Armadillo as a pet? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Armadillo as a pet?

I've been watching Billy the Exterminator and he often catches Armadillos, oh my gosh they are the cutest animals I've ever seen! The don't seem to be very aggressive (like the raccoons - yikes!) so my question is does anyone have an armadillo for a pet? Are they legal and do they make good pets?

I'm thinking the answer is "no" because we don't see them around as people's pets, but why are they not kept?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Some states don't allow people to own exotic animals easily. Most places require a permit for ownership of an armadillo. I have no knowledge of anywhere that sells them. Armadillos have sharp claws, a strong, musky smell, are constantly digging and are nocturnal. If any of this bothers you, then I wouldn't get one for a pet.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 05:32 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Armadillos should be quite friendly, but they are wild animals and not pets. If kept, you really need an enclosure for them.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 11:30 AM
It's all for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
Armadillos should be quite friendly, but they are wild animals and not pets. If kept, you really need an enclosure for them.
Yes but as you say, they are wild animals.

It is cruel and inhumane to enclose a wild animal.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody View Post
Yes but as you say, they are wild animals.

It is cruel and inhumane to enclose a wild animal.
That's your opinion, and you are in your full right to have it.
But please remember there may be other opinions.

You say it like it's the only right way of thinking...

I've actually thought about getting one. It's a big commitment, but not cruel if kept under the right conditions imo.
As a pet with a collar on, and never getting to dig or do any natural behaviour you'll might have a problem, and should look into domesticated species.

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My sister i think looked into getting one when she lived in arkansas and i think she found out they are very short lived and quite stupid. They appear to have a very limited brain much like opossums. I am not sure however, that is just what i remember i haven't looked into them. They are pretty cute though.

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 09:12 PM

Hmm... My info says about 10 years of age, and they should be very social...

They are hard to get breeding in captivity though...
But I guess 10 years is kinda sort if you are used to birds or some of the long lived reptiles

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

It would probably be easier to own an armadillo than a capybara. I think that it's gross, but some people raise and eat armadillos.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urofan View Post
It would probably be easier to own an armadillo than a capybara. I think that it's gross, but some people raise and eat armadillos.
It's like raiseing any other animal for the sake of the meat...

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 04:48 AM
Curmudgeon

Armadillos are cute. They dig, alot, so they need to have something like an indoor sandbox to dig in. They are messy and they they don't train very easily. They don't develop affection for their owners like dogs.

They are much more suitable to being an exhibit animal in a zoo than a pet in someone's home.

...And some of them carry Hanson's Disease (Leprosy). In fact, most of the cases of Hanson's in the US are directly attibuted to exposure to armadillos.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
That's your opinion, and you are in your full right to have it.
But please remember there may be other opinions.

You say it like it's the only right way of thinking...

I've actually thought about getting one. It's a big commitment, but not cruel if kept under the right conditions imo.
As a pet with a collar on, and never getting to dig or do any natural behaviour you'll might have a problem, and should look into domesticated species.
Agreed. Plus if you think about it, all wild animals are geared to do 3 main things: eat, sleep, reproduce. They are constantly on the lookout for predators and prey. However, a "wild" animal as a pet could have the pleasure of enjoying a safe environment without having to worry about where they will get their next meal.

As long as the circumstances are right and you are willing to commit time and effort into owning a wild animal, I say go for it!

THE CHICKEN CAME FIRST!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Playful Pup

Oops I forgot to post about my opinion on armadillos! Anyways, I think they are super cute also (although you will find most people see them as rodents and repulsive). I don't know much at all about keeping them as pets, and I'm sure they dont allow them here in California. But if you do end up owning one, ill be waiting for some pics!

THE CHICKEN CAME FIRST!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Resident Zoologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala View Post
...And some of them carry Hanson's Disease (Leprosy). In fact, most of the cases of Hanson's in the US are directly attibuted to exposure to armadillos.

Bob
Its true....and being a leper is likely not much fun...

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

Tags
armadillo