Anyone here have skunks? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 01:11 PM
Casie

Talking Anyone here have skunks?

i have one 9 week old albino female skunk. Her name is ROSIE to match her red eyes. she is a cutie and is spolied as can be. i was just seeing if there are any other skunk people out there??:bfly:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 09:07 PM
Skunkluv

So far, I'm the only one, Cassie! You just run in to me everywhere, don't you?

Still like that sig line, huh?

Michelle

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 11:36 AM
Casie

okm lets see how this works. i couldnt remember where i read it at..lol..im changing it. it should have worked..lets see....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 09:43 PM
Mia
Formerly Known as Nico

Well we have skunks and just love them.No albino ones.

:rainbow:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 10:24 PM
Casie

thats cool. waht part of ohio are you in? how many skunks do you own?

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 10:48 PM
Princess in Waiting

I don't have any skunks, but did try to rehab one once. My husband and daughter complained so much about the smell (it never sprayed when I was around) that I finally had to find someone else to take her. But she was a sweetie pie and I was so surprised at how small she was. She fit in the palm of my hand!

The only other one I've come in contact with was at the ER where one of the dr's was going to do surgery on one for a friend of hers. This one was grossly fat and survived mostly on cheetos - not a very good diet for any of us!

Post pictures!!

Crittercall

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 04:25 AM
Skunkluv

Here you go, Crittercall... I'm late for work, so this is all I have time for now, but will post more later.

This is my daughter's skunk, Daisy.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 09:23 AM
Mia
Formerly Known as Nico

I am near Coloumbus Ohio and I have 5 skunks

:rainbow:
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 11:46 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I don't have one....yet! I've been reading alot about them and hope to get one when I get my own house. I could've gotten one about 6 years ago when I was visiting Florida but I didn't know enough about them and didn't want to impulse buy.

What does it take to get a permit? I live in Michigan and I know you have to have a permit to own one here.

Rhonda

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 12:17 PM
Princess in Waiting

You need to be sure to check on permitting, etc, in your state too, Scarlette. In KY it is illegal to have a Quaker parrot - BUT people get around that by calling them "gray-cheeked parakeets". Better to follow the law than risk someone turning you in and breaking your heart!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 12:37 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

CC, that's why I asked what it takes to get a permit....I know I need a permit to own one here because I've already checked if they were legal in my state. :cool:

Do I contact the game warden to get a permit??????

Rhonda

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 01:18 PM
Skunkluv

You are right, Scarlette. They are legal in Michigan, with a permit. The catch is that you have to get them from a breeder within the state. There is one there, but it's a very small-time operation.

Permit requirements vary from state to state. In Florida where I am, it doesn't take much at all. But some states require you to take a test, have an in home inspection, etc. Inquiring with your local Fish and Wildlife office is definetly the way to go.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 02:38 PM
Princess in Waiting

You got it, Skunkluv - Fish and Wildlife is where you go. And getting a wildlife rehab license in FL is not easy - it is the same process that you go through to get one that makes it legal for you to care for birds of prey, etc. I don't have the veterinary connections down here I had in KY so I didn't even try.

In KY they were pretty suspicious of my wanting a license until they found out that I worked in the veterinary business. Then I still had to build an outside cage of certain size, off the ground, and a wildlife officer had to come to the house and inspect it and talk to us. I knew other people who had license that didn't even have to go to that much to get it (and they didn't really deserve to have them either!).

Critter

The skunk is cute! But I'm in one of those "oh, I need a baby" moods so that doesn't help me when I look at any animal!

CRITTERCALL

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 03:07 PM
Skunkluv

The rehab license is difficult to get here, but all you need to own a domestic skunk is the Class III license. Which unfortunately, IS too easy to get. No home inspection, no major requirements, and it's free. More than one skunk requires a Exhibitioner's permit, which is only $5.

I'd love to rehab, but I'd wind up keeping them all as pets!!

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 04:19 PM
Princess in Waiting

I thought so too, at first, but when the critters start to mature and you can just see in them the need to be out where they belong you have to take them. My favorite has always been raccoons and I was just sure I could never let my first one go. But when I'd look out and see them just pacing the cage and they seemed so unhappy. . . . . well, it's like kids. You don't raise them to stay at home with you forever!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

Tags
red eyes