Coyote Puppy - Page 4 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

As for misty Im keeping her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

wow if yall think im going to get rid of my fox im not even going to visit this forum anymore. That is such BS. Here in the south people dont think anything about having a fox or a coon and yes my vet knows and I feed her all kinds of things. She likes meats mostly raw and she likes fruits. She also likes mice and just because I'm 15 that dont meen crap. I have lots of experience with animals. How many 15 year olds do you know that can bottle feed a 1 1/2 week old mal nutrition fox or squirrels for that matter and since we took back the coyote pups there is a women my uncle knows that breeds them. If I want one Ill do the right thing and get one born in captivity. By the way I'll be 16 in June if that makes a difference but I doubt that cuz I guess these days you have to be over 18 to be able to care for a wild animal or what age is it?

Last edited by Rebel624; 04-13-2004 at 03:01 PM.
post #48 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel624
wow if yall think im going to get rid of my fox im not even going to visit this forum anymore. That is such BS. Here in the south people dont think anything about having a fox or a coon and yes my vet knows and I feed her all kinds of things.
I don't quite think 'leaving the forum' is the best thing... I think the reason people are so 'into' this, is because we care about the well being of the animals. I'm not saying that you aren't taking care of them, it's just that wild animals are wild for a reason...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 03:23 PM
Romping Ratties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure14K
I don't quite think 'leaving the forum' is the best thing... I think the reason people are so 'into' this, is because we care about the well being of the animals. I'm not saying that you aren't taking care of them, it's just that wild animals are wild for a reason...
While it's mostly for the animals involved it's also for her. I am sure she loves her fox and it would be a TERRIBLE thing if something happened and the fox was taken and euthanized. The fox is illegal and you should not have him, no matter what. There are several people out there who are better able to care for him than you. You being 15 or 16 doesn't have much to do with it except that you are dependent upon others until you are moved out of your house and able to do things on your own. Misty is a wild animal and was born in the wild. If she was sick a rehab person could have taken her and worked with her to get her into the wild again once she was healed. Wild animals get hurt all the time but it's not our responsibility to play god all the time. It's nature unfortunately. There are people out there who go through **** to get licensed to care for these animals and a lot of time, money and patience is involved in rehabbing.

Please just try to think of Misty. While I know it would be very hard on you to place her it really is the best thing. She is a wild animal and it is illegal to own her. What if someone gets mad at you and reports you have her and they come and take her away and euthanize her and you or your family get fined? I just don't want to see you or Misty hurt.

post #50 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Well Misty is fine here and umm.. We have placed the pups back where they were. I am not getting rid of her and Im not a she I am a guy, and yall act like I dont have any parents. There is no one around to report me so thats not going to happen. I have had her for 1 1/2 years she is just like a little dog. She dont even leave the yard and she loves people she wags her tale and rubs up against them. Yall keep calling her a wild animal like she needs to be free, but she is no different from a fennec fox or a arctic fox. I dont see you telling people who have fennecs and arctics to turn them over to someone. She is bottle fed captive born, so whats the difference, besides that fact that I'm alowed to own a arctic or a fennec and not a gray. The only reason my state does that is because they dont want you to keep any wild animal that is in South Carolina exept coyotes. I think its retarted. Whats the difference from having a gray fox, or a fennec. They just say that because there are gray foxes in South Carolina. Before you guys know it its going to be illegal in all sorts of places. Then what will yall do? Start turning your pets over? Let them people run your life? How do yall figure its the best thing for Misty when she loves me and her home. How would you like to move away from your family and be at a place where no one gave you any attention and expects you to act like a wild animal when your not. I dont think I would like it. When I let her out her cage at home she doesnt go act like a wild animal she likes to chase balls and chase me around and she still drinks from a bottle. I just dont think yall understand. If one of you guys had a pet that you have had and just found that it was illegal I would be with you 100% I wouldn't wan't you to have to give away something you loved or for it to have to leave who it loved eather. Yall got to relized that its not just turning over a wild animal that I found like thoughs coyotes. This is more like having a dog that you really loved and did everything with and just gave it away.

Last edited by Rebel624; 04-13-2004 at 04:10 PM.
post #51 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Let them people run your life?
"Them" people are in charge of setting up laws, like it or not. I'm stand by my original feelings, if the fox is illegal, you should not have her

Last edited by Pure14K; 04-13-2004 at 04:20 PM.
post #52 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Well she wasn't illegal when I got her and I read that if you had one before july 2, 2002 then you can keep it.
post #53 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 04:13 PM
Romping Ratties

I don't have a problem with any sort of fox being owned as long as it is done responsibly. She is illegal, if a fennec were illegal I wouldn't agree with that either. Here in Oregon we are not allowed to have possums and I frown upon any that do because they are putting that animals life in jeopardy knowing it is illegal and if something happens it will lose it's life.

Most exotic laws passed have a Grandfather clause which allows the animals who were already obtained before the law was in place to stay with their current owners. If not, then you have to obey the law and as much as it hurts I would rather see my pet humanely euthanized than risk my future knowing I would face jail time or a fine.

post #54 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 04:16 PM
Romping Ratties

Quote:
Well she wasn't illegal when I got her and I read that if you had one before july 2, 2002 then you can keep it.
That would be the grandfather clause and if in fact you obtained her before the law was in place and had all the proper paper work you should be just fine. However I don't think it's very responsibly letting her roam free like you mentioned. There is a chance with her being a wild animal to bite someone, or catch a neighbors pet, in which case you would be liable. Do you have a pen she can be kept in? Or at least keep her on a leash when letting her outside?

post #55 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

You guys act like it was illegal when I got her but it wasnt and It says that if I had her before they passed that law I am alloud to keep it.
post #56 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 04:21 PM
Romping Ratties

Rebel, while that is true you would still be allowed to keep her you mentioned you have only had her for one year, which would mean you obtained her in 2003, long before the law was in place, which in fact would make you having her unlawful.

Quoted from your post on page 2
"yea I know now that my grayfox is illegal they just passed a new law july 2002 about it and I didnt know but Ive had her for 1 year now"

But I am going to leave it at that. You are going to do what you think is right no matter what any of us say.

post #57 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

well they will run an age test on her and see how old she is
post #58 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 04:25 PM
Romping Ratties

Don't you have paper work from when she was adopted? If they do have a grandfather clause you will need to have your original paper work handy in order to prove she was obtained before the law went into effect. If you are not breaking the law keeping her I don't have a problem with it because you said she was a bottle baby and born and raised in captivity.

Hopefully you can get this all sorted out.

post #59 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

yea i have it somewhere around here.
post #60 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 06:58 PM

Rebel624- Thank you so much for returning the coyote kits back to the wild...if you find proof within a day or a day and a half that the mother hasn't returned and claimed them, you may want to then call a wildlife rehabilitation to take them and care for them. As far as your fox is concerned, if you have the proper paperwork to prove you had the fox before the law went into effect and you take the proper precautions such as appropriate pens and leashes, it should be okay to keep her. You said you have the paperwork around somewhere...I suggest you find it and keep it on hand at all times. If something were to happen and they came to take the fox, if you can't find that paperwork within a matter of minutes, they will take her and fine you and your family...court costs and the like add up, so you want to make sure you have it on hand as long as you have the fox. Again, thank you for doing the right thing for the coyote kits and if momma doesn't move them or claim them within a day or so, then call a rehabilitator. Let us know what happens!
Closed Thread

Tags
animal cruelty, doing fine, exotic animals, flying squirrel, flying squirrels, pet owner, shepherd mix, wild animal, wild animals