food AT ALL. They didn't have a staple diet for him or anything. He stunk (as well as his cage) and has been with THREE different families. He's about 6 I'm guessing and isn't too friendly. He'll let me pick him up (he resists but he doesnt bite me) and he loves when I pet him and hand feed him but he's not your 'friendly glider'.

They had him in a VERY small bird cage with one bird nest and a wooden perch. No toys or a puch or ANYTHING. I got him out of that and put him into a chinchilla maternity cage we had laying around. I know it's not the best but it's so much better than what he was in.

I need to know what they need in their cage. I put two of my shirts (so he could smell me so I could eventually carry him around), his pouch I bought him, his bird nest (That he NEVER uses), a leap and ledge, a steal wood perch, paper towels on the bottom and some toys. I also need to know how to tell if he's sick. I'm thinking (from what I've read) that he has lumpy jaw caused by eating the cat food they were feeding him daily. Also how to persuade her to letting me have him (I'm going to offer her money of course), and whatelse I need to know. If I can keep him I'm going to start the BML diet plan. I'm so worried about everything about this little guy. He doesn't stink as much as he did but he still has some rough crusty spots of pee pee in his fur. He acts uncomfortable while eating and he doesn't drink much. He was extremely dehyrated when they handed him to me and he's very skinny compared to the glider pics I've seen online. I've given him some gatorade and grapes to hydrate him. I knew NOTHING about gliders until a few days ago. Within 5 YEARS they could've learned a lot more than they know.

I am at school so I'm going to keep this short for now.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.