Would like a glider or a bun... tell me what you think... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Sugar Glider Discussion Cozy pouches, fluffy tails, bright eyes, and all else sugar glider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Would like a glider or a bun... tell me what you think...

Hey all...newbie here... I would like to get a glider. I was searching for a pet other than dogs and cats... hubby against them... i was thinkging about bunny or glider... What do you think I should consider before I get a glider... pros and cons please... I'm really on the fence...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 06:35 PM
RAT ADDICT

I would do a search on them and all kinds of research.Bunnies and gliders are different animals,so both have their own individual needs.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 09:02 AM
Adolescent Pup

i would of gotten a sugar glider untill *gulp* i realized they ate pinkies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:30 AM
RAT ADDICT

I am sure you don't have to feed them pinkies.SG's are omnivores,I know people feed them mealies.You could feed mealworms instead of pinkies.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Newborn Pup

sugar gliders make great pets but they do require a few hours of out of the cage play or interaction every day, so make sure you have the free time to devote to them. I feed mine a mix of homemade bml, fruits, vegies, and insects i don't know anyone who feeds pinkies

I love my

!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 11:58 PM
Newborn Pup

I haven't been on for awhile here, but I also have gliders, 7 of them. My one pair just had a Joey out of pouch a few weeks back. I feed mine HPW, fruits, veggies ( frozen work), and some meal worms each night. I really don't know any one who feeds pinkies to their gliders, but I do know that you can. It is mainly your choice. You can also freeze crickets and feed them to the gliders, They really do like them. Make sure you have them room temp before you do feed them though. I have worked closely with a few breeders and have done a lot of research, gliders can be a handful. If you feel you cant spend at least a few hours each night with them playing, they are probably not the animal for you. They are very sweet and do bond to their owners, some take more work to bond with then others, but it's worth it in the long run. You also need to make sure you have a big enough cage, and many types of glider safe toys for them to play with. they can be kind of messy also. Just do some research online and you will see, even though they take some time, they are great. I wish you luck...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 03:07 PM

It depends on how much time you have to devote. Sugargliders require a lot of time, special diets, a large cage and a mate is preferable. I'm not sure about bunny care but I'd bet it's easier than taking care of a sugarglider.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Playful Pup

Rabbits are easier to care for and you can keep just one rabbit. The average start-up cost for a sugar glider is around $500, a rabbit is around $150. The diets arn't bad, as long as you do it correctly for both. Both need time to be correctly tame, and both can have a smell if you let them.

One Dog, Pup.
Three Leopard Geckos, Morrison, Panzer and Lacerta.
One Spiny Mouse, Cairo.
Two Sugar Gliders, Piper and Cessna.
Three Bettas.
One Bullfrog.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Part of the Pack

if it's a first pet, or you don't have much experience keeping exotic animals i'd go for a bunny. the more exotic animals take alot of work.

i like to think that there's an "exotic scale" with small mammals. so you'd start off with a hamster, a bunny or gerbils, then move on to rats, degus or chinchillas, then onto sugar gliders.

i so want a sugar glider, but i don't have the time and there impossible to get over here. you can't even get mice unless they're frozen to be fed to pets.

Pets name: Cheryl

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 01:04 AM

Hello, I'm new here...but I saw your question and the replies and just had to throw my own opinions in. First off...I'm glad you're researching before you buy. I don't have a sugar glider, but I'm probably getting one soon...just too cute to resist ;-) As far as whether or not to get a bunny or glider...a lot of people think that bunnies are easy to take care of and extremely cheap...SO NOT THE CASE! They are pretty easy to take care of, but if you want to do the right thing by them you'll do a major amount of research. It kills me when I see some of the smallest things people do to these poor sweet animals. The biggest problem is that people think it's okay to put them in cages with wire bottoms. This is really bad for their feet and can cause serious injuries. Another thing is their diet...it can get pretty costly if you want them to stay healthy. I feed my bunnies a fresh salad, bunny pellets, and hay EVERY SINGLE DAY....The pellets and hay don't really cost too much, but the salad gets a little pricey over time. Another thing to consider is the vet bills...they're pretty much okay all the time, but as soon as you notice them acting strange they need to go to the vet because if their digestive tract gets blocked it can kill them within hours. Another thing as far as vet bills is getting females and males fixed. I have a female and a male, and I got them both fixed because if you don't fix a male, you won't be able to litter-box train them and they spray you. My female I had to get fixed because about 80% of females will develop cervical cancer if you don't. Don't get me wrong, I love my bunnies so very much...I just want you to know the truth...it may seem like they're really inexpensive but if you want them happy and healthy they can get expensive over time. Bunnies also need plenty of room to run around and play... As far as sugar gliders, I'm not 100% positive on everything, but I've read quite a bit and they seem to be cheaper...but require more time. Anyway...hope this helped....just wanted the truth to be somewhere on this thread.

~Kris~

P.S. Also...it's better to have 2 bunnies, if you can bond them...that way they won't get lonely. And you have to keep their cages clean because they will occasionally pee out of their boxes and the ammonia smell can get pretty bad....

Again, hope this helped...good luck in choosing! I really do love my bunnies...they're my babies lol...I just don't want you to be mislead.

Last edited by kris1013; 03-27-2009 at 01:12 AM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 01:34 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Everyone knows that animals take money and if you dont budget and know what your spending it can put you in a hard place later, no need to feel bad that you are stating facts on price and smell hehe. I recently listed out everything that i have spent on my iguana... and what it would be over an average life of 20 years.... I have spent 1,500 (more now) in the 2 years i have had her, and that is well over 15,000 for life. NOT counting vet bills.

Keep in mind the more exotic the animal the more expensive the vet visit start costs most of the time.

[/CENTER]

Tags
your opinions