Photos! Will a glider get along with other animals? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Sugar Glider Discussion Cozy pouches, fluffy tails, bright eyes, and all else sugar glider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Will a glider get along with other animals?

I have a nine month old Sugar Glider named Laswell. I have had him for over a year and we are very well bonded. He is my only Glider, and I knew that could have been a mistake going in, but he really needed a home when I found him. That's a story for a different day. My real question is, now that i'm going back to school, will Laswell get along with another animal at this point? I would preferrably get him another Glider, but that would be quite challenging for a number of reasons. One reason being that I just don't have the money for another one right now. Another reason being that where I live, they are illegal (or something) and I haven't a clue where to find one. Last reason being that I feel like his cage isn't really spacious enough for two climbing, swinging, fun-loving little fools. This has lead me to wonder whether or not Laswell will play nice with a different companion, such as a gerbil or a mouse or hamster. Please fill me in on any insight you might have on the situation. That's experience or just scientific facts. I am aware Gliders are Marsupials and everything else I listed is a Rodent. I don't know, however, how that factors in.

Thanks a lot, everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l1.jpg (58.1 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 06:02 AM
Rodentologist

No, you can't pair them up with another animal. They can and will attack them if they're together. Plus, none of the animals you mentioned climb or glide like a glider, and most of the gliders I've had spend virtually all day up in the air.

Really, your best option is to get him a friend and a bigger cage. I understand that can be expensive, but that's part of owning a pet. It's concerning because if he has any medical issues, they will likely cost way more than another glider and a cage.

If you're still in VA, there's no statewide prohibition on gliders -- there are several active breeders there. [I'm in NC and get rescue gliders in from up there all the time]

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Hello

No...no other small animals will really work as a buddy for him. I have heard stories of gliders actually killing other animals like mice. Even if somehow you got around that and Laswell didn't attack your new pet, mice and hamsters and other small animals won't really fulfill his need for a companion. They don't have the same behaviors as a sugar glider, and don't "speak the same language" as gliders do.

Sugar gliders are highly social animals. You really should try to find a way to get a nice big cage and a glider buddy for Laswell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Newborn Pup

Many glider owners actually feed pinkies and mice to gliders. They also need to have protein like chicken and turkey. Being small animals, and pigs they would certainly go by their instincts and almost certainly would kill these other animals....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Just a couple more questions...

Thanks everyone for saving me from the nightmare of finding Laswell chewing up peices of rodent. I've decided that i'm going to see how things play out for a while, before making any decisions. As of now, I spend anywhere from 1-2 hours with him a night. Whether that time is just him out of the cage, or riding around on me, he gets his exercise. I also have a loft bed that he LOVES to climb on. Now, that time frame won't change too much in the future, but it will become more unpredictable. If it comes to it, I will certainly scrap up the money and invest in another Glider. This raises more questions, though.

One, how do I know if my Sugar Glider is depressed? Obviously, he will become less active. Are there other signs? Starvation? Barking? I've read horror stories of self-mutilation. Where is the line that tells me I need to get on this?

Two, Laswell is an intact male. With that in mind, what gender of Glider should I get for him as a companion? Two intact males will fight, correct? A male and a female will most certainly breed, correct? I REALLY don't have the experience for Joeys. Will an intact male pair with a neutered male, if I can find one?

On another note, if you were wondering where his name came from (I know you were), I named him after my favorite musical artist Greg Laswell.

Thanks again, smart people.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

I would really start saving up now for another glider if you're going to keep Laswell.

1 - 2 hours a night of attention from you is great, but not the same when you think about how much time he'd be spending with another glider. They will spend almost all of their time together. 2 hours a night doesn't really make up for the fact that he's missing out on having what would be a pretty much constant companion.

You could get Laswell neutered. A male and a female will breed if the male isn't neutered, and it's not a good idea to breed Laswell unless you have detailed information about his lineage.

Some breeders will sell pet gliders and will have them neutered before they go to their new home. So you might be able to find a neutered male. But you'd have to see, because depending on how Laswell acts towards the other male, it might be best to have them both be neutered. Males that are not neutered are more likely to show aggression towards other gliders, especially towards other males.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

A question:
How is it possible for you to have a nine month old glider, you've had for over a year?

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
A question:
How is it possible for you to have a nine month old glider, you've had for over a year?
I noticed too, I thought it must be a typo.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Tags
sugar glider gerbil buddy