Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Yeah they're here!!

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  mulder 
#1 ·
After months of waiting we finally picked up our gliders on Tuesday. They are pretty shy so I haven't taken any pictures yet. When they are settled in I will grab a few!!

#6 ·
They are doing well. The guy that had them didn't have them on a very good diet so we are going to start changing them over to the BML diet next week. I didn't want to stress them to much in the first few days they were here. They are also not very hand tame. We are going to start tent time next week to help that. Right now when we have our hand in their cage they freak out. I haven't decided on names yet as I need to get to know them better. Hopefully I can do pics next week.

#11 ·
Thanks everyone!! Slowly but surely I have been able to hold them. One is more guarded than the other. They don't yell at me every time I come near them now so that is good. I have just been going at their pace and not forcing them to do anything. I think they will both be sweeties when we finally bond!! Hopefully pics will come in the next couple days.

#12 ·
That's great to hear! How are they doing with the BML diet? I aquired a glider (Aeolos) from a lady that I met while working at Pet Co. I constantly asked her to bring him in and they never did. They said they held him and played with him all the time... Well the truth came out-- one day they were going out of town and asked if I could watch him. When they dropped him off he stunk sooo bad. His cage had pee on it that needed to be wiped off and from years of climbing on the cage bars with pee on them, he drug it into his house which smelled aweful as well. I begged her for him and eventually she caved. I had already bought him a new cage and a bunch of new toys. He hated me for weeks once I threw away his old house but eventually he warmed up to his new one.

They were giving him cat food as a frequent treat and sometimes that is what they fed him. Their idea of fresh fruits and vegetables were the sun dried kind you find in packs. And he rarely got those.

I was unable to get him to eat the BML after buying lbs and lbs of it because it was on sale and his energy level began to fall (I figured he wouldn't starve himself but yepp, he was!).

We were able to get him on organic baby food, baby cereal, fresh yogurt, and a fruit each night. He's rarely eat the fruit, and only little bitts of certain baby food but he plowed the yogurt down and really did well... He was old so I didn't push him to eat the baby food. I just cleaned it up and fed him fresh food each night, giving him a chance in case he wanted it. (And sometimes he did)

Anyway-- I am blabbing. I really hope your gliders enjoy the BML and I'm sure they'll warm up to you. Have you thought about getting a small tent to play with them in? We used the bathroom and I wish we wouldn't have because of the way he could easily escape us. He tamed up but not like I'd like him to be.

Have you thought about getting a pouch to carry them in? Aeolos LOVED his pouch. He even went horseback riding with me. Anytime he heard me get his pouch off the cage, he would wake up out of a dead sleep to jump into the pouch. He went to work with me about 4 days a week (on my short days), I really miss him. :)

Like I said, I hope it works out and that they come around quickly to you. They're so much fun. If we are ever able to get another one in the future I would in a heartbeat.

Post pics when you get a chance! (oh, and Aeolos also loved the baby sausages. Just as a small treat every once in a while!!! :shh: )

#13 ·
Oops! I forgot. He also got four mealworms a night and a yogurt drop as a treat.

(Sorry-- I missed your post about tent time!!) :)

#15 ·
Rocheal said:
That's great to hear! How are they doing with the BML diet? I aquired a glider (Aeolos) from a lady that I met while working at Pet Co. I constantly asked her to bring him in and they never did. They said they held him and played with him all the time... Well the truth came out-- one day they were going out of town and asked if I could watch him. When they dropped him off he stunk sooo bad. His cage had pee on it that needed to be wiped off and from years of climbing on the cage bars with pee on them, he drug it into his house which smelled aweful as well. I begged her for him and eventually she caved. I had already bought him a new cage and a bunch of new toys. He hated me for weeks once I threw away his old house but eventually he warmed up to his new one.

They were giving him cat food as a frequent treat and sometimes that is what they fed him. Their idea of fresh fruits and vegetables were the sun dried kind you find in packs. And he rarely got those.

I was unable to get him to eat the BML after buying lbs and lbs of it because it was on sale and his energy level began to fall (I figured he wouldn't starve himself but yepp, he was!).

We were able to get him on organic baby food, baby cereal, fresh yogurt, and a fruit each night. He's rarely eat the fruit, and only little bitts of certain baby food but he plowed the yogurt down and really did well... He was old so I didn't push him to eat the baby food. I just cleaned it up and fed him fresh food each night, giving him a chance in case he wanted it. (And sometimes he did)

Anyway-- I am blabbing. I really hope your gliders enjoy the BML and I'm sure they'll warm up to you. Have you thought about getting a small tent to play with them in? We used the bathroom and I wish we wouldn't have because of the way he could easily escape us. He tamed up but not like I'd like him to be.

Have you thought about getting a pouch to carry them in? Aeolos LOVED his pouch. He even went horseback riding with me. Anytime he heard me get his pouch off the cage, he would wake up out of a dead sleep to jump into the pouch. He went to work with me about 4 days a week (on my short days), I really miss him. :)

Like I said, I hope it works out and that they come around quickly to you. They're so much fun. If we are ever able to get another one in the future I would in a heartbeat.

Post pics when you get a chance! (oh, and Aeolos also loved the baby sausages. Just as a small treat every once in a while!!! :shh: )
I am starting to get frustrated. They were calming down and I would be able to pet them. Now all of the sudden they are lunging at me and dive in their pouch anytime I come into the bathroom which is where they are. I am going to make a bonding pouch and I will have to put it in the cage for them to sleep in because I will never be able to put them in it myself. They are quick little buggers!! I am just slowly mixing in the BML with what they are on now. I did get good news though. The guy we bought them from wants me to get the info about BML for him so he can put the parents on it. He didn't realize the diet they were on isn't very good or complete. Anyway, it's a good thing that I am stubborn cause I won't give up with these guys. I read somewhere that it took this one guy 9mo to get his hand tamed so I will keep working. I still have to buy a tent and I think that will help. I tried playing with them in the bathroom but it didn't work cause they just ran away from me. Thanks for your post and your advice:)

#16 ·
BML isn't something you buy by the pound, it's a mix you make and freeze. Priscilla's diet and Darcy's diet are also good choices. I
've done BML for years..but there's conflicting opinions on it , and I may end up switching my current pair to something else. Gliders that aren't socialized are HARD. I had a pair of sisters that I ended up letting a rescue take, well an individual with more time at the time than I had, as one ended up being a horrible biter. I'd say give them awhile to settle in with no handling. Bonding pouch will help,also. Check out, www.worldwidesugarglidernetwork.com they have TONS of people on there that rescue and have experience with unsocial gliders,etc, that can help ya out. Good luck with them.

#17 ·
grlunderrainbow said:
BML isn't something you buy by the pound, it's a mix you make and freeze. Priscilla's diet and Darcy's diet are also good choices. I
've done BML for years..but there's conflicting opinions on it , and I may end up switching my current pair to something else. Gliders that aren't socialized are HARD. I had a pair of sisters that I ended up letting a rescue take, well an individual with more time at the time than I had, as one ended up being a horrible biter. I'd say give them awhile to settle in with no handling. Bonding pouch will help,also. Check out, www.worldwidesugarglidernetwork.com they have TONS of people on there that rescue and have experience with unsocial gliders,etc, that can help ya out. Good luck with them.
Cool!! Thanks, I have been looking for a good website. I will check that today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.