Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seriously thinking of getting a sugar glider...

20K views 33 replies 6 participants last post by  Sasami 
#1 ·
After researching for over two years, I think I'm almost ready to add a sugar glider to my home. However, I'd like to talk to people who actually have them first and I have a few questions...
Are mealworms a good source of protein or is there a better insect to feed? Do all sugar gliders like them?
I heard that they tend to go to the bathroom on their owners. I don't mind this, however, is there any way to help prevent it? I've heard of some owners training their suggies to go on a paper towel before leaving the cage. Is this actually possible?
What fruits and veggies are best for a sugarglider? Are there any that they should be getting more of then others?
I've heard that some people give their gliders a powdery nector substance in their water and seen brands of it advertised. Is it necassary?
What vitamins do you give your gliders?
Also, I kind of wanted to only get one at first. I think I would get a bit stressed by getting two new gliders at once. But I've heard that they can get lonely without a buddy. I plan on having the sugarglider out as much as possible. I'd play with it in the evening for at least 2 or 3 hours. Is this ok?
Oh, and how do you train them to stay in the pouch? It just seems like they would want to come out. And what bonding methods do you recommend? Is using a tent a good idea?
Thanks in advance :)

See less See more
#2 ·
hello! I have owned sugar gliders for about 7 years now. I congradulate your decision in researching before taking a glider into your family. I wish I would have researched more before getting my guys but I have sure learned a lot. Well.. your first question:
mealworms.. they are a great source of protein and I feed them every now and then but they are not something that I feed every day. I feed my guys zookeepers secret which also has added protein along with several other necessities (suncoast sugar gliders). I found, personally, that the suncoast feed worked better then bml (another popular glider feed). I feed zookeepers secret with frozen fruits and veggies nightly. I give mealworms mainly for treats because they will neglect their other food if given a choice.
bathroom..
I take my guys out and let them sit on a paper towel before I allow them to crawl on me. They do learn what's expected of them pouches..
Gliders instinctively like to hide in something dark and safe so I don't believe you'll need to give them much assurance to go into the pouch
extra vitamins..
I do also feed vitamins maybe 3 or 4 times a week that I add on to the zookeepers food. I use rep cal and small animal vitamins (suncoast web site again). Sometimes as an extra treat I use glider nectar mixed with some kind of a juice or just water. They enjoy that.
companionship: gliders are very social animals and they really enjoy company from others of their kind and you. I own three sugar gliders at the moment and they all live together. If you are planning on only getting one, you will just have to spend a lot more time. It can also be harder to introduce another sugar glider into the family once your sugar glider is used to you and it's surroundings.
Hope I haven't forgotten anything..
Sorry if this is overwhelming!
good luck ;)
Kristina

#3 ·
Thanks for replying :).

I was going to feed the Suncoast sugar glider diet as well. I know that alot of people feed Zookeeper's secret but I was wondering what other feeds are ok? I have two available here...Brisky's and some other kind which I forgot the name of ^_^;. The pellets are multi-colored. It'd just be alot easier if I could get it at the petstore instead of online. I don't want to run out and have to wait for the next shipment or something.

Also, I like rescuing animals and was thinking of getting a glider from a shelter or something. But then I've heard that by adopting an adult it isn't as likely to bond to me as a baby. So do you think I should get a baby? What should I look for when selecting a glider? At one petstore, they have gliders that are handled but they resist being held most of the time and sometimes bite. Is is normal for gliders to bite? Or should I go somewhere else?

Sorry for all the questions.

