Chipmunks Urinating!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Chipmunks Urinating!!!

Sorry if this thread seems unpleasant, but i need a little help!

I have 2 female chipmunks in an indoor cage, i have had them for about a year and a half. Over the last few months they keeep urinating inside their bed and not in the corner(s) of the cage where they used to, this means that their bedding soon becomes very unpleasant and smells really bad. So i keep having to change the bedding and clean it out, even though i know i shouldn't do it regularly.
Don't really know what to do, have tried moving the bed around a bit, but they oinly stopped for a few days and then went back to their bad habbits!

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

What's the bed made of?
If it is a fabric try Natures Miracle, I ehar they haev a great laundry detergant one now. This will remove all past odors that usually have the animals going back to the same place.

If there bed is made of litter (carefresh/other) check to make sure the urine smells ok, and is normal in colour. Otherwise it could mean the animals are sick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

thanks for your response,

their bed is basically just a wooden nest box with small animal bedding and hay inside. I have got new ones in the past as you can only clean a wooden box so many times!
I do not think the animals are sick, just that they have got into a bad habbit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 07:34 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

There is a liquid available in pet stores I THINK called "Bio-Odor" or something like that. (?) I got one with the rabbit I rescued. It supposedly goes in the drinking water and stops the urine from smelling. But when I ran out Poppy's pee didn't smell that much anyway so I did not see the need.

You can try that; maybe it will "de-odor" you 'munks' urine. But I would check with the company and/or an exotics vet first for safety.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 07:36 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaS15
What's the bed made of?
If it is a fabric try Natures Miracle
I don't think that is intended to de-odor bedding.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave
I don't think that is intended to de-odor bedding.
lol.. not 'bedding' but 'bed' :p
I don't know anything about chipmunks, weather they sleep in 'bedding' like a gerbil, or a fabric 'bed' like some rats.

Maybe switch to a nesting box made from tiles or plastic?
That way you would just whipe it out, unlike wood that soaks the urine into it.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 03:14 PM

Lonely Male Chipmunk

Hi everyone! If someone knows if I can make a hamster, gerbel or chinchilla companion (not mate) for my chipmunk. I see him lonely and seems sad, I know its breeding season and its hard to get him a female chipmunk partner since they are not a longlife partners. Any suggestions, Please let me know!!

Kathy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Adolescent Pup

I don't think you can change the behavior. Get those stick nest boxes made for birds. The pee will run out that way.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/202194/product.web

Mary
Quasi - - - - Hyzzie - - - - - Pua - - - Jupiter - - - Kat

&
Angel Stewie

Tags
breeding season, nest box, pet store, pet stores