Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Anyone know anything about capuchin monkeys???

16K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  cranky-momma 
#1 ·
Hey Ya'll. I've been looking into getting a primate as a pet. I've been doing research and checking out breeders, ect. I already have found a vet in my area that specializes in capuchin, so that's taken care of. I don't know anyone personally that has any experience with them. Do any of you have any suggestions/ideas/tips? TIA

#3 ·
I know NOTHING about them and wouldn't have any idea where to tell you to go, but I did want to mention one thing. Make sure you find a vet who will treat them and be sure to check the legality in your area before getting one. I know of no vets in this area (not even my exotic vet) who will treat a primate. Good luck in your search!!

#4 ·
I don't know of anything either. I've never come across anyone on the message boards that have had one. All I've ever heard is that they are a lot of work - more work then the average animal caretaker can give.

They are such interesting animals - good luck!

#5 ·
I did some searching for ya and this is what I found I also discovered that they have a life span of 40yrs!

http://www.austinlostpets.com/kidskorner/1September/ZZCapuchinMonkey.htm

http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/monkeywire/2002-December/000302.html

http://exoticpetco.com/primates.html

The last link is actually someone that sells large mammals, small mammals, and primates etc. I would recommend checking with your local zoo to find out what vet they use or can recommend one for a primate. Hope this helps!

#12 ·
I've been wanting a primate ever since I was a kid, also. My mom had a lemur right before she passed.

How do they act? Are they "tame" (for monkeys) Do they listen? Potty trainable?

Give us some stories!!

#14 ·
Mario is not potty trained, but I have heard they can be if you get them young enough.

The one I had that died, she would wear a diaper when I carried her to the schools visiting. Put her in a pink dress. I always made sure I carried some raisins, potatoe chips with me, so the children could feed her. She was the tamest of the two.

I don't really trust Mario enough around a crowd of children. Otherwise, he does just fine with children unless they threaten him in some way. Then he will start making a screaming sound.

He does like to eat anything that we will, he has his dislike and of course his favorites. He has his own house outside that is heated. The little rounder does get in the house every now and then, when he does he steals everything he can get his hands on. Food out of the cabinets, my husband's cookies. They can make an awful mess. Redecorate your house if they want to.

Maio is very sweet and loves to be tickled, and loves to wrestle. Don't get me wrong, I have been bitten plenty of times by him and his late mate. I do have a way with words..

Willie

#15 ·
Sounds like the cutest little handfull in the world!!

Would you recommend one to a young couple? Would he do fine with a master bedroom to "live" in during the hours we were not at home? Of course I would wait until I was out of school, in college, and in my own house to have one. That would only be fair. Did you handfeed Mario? What about his last mate that died? I would get mine at a very young age and work with him/her to retrieve everything I'd want out of it. (potty trained, sociable & whatnot) How does Mario act with the dogs? We have a pug that Im sure would try and play with him. I'd be prepared for some bites and scratches but would you think anything would be too dangerous? Could Mario get past those child locks for the cabinets and stuff? How do you keep him on your property and make sure he's not running away? Could you post more pictures of him? I think he is gorgeous...

Thanks!!!

#16 ·
I think if I was you, if you are going to confine one to a bedroom, I would have a nice cage built for it that had all the toys they like to play on, like something to swing on. A small tire perhaps.

Mario and Bugger were about 3 months old when we got them. Bugger was so wild! And I thought she was a boy. LOL. Looked like a boy. What really tamed her down, was we gave her a kitten. She loved that kitten, she would sit in her cage all night and hold that kitten. But of course the kitten grew up, and didn't want to spend it time with her.

These guys are so messy, they don't care whose lap they are sitting in, they will take a poop in your lap, or your head or whatever they happen to be next to.

When we got Mario, Bugger was very happy, but he soon dominated her. They both got along really well with other animals. Though they did pull a little trick on my RB cat Pyewackett. I was vacuming the floor, and I thought I heard this horrible screeching. I looked over at the two little meanies and they had grabbed Pye by the tail, and was pulling her tail, pinching her. I swear they were laughing at her!

