breeding marmosets - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

breeding marmosets

can any one help me out there? i have a one year old marm. and i was wondering how old she has to be to breed and how i would know when it is time. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 08:43 PM
Curmudgeon

My initial thought would be that if you didn't know basic things like sexual maturation, and the signs of estrus, you really shouldn't be breeding small primates.

My intent is not to be rude or insult you, but primates require specialized care and environments. Anyone who chooses to keep them as pets should be well informed before they get the animal. They should have solid resources and veterinary support. Coming to the internet and asking questions on a forum does not count.

Try this site:
http://exoticpetvet.net/

bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 09:29 PM

I thought you had to have a liscence for breeding exotics anyway? I'm almost positive, but maybe it varys depending on where you live. I'd look into it before doing anything. Also, I I have to agree with Mygala. Breeding anything takes a lot of time and consideration. Instead of buying another, maybe you should look into finding a stud. After PLENTY of research of course, and a trip to the vet to ensure that breeding your Marmoset is even a good idea, healthwise. Not just a regular vet though, it should be one with specific exotic animal experience. I don't want to dissuade you from the idea, but I feel that breeding exotics should be left to certifiable breeders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i definitely agree.
what will you do with the babies..they could become such a handful, and just bc an animal is cute and the possibility of breeding it is there, does not mean it should be done, not being rude either, but if you dont know any common things about your animal like breeding age..then why do it?

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 09:13 AM
SwC

Also in florida you must have a special permit to own one or breed. The permits are only given after attending and having a specific amount of hours in primate care. If you dont have this then you could be really setting yourself and your pet up for a big fall. If you havent been trained in appropriate breeding information then dont breed.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 11:04 AM

hey i am glad you are doing your research before breeding just make sure you know everything you need to before breeding because the babies are so vunerable.

good luck hun
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

I need to ask you a question:
Do you keep her alone, or do you have 2 females?
They should never be kept alone!

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Curmudgeon

Uhh this thread is a couple of years old, ...if you look at the top it tells you when it was posted. The original poster hasn't been back on since 11/2/06.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Argh, sorry >_<

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Adolescent Pup

Oh well.

But will add that it is federal law that you need a license to breed exotics, at least if you plan to do anything but keep them.

Mary
Quasi - - - - Hyzzie - - - - - Pua - - - Jupiter - - - Kat

&
Angel Stewie

Tags
regular vet