Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seriously thinking of getting a sugar glider...

20K views 33 replies 6 participants last post by  Sasami 
#1 ·
After researching for over two years, I think I'm almost ready to add a sugar glider to my home. However, I'd like to talk to people who actually have them first and I have a few questions...
Are mealworms a good source of protein or is there a better insect to feed? Do all sugar gliders like them?
I heard that they tend to go to the bathroom on their owners. I don't mind this, however, is there any way to help prevent it? I've heard of some owners training their suggies to go on a paper towel before leaving the cage. Is this actually possible?
What fruits and veggies are best for a sugarglider? Are there any that they should be getting more of then others?
I've heard that some people give their gliders a powdery nector substance in their water and seen brands of it advertised. Is it necassary?
What vitamins do you give your gliders?
Also, I kind of wanted to only get one at first. I think I would get a bit stressed by getting two new gliders at once. But I've heard that they can get lonely without a buddy. I plan on having the sugarglider out as much as possible. I'd play with it in the evening for at least 2 or 3 hours. Is this ok?
Oh, and how do you train them to stay in the pouch? It just seems like they would want to come out. And what bonding methods do you recommend? Is using a tent a good idea?
Thanks in advance :)

See less See more
#31 ·
I've been hearing from everyone and all over sites that sugar gliders rarely ever, if ever, do not return home if they escape. However, my sugar glider got loose at 1:30 am on Monday and ran up a tree. We tried all the tricks people suggested and left his cage out and all and still no return. Do you think he will still return at this point? :/

Thanks!

#32 ·
I am kind of going through the same tidous process of doing research on things before hand two.....I really think that adding a a pair of sugar gliders into my life would be great. lol I tend to have kind of a clingy needy nature to me and it kind of off sets the people that I date.
so having a animal that is clingy and needy almost sound perfect I need something that is a keen to a companion animal for me. and if its small and can be caged easily then I can keep it in my apartment without having to worry about bills for it.
i love my hammies to death but they drive me up the wall, with having to train them not to flip out anytime I see them and robos are by far the most strenuous to tame down.
ironically the area that the guy I am seeing lives in there are several sugar glider breeders out there so I am thinking of making times to go out there meet with them and have them sit me down and talk with me about what all keeping suggies would require.
lol not that I have not done research myself. I am going to school currently to become a vet tech and nearly everyone that i have meet at school knows my interests lie in Pocket pets, exotics, zoo animals, and equines. lol I do like cats and dogs I just prefer more variety then just that within a clinic i would work in i think.

#33 ·
I've been hearing from everyone and all over sites that sugar gliders rarely ever, if ever, do not return home if they escape. However, my sugar glider got loose at 1:30 am on Monday and ran up a tree. We tried all the tricks people suggested and left his cage out and all and still no return. Do you think he will still return at this point? :/

Thanks!
I had an iguana years ago that ran away and came back after three days..

#34 ·
This thread is over six years old so I'm not sure why it keeps getting bumped. I decided against getting gliders for now and am closing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.