Coyote Puppy - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Romping Ratties

Me too! I know they mourn pretty bad. I watch too many Discovery Channel shows. There is still time to take them back to where you found them though.

I believe all of those who were arrested were breeding/selling/using them in hunting too. It's just sad that they are not regulated better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

No, Romping Ratties is right here in South Carolina they consider them a huge pest !!! They even alow you to hunt and kill them at night and they trap them and sell them to people who can train there dogs to hunt them its horrible.
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Romping Ratties

That's so sad. I can't believe their hunting and trapping season runs ALL year long! I can understand them being a pest, but to just slaughter them like that is horrible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

yea I know. see we used to not even have coyotes until a few years ago and now everyone hates them. For all I know this may not be a coyote pup lol. Starting all this over nuthing but I kinda think it is, time will tell.
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 07:31 PM
Romping Ratties

It does look like a coyote pup to me. Are all the babies the same? If so, then chances are it is. If there are any that look different I would have second thoughts, but judging from the coloration and ticking of the fur, it does look to be a wild pup. Only time will tell though. Could be a husky or shepherd mix too LOL!

What are you feeding her? I would suggest bottle feeding if she can get antibodies from a nursing mom. It would be much healthier for her to nuse. Just know that there is a potential to spread disease to yourself, your family and your pets.

post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 08:36 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

LOL, RR, you gotta remember that we live in the good ol' South. All sorts of animal laws are more lax down here. Rebel ... it isn't the State laws you have to worry about so much as the local ordinances... I don't know if you live in an urban area or not but that could influence whether or not you are able to keep it.

Personally, as far as keeping it indefinately goes, I agree with most of the other posters ... "can" doesn't equate "should". You live in the area that species occurs naturally. If it were me, I would release it as soon as it became old enough so it can reproduce and live in its natural habitat. I don't know if this is what you were planning to do ... just throwing in my two cents.

Good luck with your lil' baby, though.
post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 08:43 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

If you do keep it to be released at a later date, you DO have to have a permit for releasing it.
Also, coyotes don't naturally live in South Carolina...they were brought in a few years ago. But I do agree that "can" doesn't mean "should" and it is a wild animal. Not ment for domestication. If you keep it, YOU are responsible. If it bites or attacks a person or other animal, that's all on YOU. They are considered pests for a reason...pests, not pets. Please let them go to a rehabber or take them back to where you found them!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Right now I'm giving her puppy esbilac, please everyone just caum down If she gets uncontrollable which I doubt because my gray fox Misty is not, and I do know that wild animals aren't just like dogs and cats from experiance. My uncle lives on a farm and if she was to hard to keep he will take her up there and she can run and live freely and come and go as she pleases.
post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

One more pic oh and some of the pups had white feet white tipped tails but I have seen pics of coyote pups the same way other then that all the coloration is the same. My neighbor loves all my pets. and I dont have another neighbor so thats also a good thing.

Last edited by Rebel624; 04-10-2004 at 11:34 PM.
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 11:34 PM
Romping Ratties

Foxes and coyotes are two very different animals.

post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I definantly understand Romping, but as coyotes may be larger and get in to more they are definantly more dog like than a fox. I'm thinking it could actually be a better pet then a fox, and I dont understand what the problem is if only few survive in the wild. We are letting them all at least get something in life. If I were a coyote I would much rather live in captivity and get fed whenever instead of die. I mean there are some bad sides and some good, but I will do everything I can to make lots of good things for her.
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

You do realize your gray fox is illegal to have don't you? I sure hope no one finds out about it all...

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 04:09 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel624
I definantly understand Romping, but as coyotes may be larger and get in to more they are definantly more dog like than a fox. I'm thinking it could actually be a better pet then a fox, and I dont understand what the problem is if only few survive in the wild. We are letting them all at least get something in life. If I were a coyote I would much rather live in captivity and get fed whenever instead of die. I mean there are some bad sides and some good, but I will do everything I can to make lots of good things for her.
Actually, Rebel, if any animal is rare in the wild it is best they stay in the wild unless you have a captive breeding program for them. They may live a longer time under your supervised care but you are preventing them from procreating ... and therefore contributing to their being endangerd. A definite problem with most species of turtles nowadays, btw ...
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

yea I know now that my grayfox is illegal they just passed a new law july 2002 about it and I didnt know but Ive had her for 1 year now and there are coyotes everywhere down here now. Thats the problem it was ok when there was a few but now they are everywhere. It used to be rare to see them now you see them all the time. Whatever South Carolina has makes them live lol. I think its because they dont really have any preditors besides humans and they really like the whitetail deer Which is another reason they wont them out.
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Romping Ratties

How do you know your coyote won't be illegal soon? It's just something to consider. What do you plan to do with your fox now that she is no longer allowed? If you are found out they could euthanize her. Is there any way to obtain a special permit for her to avoid this happening in the future? I am just concerned for her safety and would hate to see you go through the loss of a pet (knowing it would be euthanized) and would rather you avoid fines etc. They can get pretty hefty!

Closed Thread

Tags
animal cruelty, doing fine, exotic animals, flying squirrel, flying squirrels, pet owner, shepherd mix, wild animal, wild animals