Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

About Owning Foxes

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  VanillaRat 
#1 ·
In the future (probably a few years from now) I would love to adopt a fox. I realize these are wild animals, normally I am quite opposed to make pets out of wild creatures for the most part however if I adopted one from a fur farm I would know it was being kept from something horrible and I would love to write about it and use it to show others just how beautiful these creatures are. Mostly I just want to give a would be a coat a better life. I have interned at a zoo so I understand wild animals a slight bit (I am not expert) and I did not work with foxes. I plan to do every bit of research so that I can provide the best care for me fox and I realize that these are not the same as your "cat" and "dog" pet. I am hoping to also be able to work with foxes beforehand to get to know them better and learn their behavior. But I would love to hear any experiences from other owners or useful information. I am not about to dive into this blindly.

#2 ·
I am against keeping wild animals as pets.
So all I can say is research alot.Make sure it is also legal where you live as well.They are not dogs.

There are a couple members on here who have more info on this kind of thing...Ravnos & Mygala.

#3 ·
I've never personally kept foxes, but I did do some research in the hopes of keeping arctic foxes at some point - and I decided against it, at least for the foreseeable future, until I have the space to set up an appropriate outdoor enclosure. They are definitely not what I would consider to be a house pet. All I can suggest is to do your research, talk to breeders, read everything you can. No one source is going to give you all the information you need to make an educated decision. Not to mention, every species is going to be different, and have it's own quirks, so make sure you research the species you specifically are intending to keep and don't count on generic information.

Reactions: VanillaRat
#6 ·
I've never personally owned a fox but I do know that you can get a lot of info at thepetfox.net
Also, Foxes can be very destructive in the house so try not to leave them home alone unless they are in a kennel.
Be prepared. Your neighbors may not be happy about them. I've heard of people slipping poisoned meat into the cage in an attempt to kill the fox. Or Animal Rights idiots trying to get you evicted. I'm also researching details on owning a fox. I'll let you know if I come across anything useful :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.