coatimundi? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

haha i completely agree. ill keep researching :]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Newborn Pup

I disagree with Tamndua girl. I have raised coatis for several years and found that they are some of the most loving and affeectionate pets you can have. The key is to raisse them properly and allow them to bond to you.
Please don't take offense Tamndua, your expereince is not uncommon with improperly trained coatis.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Adolescent Pup

That's why I said don't make good pets for most people. You think most any person would think having a coati is a good pet after having it awhile?

Do you deny that such issue like reflexive bites due to things like jingling key noises are common? It doesn't sound like a training issue to me but a genetic reflex to certain sounds. Most people are not into working around issues like that but will expect the animal to change instead.

To put it in other words. I would not recommend a coatimundi as a starter exotic. Maybe not an advanced exotic but not an okay for anyone sort of exotic.

Yeah anything can be a good pet for the right owner that knows what to expect. Some people have crocodiles and love them so are good pets but they certainly are not good pets for most people.

PS I know lots of people who own them and love them but I know from their experiences I'd not want one and they don't try to hide their issues. Every exotic has issues for anyone only used to domestics.

Mary
Quasi - - - - Hyzzie - - - - - Pua - - - Jupiter - - - Kat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

&
Angel Stewie

Last edited by TamanduaGirl; 11-27-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Newborn Pup

I am very sorry that you had a bad experience with your coati. I am assuming one of two senarios happened with you.

You were sold an older coati that had not properly been cared for or you were sold a younger coati without being instructed how to properly care and train your coati.

I have raised several coatis and if properly trained and bonded, they make incredibly affectionate pets that do not have any of the issues that you claim.

We gave my son a coati 7 years ago when he was 8 yrs old and his coati still jumps in his arms and loves all over him. We have several others that we let run loose outside in our backyard and when we go out, they quickly run to us and climb all over us wanting to be petted.

If you would like help to learn how to properly train and bond to your coati feel free to contact me again.

Again, I am sorry that you had a negative experience. That shouldn't have happened and shame on whoever put you in that position.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Newborn Pup

In a nutshell, yes, it is a training issue...
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Newborn Pup

Got to Google and type in "Raising and Caring For Your Pet Coatimundi". That will help a lot.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Coatimundi are not the ideal pet for everyone. They are an exotic animal and should be treated with respect. If you hit one, it will come back at you. If you take something away from one you will get bit. Try to trade for something they want more. All your little breakables have to be put away or they will become broken. These little guys donít do well caged a lot. Letting them out for an hour or two a day just isnít enough attention time.

http://www.trilakesexotics.com/coatimundi4.html

Quote:
As a juvenile, they want to play rough and fight so always use some kind of a toy, stuffed animal, kitchen towel, or whatever is nearby and handy for them to chew on instead of your hands.

Quote:
If you get bit when you do something, then donít do that thing.

http://www.trilakesexotics.com/coatimundi1.htm

You are making it sound like getting a coati is the same as getting a dog and they have no special concerns.

I know lots of people with coatis and they all have these issues I'm talking about. Even if it really were a training issue it still makes it obvious they are not the best pet for most since only a few elite people such as yourself claim they have trained them to have no problems. The normal person can not have a pet that will never bite or get into things or be destructive when having a coati.

Mary
Quasi - - - - Hyzzie - - - - - Pua - - - Jupiter - - - Kat

&
Angel Stewie

Tags
coatimundi