#4 ·
your welcome! :D
I did try Brisky's at one point in time and it didn't seem to work to well. I don't believe it was a very good main source for our little guys, though I know what you mean about the convenience. However, zookeepers is a great deal! It comes in a big pack and as long as you keep it sealed, it'll last a very long time. It lasts my three guys prolly 2-3 months. Try typing in google "Suncoast sugar gliders" they have some great supplies. I ordered my cage, food, toys, and other glider supplies. I don't know what I would do with out it.
I would recommend you find a good breeder cause petstores can have some bad effects on sugar gliders. All the ones that I have come into contact with were pretty much scarred for life :( My guys I raised from babies so they are very friendly. There are some good breeders that would probally ship. It's a good idea to get one from an experienced breeder that way you are more sure that they are sound and healthy. You may want to look at a website called Sandman's sugar gliders. I believe it sells some little guys but I'm not sure if there are any for sale at this moment. Take a look! :glide:
Kristina

#5 ·
actually I don't think it was brisky's that I tried with my guys but it was a multi colored dry food. That is the food I ment. I think it was called "sugar glider food" or something like that. lol. I don't really trust that stuff :no:
Kristina

#6 ·
Thanks for the info. I've been looking at breeders as well. This petstore is pretty nice, though. They don't have the gliders out in the daytime and they have a huge cage. They seemed pretty healthy to me.

I was considering having one shipped but I thought it might be too stressful on the animal. Do you think it would have a negative effect?

I'll look at more breeders, though :). There are a couple I know of in New York but they're quite a distance away.

#7 ·
After researching for over two years, I think I'm almost ready to add a sugar glider to my home. However, I'd like to talk to people who actually have them first and I have a few questions...
Are mealworms a good source of protein or is there a better insect to feed? Do all sugar gliders like them?
As well as being used for Protein mealworms help to clean the gliders teeth! I haven't met a glider that doesn't like them! Young gliders don't always know what they are, and you may have to squeeze out some of the guts and touch it to their mouth for them to get the taste of it!

I heard that they tend to go to the bathroom on their owners. I don't mind this, however, is there any way to help prevent it? I've heard of some owners training their suggies to go on a paper towel before leaving the cage. Is this actually possible?

They will usually pee a little and do a poop or two. The poop is pretty solid. You aren't a true Glider owner unless you have been pooped on! :lol:

What fruits and veggies are best for a sugarglider? Are there any that they should be getting more of then others?

I have a list of fruits and veg on the diet page of my website. www.critterhill.com Click on Sugar Gliders and then you'll see a link to diets.

I've heard that some people give their gliders a powdery nector substance in their water and seen brands of it advertised. Is it necassary?

If you use it do so as a treat. We have had gliders for nearly 4 years now and I have never used it. My gliders are happy and healthy.

What vitamins do you give your gliders?

We feed the BML diet and it contains Repcal Calcium and Repcal Herptivite. You will need to pick a proven diet and see what vitamins it requires, they don't all use the same.

Also, I kind of wanted to only get one at first. I think I would get a bit stressed by getting two new gliders at once. But I've heard that they can get lonely without a buddy. I plan on having the sugarglider out as much as possible. I'd play with it in the evening for at least 2 or 3 hours. Is this ok?

Some gliders do fine on their own if they have lots and lots of attention from their human, but they do love company of their own kind. Many owners who get just one end up getting another one later anyway. And then you will need another cage, and will have to wait until the gliders are similar in size before you can put them together. They also live for up to 15 years so you need to decide whether you can continue giving just one so much time in the evening, for that many years.

Oh, and how do you train them to stay in the pouch? It just seems like they would want to come out.

Treats!!!

If you are going to buy a bonding pouch I would also buy one that is escape proof. www.sweetandsoursugargliders.com has the best bonding pouch EVER!! The sissy pouch may be a littler pricier than some, but it is worth every penny! And Alicia who makes them is such a wonderful person!

And what bonding methods do you recommend? Is using a tent a good idea?

Definately get a tent, they really help with the bonding process and make a great safe area for you and your glider to play. I also have information on tent bonding on my website! http://www.critterhill.com/TentTime.html

My website is always under construction so excuse any mess you might find!

#8 ·
Please don't feed the multi colored Sugar Glider food. It is actually Iguana food repackaged! It makes your glider smell more and really isn't very healthy.

