anyone have Richardsons Ground Squirrels? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

anyone have Richardsons Ground Squirrels?

I will be getting one next week, he is coming up from FL, from someone that needs to rehome him. I am very excited, after having had Zeke the pd, I am looking forward to this little guy. His name is Neeko. He is in hibernation right now, so sleeps alot, but is starting to be awake more each day. He is not used to handling much, so we have a long uphill battle, but I am up for it! Just wondering if anyone here has any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Nobody?????
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Herp Nerd

I've kept them in the past, but don't currently have one.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Can you tell me what your experience w/them was? Did yours hibernate? How old did he/she live until? What did you feed them? I 'know' but like to hear others experiences, if possible. Thanks!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Herp Nerd

Sorry for the slow reply, apparently just not paying attention. Mine never hibernated, but I keep my house a pretty steady temperature year-round and I use UV lighting for him. I have no idea how old Squee was, he was a rescue that I got as an adult. I had him for about two years. I fed him mainly the same things I give my prairie dogs. Timothy and coastal hay, Oxbow prairie delight, oats, carrots, sweet potato, and a few other treats. He was a little more high strung than my prairie dogs. He loved his wheel, think he spent almost every waking hour in it. Didn't really like to be handled much, but that could be because of whatever he experienced before I got him. He eventually developed a tumor in his abdomen that there wasn't much my vet could do for him.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thank you. I have to admit, to help with bonding, I was heavy with nuts (pecans) and he is really fat, so as of today, diet begins!! But I noticed yesterday (and it may just be he is so fat) he seems to have a fatty lump on his chest. I think it is just he is so chunky, but will have my vet take a peek. Neeko doesn't let me hold him, but LOVES to be petted, he will sit there for hours letting me do it and falls asleep! I love him and just want to do right by him. Can you tell me what kind of cage you had him in? I want to get him a multilevel cage, but worried since he has lived in a rabbit cage, one level (I recently made a second level w/ramp to get him used to it). Do you have any pics of him and or his cage? Thank you again, and I am so sorry for your loss.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 12:21 AM
Herp Nerd

I used a large, plastic-bottomed rabbit cage. I don't generally trust multi-level cages, just too much chance of them falling and getting hurt - but I guess that depends on the individual animal. Some are more sensible about it than others... but I especially don't trust wire cages, I've heard too many horror stories of legs getting caught.

Tags
rgs