Chipmunk sexing question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 11:51 AM
sharmon55

Chipmunk sexing question

Well, I finally got a chipmunk! I am having problems finding out any indepth information on them though. Basics I can find, like feeding, housing, etc. But nothing more. I have posted to lists trying to find out if the sexual differences are very obvious or not so that I can tell if mine is a male or female. I have gotten some opinions. Some say they are very obvious, others say that the female organs are closer to the anus than the male. This to me is not obvious if you don't have the two to compare. I wish I could find a picture or drawing on the net to show this. Like the ones on sugar gliders.
Does anyone on here know about chipmunks and if so do you have or know where I can find a pic showing the differences in the sexes.
I know this sounds stupid but some animals are harder to tell if you don't know and I don't know how a chipmunk is, if they have teste' that show all the time or if they are internal and just get a slight bulge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 01:04 AM

Sharmon,
The male will be easy to recognize when he gets into what I call their breeding time. His nuts will get extremely large and look like to large almonds. When the heat passes they will desend
back in. You usually can only see them when they are in heat. I have a pair and haven't had any little ones yet.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 10:27 AM
sharmon55

sexing chipmunks

Well I guess that is the problem, it is suppose to be around 5 months old (the pet shop said) and it doesn't want to come out of it's box when anyone is around. I have examined it and not seen any sign of testes' but since it is young and not in breeding season yet, I wouldn't think, maybe I just can't see them if they are there. I am hoping to have a female because I would think finding a male for sale would be easier than a female, but who knows without having one to compare to. Without knowing I am afraid to try to get another. I have read that two males will kill each other.
I guess they don't show until the spring after their birth? Do they decend back to where you can't see them at all are just get smaller?
I will figure this out! :-) I wish all animals were obivious in their sex, like dogs for instance. I guess they know what they are and that is whats important, (to them anyway:-)

Quote:
Originally posted by cdfarm
Sharmon,
The male will be easy to recognize when he gets into what I call their breeding time. His nuts will get extremely large and look like to large almonds. When the heat passes they will desend
back in. You usually can only see them when they are in heat. I have a pair and haven't had any little ones yet.

Tags
breeding season, pet shop, sugar glider, sugar gliders