Someone PLEASE debunk this for me... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Sugar Glider Discussion Cozy pouches, fluffy tails, bright eyes, and all else sugar glider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Someone PLEASE debunk this for me...

Ok; so I was just on the phone with my mom, who earlier went to the mall, and to the pet store in the mall, where there were kits for Sugar BEARS, and I guess signs that said they'd be available in a little while. I guess it's a bunch of people(my terms, not her's) that are going to be bringing in Sugar Bears to sell, and they do it once every year.

Okay.... So, let me reiterate that these are Sugar Bears, not Sugar Gliders. My mom said she was considering, that, after her cat has died, and her bird has passed, on getting a Sugar Bear.

I told her it probably wouldn't be a good idea, because from what I've read they're high-maintenance due to their diet, and can be very noisey(that I got from expertvillage videos - and when I looked at the comments, everyone was telling them that the information they were providing were inaccurate: information such as they're only as messy as their cage, they can be litter-trained... stuff like that). I also read today, after visiting the website for the actual association for Sugar Bears, that advancements have been made in their nutrition, and it is safe to make their staple a good pelleted diet.

So...what's the deal? Are they noisey, are they not noisey....are they messy, are they not real messy..... and can they live a long, healthy, happy life on a good pelleted food, or do they absolutely need a natural diet of crickets and grubs, and mealworms, and fruit, and nectar?

Halpz! Plz and thank you.

This way I can update my bookmarks with correct information if need be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Rodentologist

Sugar bears and sugar gliders appear to be the same thing -- they're the same species. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Glider

I have heard many sugar glider folks complain about the 'sugar bears' page as being wildly inaccurate, and simply a tool to shill expensive animals off on people who didn't know any better.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Okay, so...then they absolutely cannot survive on a staple diet of Sugar Glider pellets, are very noisy, and messy? The little pamphlet my mom picked up said nothing about their noisiness or anything like that - it just said to buy a good Sugar Glider food. It said nothing about sticking to their wild diet of insects, sap, and fruit. It said they were low-maintenance, very clean animals who never needed to be bathed. That they were marsupials....etc etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Rodentologist

Well, they may be able to "survive", but I doubt they'd thrive. These are the same type of shysters that sell rabbits as "cuddly pets good for children". Some people will do anything to make a buck.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

So then the people that are coming to show off adoptable gliders would most certainly not be good people to buy from.....I'm assuming it was their pamphlet that they were handing out to people. Because the websites they listed as sources were the websites I found(like...the actual association website) that said nutritional advancements have been made as far as Sugar Glider food goes, and it's perfectly fine, and in fact, advisable, to make their staple diet pelleted.

These were the two sites that they sourced:

http://www.mynasga.org/

http://www.asgv.org/
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Rodentologist

Yeah, they're phony associations set up by glider millers:

http://www.sugargliderhelp.com/links...iled/1620.html

They own all of those websites.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Rodentologist

More info on this:
http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthre...de_Pocket_Pets

http://www.sugarglider.com/glidergos...TOPIC_ID=26096

They're pretty clever to invent organizations to help them mill these animals, but that is all they're doing -- lying to people about the ease of keeping gliders to make a quick buck off of the ignorant.

Also, here's a great video by a USDA licensed 501(C)3 sugar glider rescue covering most of these lies: http://www.youtube.com/LuckyGliderRe.../2/q9DmV_pbAFQ

Last edited by Jennicat; 04-11-2010 at 09:57 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Rodentologist

Also, on the mynasga site, you'll notice that they claim that there are no sugar glider rescues in existence and that no sugar gliders are ever abandoned. We're not a "glider rescue" but we do get a lot of calls on gliders. A lot of people have no idea what they're getting into. They are all over Craigslist being sold (generally 4-5 a day in our area). Claiming that something is not abandoned simply because it is valuable is a logical fallacy -- shelters are full of purebred dogs. I've got chinchillas in my house that were abandoned. People abandon ferrets, they're roughly the same price as a 'plain' colored sugar gliders. The exotics and wildlife rescue down the road has people abandon animals worth thousands of dollars, like Fennec foxes and pet skunks.

Only an idiot thinks an animal isn't abandoned because it's popular and valuable.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Oh, wow. I had no idea those websites existed. That's horrible. This is my favorite:

Here’s how the majority of Sugar Glider “Rescues” actually work…
1) A potential new owner is discouraged from buying Gliders from a licensed USDA Breeder – and instead is encouraged to get their animals from “trusted”, “expert” members of their own chat room or message board…
2) The new owner is then strongly encouraged to follow extremely complicated, time-consuming care routines; including feeding the animals grossly outdated and costly diets….
3) In the event the new owner does eventually become “overwhelmed”, one of the “trusted” members of the group then steps up and selflessly volunteers to “rescue” the animal…
4) The animal is then RE-SOLD to the next new “newbie” that comes along, claiming that it’s now been “hand-tamed”…

Wow. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

EDIT: Oh, and they claim that sugar gliders aren't ever abandoned, either (which sort of contradicts the above info but whatever). Tell that to the small animal rescue where I live. And craigslist.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Yes sugar gliders can be noisy - they crab and bark and to top it all off are nocturnal - so they're making all these noises while you're trying to sleep.

They are messy - they aren't like rabbits that can usually be litter box trained - they will go to the bathroom on you or your stuff when they are out of their cage. From my experience, they throw food a lot too, so the area around their cage can get pretty messy.

I don't know anyone who owns sugar gliders who feeds them pellets. They have pretty complicated diets that need to be prepared fresh.

Also anyone thinking of getting them should keep in mind, they are highly social and should always be kept in at least pairs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I know; those websites definitely threw me through a loop, but I'm more inclined to believe people with actual physical experience. So then I was right in telling my mom not to buy into their gimmick that they're low-maintenance and everything. *sighs* That's just horrible that people would set up factual-looking websites just to shove gliders off on ignorant people.

