Any fox people out there? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Smile Any fox people out there?

Red, grey, fennec, just any fox. I'd like to hear your pet story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 09:21 PM
Part of the Pack

Had a friend who owned a fox. She said he was extremely tame, but she ended up giving him to the zoo..
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 08:03 PM
RAT ADDICT

I love foxes, but cannot look at them as pets! I never even knew ppl had them as pets until my best friend told me she wanted one and told me there is a fennec breeder right here in Canada!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 10:24 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
I love foxes, but cannot look at them as pets! I never even knew ppl had them as pets until my best friend told me she wanted one and told me there is a fennec breeder right here in Canada!
Yeah, they're supposed to make real good pets =3 They tame easy and are affectionate and smart.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I love foxes but don't feel they should be kept as pets. Many people get them because they are very sweet as babies but when they're older they often become destructive and agressive and end up being given away or euthanized .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 05:21 AM
Curmudgeon

I worked with and trained a couple of Fennic foxes at one time. I don't think they'd make good pets for most people.

Calling them tame means they won't run from you on sight or attack you. They accept you as part of their family, but they still have the instincts and reactions of wild animals. They are friendly, but not near as affectionate as most dogs. Over thousands of years, we have bred most of those type of reactions out of dogs. In foxes, they are still right on the edge of being wild.

They are can be very shy in some situations. They also have a tendencey to be a bit high strung and skittish. A wrong move by you or another animal can result in a nip. They don't bite hard, but they can draw blood quite easily. They are smart (not near as smart as a smart dog), but are still ruled by instincts. You have to always be aware that this is NOT a dog. Treating it like one will get you, and the fox, into trouble.

They are more for people who have a lot of time to work with them. They are a novelty. You won't get the attention and affection out of them that you will get out of any mutt you pick up out of the pound. Nor will they ever be as smart. You can train them to do some things, but not overly complicated behaviors ....like agility courses, herding, ...or even to fetch your slippers.

I expect more from an animal I call a pet. JMO

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Part of the Pack

Hmm, I guess the fennec foxes and red foxes have entirely different personalities, my friend's even slept in the same bed as her ^^
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Curmudgeon

The only Red foxes I've ever played with were some that were at a state game farm, and they were used for education. They were much less sociable than the Fennics. That seems to be the consensus among people who have worked with both.

Sleeping with someone is a natural urge, they'd do it in the wild with each other. It's not really an 'affection' thing. They (foxes0 just don't the bonding capability that dogs do. Foxes don't live in packs, theirs are more of a loose family structure.

All in all, I'd equate a fox more with the behaviors of a friendly cat than a friendly dog. JMO

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Part of the Pack

So I started talking to my friend about it, and she agrees he was like a friendly cat, but was real scared around strangers, although tame with her and her mom.
She also refutes your claim against their intelligence 8D
Er scratch that, she just told me of a black fox who acts just like a dog, and since a black fox is actually a red fox..
Mixed information here.

Last edited by Fubie; 06-08-2006 at 12:11 AM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hmm, I guess the fennec foxes and red foxes have entirely different personalities, my friend's even slept in the same bed as her ^^
That's what I've heard. Their are a couple of fennec and red fox owners here. http://www.sybilsden.com From what they told me, fennec foxes are a lot different in captivity than reds.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I have a friend who has a fennec. Although he's the cutiest little thing in the world, I could NEVER tolorate one in my house for more than 2 minutes! She's had him since he was itty bitty, but Lord help us all if you look at him! He'll start screaming high pitched bloody murder until you avert your eyes! yeah, it was funny the first 2 minutes, but after that...nope, never in THIS house!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Adolescent Pup

I think it was in Russia not sure,but they fur trader people were breeding foxes,for thier fur, and it got to the point were the foxes would run over wag their tells and yelp to get petted so thepeople ecided they couldn't kill them anymore(yeah!) and started selling them as pets.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Part of the Pack

Awesome XD
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

mmmhmmm

That's what I've heard too, but Russia would not give them to anyone in the USA because they were afraid their foxes would get abused or neglected like many dogs and cats today. Why can't America make a domesticated fox? They would melt animal lovers' hearts.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Part of the Pack

Oh come on now, we aren't THAT bad in caring for our animals, infact many peoples would say we care too much!

Found a picture!

Last edited by Fubie; 07-03-2006 at 10:41 PM.

Tags
animal cruelty, animal lover, animal lovers, litter mates, pet owner, wild animal, wild animals