Chinese Chipmunks vs Siberian Chipmunks? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Chinese Chipmunks vs Siberian Chipmunks?

Does anyone know if they are a different species or if they are the same? I just got a pair of "Chinese Chipmunks" and the lady said that they aren't the same species, but I looked through my chipmunk book, researched the internet and can't find much on Chinese Chipmunks, so I'm really thinking that they are the same species.

Anyone know?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Breeder and distributor of small exotic mammals.
Southern Flying Squirrels, Chinese Chipmunks,
Spiny Mice, Short Tailed Opossums,
Siberian Chipmunks and more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 03:29 AM
Adolescent Pup

She should be able to give you a scientific name then you would know for sure. There are several different subspecies of Siberian chipmunk,Tamias sibiricus. If they are different and are Chinese I would guess they are the same species but maybe a different subspecies if others sold originated from other areas.

Mary
Quasi - - - - Hyzzie - - - - - Pua - - - Jupiter - - - Kat

&
Angel Stewie

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

She's a broker/breeder, supplies petstores, etc. These guys are ones the she bought from a company to resell...I don't think shes very "in tuned" with knowledge if you know what I mean. I'm sure she would say she doesn't know if I asked next time I saw her.

I know of the various subspecies. In my Chipmunk book it lists them all and there common names, but none were called Chinese. It's a mystery. I'm betting my money that they're the same species.

Thanks for your input

Breeder and distributor of small exotic mammals.
Southern Flying Squirrels, Chinese Chipmunks,
Spiny Mice, Short Tailed Opossums,
Siberian Chipmunks and more...