If you are going to feed the Suncoast Diet, you need to feed zookeepers not replace it with something else. They have designed the diet to have the right balance of calcium phosphorous and if you replace something in it, you will be throwing of the balance.

I wouldn't buy from a pet store if I was you. :)

I think PocketAngels is in New York. Google it and you should find her website. Or she might know someone nearer you.

#9 ·
I got my first sugar glider from an unknown breeder (I was quite young at the time. My parents had taken in a sugar glider but now I have taken them over as my pets ;) lol.) and it turned out that she had a few medical issues that later caught up to her and she had to be put down..
so I believe your safest bet is to find a well known breeder that really understands sugar gliders and breeds healthy babies so that the move from old home to new home is better.
I can't stress enough though how much easier my life is now that I have more then one sugar glider! lol. At one point in time I had one sugar glider and she barked constantly, nearly all night, because she wanted to play. I took her out a lot, but it was never enough because she got very lonely. She knew if she continued to bark that I would have to wake eventually. :) They are very social. Just be prepared to turn into a night owl! lol :D

#10 ·
Thanks guys :).

I'll check out your website, Catherine, and search for breeders nearby.

I wasn't really planning on feeding the multi-colored food anyways. It didn't look that great.

I'll have to order some Zookeeper's =). How long does it take to arrive? I'd like to know how much in advance I should order it prior to getting a glider :).

I'm sure I'll end up with two sugar gliders at some point, but I'd rather start with just one.

I'm already a nightowl, part of why a sugarglider will be a good pet for me, lol. :lol:

Thanks again :D.

#11 ·
I just ordered some more zookeepers for my guys and it's supposed to arrive within five bussiness days but mine arrived in about 3! So that was awsome! I also recommend this product called "Pure air" I believe it's called, also at Suncoast. I just ordered that aswell because lately my guys have been going to the bathroom in just one portion of the cage and I cannot empty the whole bottom of their cage all the time so it starts to reek VERY soon. I just spray a little bit on the soiled area and it's MAGICALLY gone. lol. It works great and it's designed to be sugar glider safe. It's been working great so far. :D of course the cage still has to be cleaned often, but the product definately does it's job.
Gliders really are great pets so I think it's exciting that you are able to get one! :spot:

#12 ·
That's good :). I thought it might take weeks to come or something...

I'll look for that "pure air'' stuff as well...might be helpful for the other animals as well :).

Yeah, I can't wait to get my glider :). It probably won't be for a little while since I have to find a breeder and all but I'd like to get one by spring :D.

One more question (sorry! lol), alot of people let their gliders have free-range of a room during playtime...how do you get them back in the cage? It seems like they'd hide up ontop of a bookshelf or something ^_^;. Should I use a harness and leash until my glider's trained? Are harnesses a good idea? And should I let my sugarglider play outside when it's nice out on a leash? Or will that stress it out?

TikisFinity said:
I just ordered some more zookeepers for my guys and it's supposed to arrive within five bussiness days but mine arrived in about 3! So that was awsome! I also recommend this product called "Pure air" I believe it's called, also at Suncoast. I just ordered that aswell because lately my guys have been going to the bathroom in just one portion of the cage and I cannot empty the whole bottom of their cage all the time so it starts to reek VERY soon. I just spray a little bit on the soiled area and it's MAGICALLY gone. lol. It works great and it's designed to be sugar glider safe. It's been working great so far. :D of course the cage still has to be cleaned often, but the product definately does it's job.
Gliders really are great pets so I think it's exciting that you are able to get one! :spot:

#13 ·
I only allow my guys out because I know them well and I know that I will find them again so you definately should have your glider bonded and familiar with you before letting it roam from you. No matter what, I am always keeping a sharp eye on my guys because they get into EVERYTHING lol. but I love them! As for harnesses, no no! They're very bad and gliders have been known to strangle themselves in even the most safe ones. Also the harness tightens around the membrane area and if the glider decides to glide with it on it could seriously harm itself. Since the harnesses aren't a very good idea it's not good to let them roam outside. Even though they may love you and be well trained, they still have the instincts to run (even my guys are looking out for a small crack to escape through). Oh and be sure when you get a cage that it has no openings in which your lil dude can escape! I have had to give cages up because my gliders mastered their escapes. Also, I have a travel cage, that to this day, I still don't know how they could possibly escape! I have one cage, that I purchased from suncoast that is the only one that I've tried that can keep them contained and safe! My guys are like lil hudinees (sp?).
The only bad thing about having more then one glider is keeping track of them. When I take my guys out of the cage (I have three) I am prepared to spend half the night looking for them lol. I used to panic when they went missing but now I know they will show up. Once my parents awoke to them jumping on their bed in the middle of the night lol!! :D that was funny.
Keep the questions comming, it's great!
Kristina

#14 ·
Thanks. I was asking about the harnesses because I had seen harnesses that claimed to be 'glider-safe'. But I guess that's not true.

One more thing I thought of, what make good treats for sugargliders? :D

#15 ·
there are a few that say "glider safe" but I just wouldn't trust them! I'd have to hear more about it too, I just don't see how any harness would be safe on them :confused:
About treats.. I give my guys raisons and a few little pieces of nuts (but they are really fattening so I give very few. walnuts, peacons, etc.) umm.. licky treats (yogurt) and mealworms of course haha. Can't think of any more off the top of my head. But my guys will eat their zookeepers and take that as a treat aswell! They never seem to get sick of it. :)

#16 ·
Thanks :). Yeah, I wish I remembered where I had seen those harnesses.

I'm still looking for a good breeder. Alot of them seem to be way upstate which is too far. Pocket Angels is in Rockland County. I don't remember where that is so I'm gonna go look it up.

#17 ·
hmm.. I can't think of any breeders where you live.. would you consider shipping? I don't believe shipping would have any bad effects on a glider any more then a car ride would.. but I've never recieved or sent off any gliders that way :scratch2:

#18 ·
I actually found a small breeder in the same city as me! I e-mailed them and hopefully they'll respond. If not, I probably have to ship. It's just that it's expensive and I would be worried about something happening to the glider.

#20 ·
TikisFinity said:
that's great news! I would, like you, much rather get my glider by hand then shipping! :woot2:
hope it works out!
Thanks :D. I hope it does too! Now it's time to shop around for cages and stuff :). Do you have any pics of your enclosure?

#22 ·
TikisFinity said:
you're welcome! :D
this is my cage! I got it from Suncoast and most of the items that come with it when you buy the whole package. It's great and is the perfect size!
http://www.sugar-gliders.com/sturdy-cage.htm

Thanks :). I remember seeing that before when I was researching ^_^. I want to get the cage with the expanded supplies pack :).

Well, the e-mail didn't go through to the breeder =/. I guess they changed e-mail addresses or don't breed gliders anymore? So I have to keep looking.

#24 ·
oh wow. Completely ignore my last message. I'm so out of it from taking the SAT today! haha. I thought you ment the cage, not the glider. :banghead: lol!
I hope you can find another breeder! I hate to say to look in the newspaper because you don't know if the breeders are good or not, but you may find one for sale. :shrug: you never know, you might find one that way if you're going for it locally.

#25 ·
Yeah, I've been looking in the newspaper and on petfinder as well. A while ago, there were several for sale around here and now that I'm getting one I can't find any :lol:. Figures.

#26 ·
lol! That's always how it is! I remember getting my cats.. My parents finally agreed to allow me to get a cat (and all the other times there was TONS of cats to choose from) but when I was actually looking there was hardly ANY! I finally rescued two from friends of gummi. They're good cats but they're spoiled ROTTEN! They sleep on a down comforter! I mean, common! My bed isn't even that nice!! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.