Anyone know anything about capuchin monkeys??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

Question Anyone know anything about capuchin monkeys???

Hey Ya'll. I've been looking into getting a primate as a pet. I've been doing research and checking out breeders, ect. I already have found a vet in my area that specializes in capuchin, so that's taken care of. I don't know anyone personally that has any experience with them. Do any of you have any suggestions/ideas/tips? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

Angry

Ok so I'm guessing nobody knows anything about these monkeys... Does anyone have any suggestions on other message boards/forums where they might? TIA
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 09:35 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I know NOTHING about them and wouldn't have any idea where to tell you to go, but I did want to mention one thing. Make sure you find a vet who will treat them and be sure to check the legality in your area before getting one. I know of no vets in this area (not even my exotic vet) who will treat a primate. Good luck in your search!!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 09:55 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

I don't know of anything either. I've never come across anyone on the message boards that have had one. All I've ever heard is that they are a lot of work - more work then the average animal caretaker can give.

They are such interesting animals - good luck!

~ Jodi ~

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 01:16 AM
Official Thread Hogger

I did some searching for ya and this is what I found I also discovered that they have a life span of 40yrs!

http://www.austinlostpets.com/kidsko...chinMonkey.htm

http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/m...er/000302.html

http://exoticpetco.com/primates.html

The last link is actually someone that sells large mammals, small mammals, and primates etc. I would recommend checking with your local zoo to find out what vet they use or can recommend one for a primate. Hope this helps!

Carrera
__

Panda

Kit 1

Kit 2

The Winner Is.......
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 01:27 AM
Official Thread Hogger

Here is a pic of what one looks like...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monkey.JPG (14.3 KB, 13 views)

Carrera
__

Panda

Kit 1

Kit 2

The Winner Is.......
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 01:29 AM
Official Thread Hogger

FYI...to enlarge the pic just click on it.

Carrera
__

Panda

Kit 1

Kit 2

The Winner Is.......
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 05:15 PM
Mia
Formerly Known as Nico

If you still need help with this please PM me I can share a few numbers of good friends who have Monkeys in home

:rainbow:
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 01:22 PM

If you still have questions, PM me. I've rescued a capuchin monkey, and he did quite well for a long time. Let me know.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 10:22 AM
Romping Ratties

There are several types of Capuchin monkeys. You can PM Mystic Cat as her sister has a black capped Capuchin that she has owned for several years.

In the meantime here is her sister Willie's thread that talks about her monkey Mario. We all get a kick out of mario. He joins us in the bar and likes to hang from the ceiling after stealing our beer!

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/show...hlight=Monkies

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 10:37 AM
Newborn Pup

Hi, my name is Willie and I am the one that owns Mario. He is a Capuchin Monkey. I have owned two of these monkeys. One died last year, so I still have Mario. What exactly are you wanting to know about Mario?
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 08:08 PM
Proud New Mommy

I've been wanting a primate ever since I was a kid, also. My mom had a lemur right before she passed.

How do they act? Are they "tame" (for monkeys) Do they listen? Potty trainable?

Give us some stories!!

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 08:24 PM
Proud New Mommy

..I came accross this.. http://centralpets.com/pages/critter.../PRI1553.shtml

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Newborn Pup

Mario is not potty trained, but I have heard they can be if you get them young enough.

The one I had that died, she would wear a diaper when I carried her to the schools visiting. Put her in a pink dress. I always made sure I carried some raisins, potatoe chips with me, so the children could feed her. She was the tamest of the two.

I don't really trust Mario enough around a crowd of children. Otherwise, he does just fine with children unless they threaten him in some way. Then he will start making a screaming sound.

He does like to eat anything that we will, he has his dislike and of course his favorites. He has his own house outside that is heated. The little rounder does get in the house every now and then, when he does he steals everything he can get his hands on. Food out of the cabinets, my husband's cookies. They can make an awful mess. Redecorate your house if they want to.

Maio is very sweet and loves to be tickled, and loves to wrestle. Don't get me wrong, I have been bitten plenty of times by him and his late mate. I do have a way with words..

Willie
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Proud New Mommy

Sounds like the cutest little handfull in the world!!

Would you recommend one to a young couple? Would he do fine with a master bedroom to "live" in during the hours we were not at home? Of course I would wait until I was out of school, in college, and in my own house to have one. That would only be fair. Did you handfeed Mario? What about his last mate that died? I would get mine at a very young age and work with him/her to retrieve everything I'd want out of it. (potty trained, sociable & whatnot) How does Mario act with the dogs? We have a pug that Im sure would try and play with him. I'd be prepared for some bites and scratches but would you think anything would be too dangerous? Could Mario get past those child locks for the cabinets and stuff? How do you keep him on your property and make sure he's not running away? Could you post more pictures of him? I think he is gorgeous...

Thanks!!!

Tags
animal care, exotic vet, potty train, potty trained