Coyote Puppy - Page 5 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 06:09 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla_Girl
I suggest you find it and keep it on hand at all times. Again, thank you for doing the right thing for the coyote kits and if momma doesn't move them or claim them within a day or so, then call a rehabilitator.
Awesome advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 12:34 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I'm glad that you returned the coyotes...as hard as it would've been for you you did the right thing....as with your fox....find the paper work and make sure you have your fox legally.....sounds like you really love that fox and I'd hate to see it taken from you cause you didn't follow the law. As much as the law sucks sometimes you have to obey it.....in America you are allowed to keep heaps more animals than we are here in Aus...turtles and flying squirrels are illegal here just to name two and rabbits are even illegal in some states. So really think yourself lucky!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #63 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 01:32 AM

No turtles?? j/k I knew that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 06:24 AM

Good Luck with your Coyote pup...Just remember they have an instict to kill, so be careful when your little cutie pie gets larger
post #65 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy6
Good Luck with your Coyote pup...Just remember they have an instict to kill, so be careful when your little cutie pie gets larger
He returned them to where he found them
post #66 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Romping Ratties

I am glad they were returned. Please let us know how things go with the pups. I hope all goes well.

post #67 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 11:24 AM

Hiya Rebel! I hope you read this, and that you have not left. How are the pups doing, had you returned all of them to the 'nest' site or just the one you had? I know it probably seems like the other members jumped on you, hopefully you won't feel that about me. I only JUST turned 18, so I am closer to your age. You might feel better listening to me than a bunch of adults who are twice as our age. Ok, back to what I felt like saying. I am proud of you for having returned the pup(s). I know that took a LOT of strength. They look so much like little dog puppies when they are that little, and I KNOW I would have wanted to keep that pup if I had found him. I have had similar experience though. About two years ago I decided I wanted a wolfdog (wolf hybrid). I looked at a lot of websites about them and they all said the same thing, "These are not pets, they are not for the average pet owner, they take a lot of work, etc.." I figured though that if I got a puppy and raised it exactly like a dog, it would grow up exactly like a dog, no matter how much wolf was in it. Luckily though, I saw enough warnings that in the end I settled for a wolfdog who did not have a lot of wolf in her. Even so, she still has a lot of the very intense wolf behavior. If I had not spent a year studying wolfdogs, I would NOT have known at all how to properly handle her. If she had had a lot of wolf in her, I wouldn't have been able to keep her at all, no matter how much I knew. The main reason people jumped on you about the coyote is that even though it looks like a puppy now, it will still grow up to be a coyote with coyote behavior. A coyote is not like any fox or any dog you will ever have. It would grow up tame to you, but it would fear all other outside human contact, but unfortunately, it would not fear it enough to stay out of trouble. It would not fear humans enough to stay out of their trash, to keep away from their pets, and perhaps not even enough to stay away from children. No, coyotes are not kid-killers, but some have attacked, and even killed, small children. A 'tame' coyote who is running lose is even more likely to pose a threat to pets, and even small children. To avoud this, the coyote would HAVE to have strong containment. Coyotes are smart, they can dig, jump, climb, and would need an enclosure large enough and secure enough to live in for the rest of their life. An enclosure like that would cost thousands of dollars, and it would be the only way any person would ever have any sort of hope of keeping a coyote as a 'pet'. I hope you don't think anyone is critisizing you again, I just felt like giving a more detailed explanation as to why coyotes can't be kept as a pet like a fox or dog.
post #68 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 02:10 PM

over-react much?

Wow, you guys are really harsh on this kid. I live in Vermont, and I know up here it is legal to shoot a coyote at ANY time, without a permit. Which I agree is terrible but honestly, most 15 yr old country boys I know would much rather go out and shoot something than care for these animals. Cut this kid some slack, he's doing good work. Those coyotes are much more likely to thrive with him watching over them, then they would be wandering around in deer country. At least they'll know his family's property is safe from hunters. As for the fox, if the fox is happy, you should be too.
post #69 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

This thread is 5 years old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread

Tags
animal cruelty, doing fine, exotic animals, flying squirrel, flying squirrels, pet owner, shepherd mix, wild animal, wild animals