We didn't hand feed them except to hand them food, no bottle. Now if you got one like that you would pretty much have it made I think.

Mario runs free now, we live far enough off the road that we don't worry about him. He gets into the house through the pet door, or just opens the door and comes in. He has his own house outside that is heated, he stays in there of a night.

Willie

#18 ·
:heart: I'm in love!

I love your stories! I've always been fascinated by those guys. I've heard they are a lot of work and like having a 2 year old around. I have macaw that is like having a 2 year old around (no exaggeration) so I understand they are not the pet for everyone (same thing with big birds...peolple just don't know what they're getting in to!).

What kinds of toys do they like? Is he a chewer? Does he show different emotions? Is he bossy? Sorry for all the questions, I find it so interesting!

#19 ·
Mario usually likes to just play with empty bottles, not good with stuffed toys. They usually end up destroying those! He loves to pick up bottles, or find a stick, a rock and pound on our window.

He is not much of chewer. He love it when my daughter brings him things back from McDonalds. She will uaually bring him some french fries or a coke. He love drinks like that. Thats something we don't do is set our bottles around or he will take off with it. He loves gatorades, Mellow Yellows, drinks like that. Oh he also loves coffee. Mashed potatoes, mac and cheese. He is basically a little kid. Here is a picture of him sharing a bag of popcorn with my grandson:

That is how he is with children. Of course he wants us to share our food with him. My husband always has peppermint candy wrapped in paper and Mario has to have one of those.

Willie

#21 ·
I volunteered at a zoo and took care of a spider monkey. Scar was his name. He was SUCH a sweetheart... A big cuddle bug! I've heard they're very sweet.

I did want a bird for so long because I wanted to teach it to talk. Then I did research. lol.. I don't have the time to sit with one full time like alot of them really do need. I know it sounds nuts because monkeys are more time but it's a different schedual all together with monkeys that I believe I could maintain.

If I did keep him in a room I would knock the carpet and tile the whole floor. It would slant to the middle with a drain down there... To catch water if you could picture it. That way I could spray out the room! I've thought about hanging stuff and having toys. We'd definately have to spend alot of money and time into it before we got one... Man, I don't know.. I just love them. I'd have to have help, I know I would.

I've talked to Kevin (my boyfriend) seriously about getting one and he said he wouldn't want a horse AND a monkey. So I dropped the whole horse idea because I know he's practical...

That's pretty nasty how he'd just poop on you!! I wouldn't like that. You said his former friend would keep a diaper on so that's what I would try doing. I'd dress her from the time she was a teeny baby all throughout her growing so she'd be used to it.

Aren't those foods bad for him or can they tolerate foods like that? It'd be hard to keep it from a monkey if we got one because we never eat in the kitchen, and since you say he's a theif!!

Would child-proofing things keep him out of cabinets and stuff? Im sorry I write so much and ask so many questions, Im just really interested too. He's adorable.

#23 ·
OMGGGGGGGGGG!!! :heart: That is the cutest picture I have ever seen!! He looks so full of personality!!! OMG..! Adorable!!! I just want to squeeze him!! :splat:

#26 ·
Capuchin Monkey Information

To anyone looking to get a monkey as a pet please go to the monkeyzone web site. I beg of you...do not take this lightly. They are not like a human baby and are not like a dog. Those that are informed know that these wonderful creatures fling poo (yes you read that right), annoint themselves with urine, bite when sexually mature, and have dietary needs that are difficult to maintain properly. Their housing is quite an undertaking and they need companionship. You cannot work and take PROPER care of a monkey. Especially a capuchin. I have many email pals that are part of the helping hands organization (foster parents) and others who just own them. This is not for everyone. One of my friends gave up her job and vacations because you cannot board them or just have a "feeder" come in to take care of them. Please do not just do this on a whim.:no: :no: :no:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.