I told my mom I'd call her back when I had actual accurate information. This is great you guys..thank you.

Sasami - I liked that one too...however my favorite was this one:

"This is again, an old myth based on VERY outdated information. Over the last decade, Sugar Gliders have become extremely popular as household pets – and if one should happen to get sick, almost any Vet who already works on other small mammals like hamsters and gerbils will easily be able to work on them."

Quoted from the mynasga site. Sure - "any" vet might work on them....perhaps not willingly, and sure as **** not correctly! That's like vets who say if they can handle dogs and cats, they can handle rabbits or guinea pigs.

Dragonrain - Thanks! That's what I've read; that they'll go to the bathroom on pretty much anything. I've also read that pellets should NOT be their staple, but can be used when you're in a pinch, or to keep in the cage as a snack, but definitely not used for their main staple.

Jennicat - I checked out the links you sent.. I'm horrified. That one story of the person who commented on one of their youtube videos not to buy their food, then received an email signed by one of their other organizations closed the deal for me - if I didn't believe it before, I sure as **** believe it now. Right now I'm also checking out the actual pocket-pet website..do you suppose those videos aren't actually from customers and actually members of their organization, instead?

"Fortunately, thanks to tremendous scientific advances in nutrition over the last 10 years, caring for Sugar Gliders is very inexpensive and easy to do. In fact, there are only three basic components to a healthy Sugar Glider's diet, and as a ball-park estimate, it typically costs a total of around $4/month to feed a single animal. 25% of your glider's daily food will consist of fresh fruits or vegetables, and almost anything you already have around the house (like a slice of apple per day) will do just fine."

That is pretty much the exact thing my mom quoted to me from the pamphlet...that it only costs about $4 to feed a single glider, and under $10 to feed two. She also quoted to me the "slice of apple/day".

"Incidentally, this is also the reason why you will almost never see Sugar Gliders in “pet shops”. Because they breed so slowly (again, only 2-3 babies/year on average) it's not really lucrative to breed them commercially. "

This was also on the pamphlet - it said the reason they're not often seen in pet stores is because they breed so slowly. Can somebody validate this?

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 04-11-2010 at 11:29 PM.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 05:59 AM
Rodentologist

Well, as far as the "any vet" thing, I think everyone here can testify how hard it is to find a vet that will see rats or guinea pigs or rabbits that isn't an idiot. So, technically, while any vet that sees small pocket pets would likely be able to at least do the basics on a sugar glider, they're not really all that easy to find to begin with.

As far as the breeding/petshop thing -- my references say that sugar gliders are pregnant for 16 days and then the joeys enter the pouch for another 60, and then are out after another 60 days. That's only 136 days. Guinea pigs have a gestation of up to 75 days. Chinchillas have one of up to 120 days, and they're certainly in pet stores.

However, even if they do only have 3 babies a year, that's still 3 x $175 = $525
A guinea pig would have approximately 4 litters during this time, and average litter is 3. 12 baby guinea pigs * $30 = $360
Chinchillas would likely produce two litters each during this time, with an average of 2 pups. 4 * 100 = $400

Sugar gliders primarily aren't in pet stores because they're difficult to keep and easy to kill. They're expensive stock that most employees can't maintain that well. (Although some of the more awful mom and pops around here do have gliders. It's mainly Petsmart/Petco that doesn't sell them, which I suspect is tied back in with the cost/demand/difficulty combined with the fact that many states either outlaw them outright or require a license to keep them: http://sugargliderpetguide.com/sugar...hey-legal.html)

Last edited by Jennicat; 04-12-2010 at 06:05 AM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Oh no, the sugar bear people are in my mall now . My mom said they had out gliders (in the middle of the day, they seemed stressed) and were letting random people handle them.

Ugh. I'm not even sure who to write to, the mall? I'm really upset.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

The people take on offered space from the mall or something. I think it's more, "I'll pay you $___ if you let us have a small part of the mall for ____ many days." I don't think writing to the mall would really do much of anything, :/ It's probably the Pocket Pet people themselves that are coming around. So if you get the same of their association/organization while they're there, then write to them and do what you can to them directly.

I'm just saying; judging by the pamphlets they were giving out, their information had 9/10 of the exact same "facts" that the Pocket Pet website has. So I really, really, think it's the actual people who run the website.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

When I lived in NC, I bought two sugar gliders from a pet store, this was 6 years ago or so. And they are messy, they do toss a lot of food out. They also REQUIRE fresh fruits, and honey (or hummingbird food) DAILY. You need to feed them at night, every week my gliders got ONE pinkie mouse, but you need to clean out the food dish, as they just eat the tasty bits, and leave the rest (eyes, bellies, brains).
They require LARGE cages, bonding pouches (I used an old crown royal bag tied to my belt) and a lot of Out of cage time if they are going to be anywhere near social. Mine, would bite people, crab at them. They will go into shock if you bathe them, so I wouldn't reccomend it. Also, you need to sterilize their cage twice weekly, because of the chance of molds growing on the fruit they eat. They live on average of 8-10 years, live in large groups, shouldn't be housed alone. Pee on EVERYTHING, and it STINKS. But they are cute. My Mom kept mine when I moved to PA, because they aren't legal to own here. I know of a woman in Florida who breeds them, she'll answer any questions you might have....http://www.moonovermiamigliders.com/

I hope this helps, but let me tell you again, they cannot survive totally on a pelleted diet! Mine got sick when I first got them because I thought they could too. Since they are very active, they require the sugar to keep "going".
Oh, and you need a special wodent wheel with sand paper in it to keep their nails trimmed!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields

Tags
bears, nectar, sugar, sweets