coatimundi? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

coatimundi?

Ive seen them online and on fourms but i know close to nothing about them and would very much like to. they look adorable, ive read a little bit and have become interested how they are as pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coati Never heard of them, but they are sure cute!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

arent they! ive been googling them for 3 hours nows!
but i would still love to talk to someone who knows about them other then just reading articles offline.
and i cant find the law in washington to see if im allowed to own one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 10:49 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Sorry I can't help you there. Is there possibly a coatimundi forum?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

http://forum.exotichobbyist.com/coatimundi/index_a.html ??

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Adolescent Pup

No they do not make good pets for most people. They are worse than raccoons about getting into things and worse than raccoons about biting. That said I do know several people who have them and love them. It's all about what you are willing to put up with.

Mary
Quasi - - - - Hyzzie - - - - - Pua - - - Jupiter - - - Kat

&
Angel Stewie

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 12:03 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Are we talking Nausa nausa?

Super cute animals, but they really should be kept outdoors in big enclousers.
They are very intelligent animals.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 07:52 PM

I am actually scared of them! I know someone who has a few and they are freaky. They have long noses that bend around and just freak me out! couldnt do it!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

after hours and hours and hours of research and reading close to 50 different stories, im still in love with them.
ive been emailing back and forth with a breeder all day.,
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 11:54 PM

For how long have you been interested in one?

Normally I tell people to reserch for a minimum of a couple of months.
It's mostly to ensure you really want the animal, and it's not just some spur of the moment thing.
I do the same thing every time I fall in love in with some animal

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Adolescent Pup

I literally spent years researching anteaters first but there info was harder to come by than Coati's.

Have you check your local laws? State, county and city? You need to be sure of them all. Get it in writing too.

Mary

&
Angel Stewie

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 09:01 PM

I def. second the research thing. I've rescued a few of these wonderful animals and they're quite a bit different than dogs and cats. The female just I got in, only 9 months old, was kept in a rabbit hutch most of her life and even though she's in a much larger cage now, all she did at first is pace from side to side in her cage, even though she had access to the house for on average 8-10 hours a day. Its heartbreaking that lack of knowledge and commitment could cause this beautiful creature to behave like that. So please, for your coati's sake, do your research. For example, most of them freak out at the sound of keys or the vaccuum. They don't like loud noises and are lactose intollerant. My new little girl loves her bottle still and loves fruit, as well. There is no proven rabies vaccine for them, and they are very particular in regards to other vaccines and anesthesia. Most vets won't touch them, so make sure you have one first. Most of them can't be litter trained, because its too much fun to dig and climb in and make a mess all over the floor. The best I've ever had only went to the bathroom in their cage, the worst, all over the floor and in my shoes.

Don't get me wrong, they can bring a ton of joy, but they are not for 99% of people. especially if you like the drywall on your walls, the stuffing in the cushions of your couch, the dog food in the bag and not all over the floor, and your socks in your bedroom and not in your coati's mouth as he/she runs around your house with them, playing "catch me if you can." I'm not an expert or anything, just personal experience. There's also a yahoo group for coatis you can join or feel free to email me any questions.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Adolescent Pup

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Coatimundi/summary

Mary

&
Angel Stewie

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Ive done a week of googling (i did 6 plus hours daily) and im still very interested. i found a vet that 40 minutes away :]! and have talked to her about them.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 05:45 AM

A week is very little time

If you'r truly interested, a couple of monts wont hurt
You'll also have the time to set up a nice cage, find out how to feed in the right way and so on

I've been reserching hedgehogs for a couple of years now, and even thoug I really want one, I'm not dead because of waiting

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

Tags
coatimundi