Coyote Puppy - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Coyote Puppy

I think I got me a coyote puppy here. My uncle and I was walking through the woods and found an old barn and we went in and heard these little guys crying. The mom wasnt anywhere around and they looked like they were about to starve. Im thinking the mother may have been hit buy a car or something because there is a highway a little ways away from where we found them. They look less then a week old almost a week. My uncles dog just had puppies and the mother is nursing them. I am pretty sure that they are coyote pups. Im bottle feeding a little girl and she is doing really well here is a pic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 04:42 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

You know, mothers often leave the babies alone to go hunt. You should have really left them alone and checked back later to see if she returned. If after 2 days with no signs of mother, then take action. Of course it is now too late, but as long as your dog is feeding them, they should be okay...I would find a wild life rehabilitator to take them ASAP. You can be fined for keeping them. Cute pic though

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well I'm keeping her I have bottle fed many things and last year I bottle fed a 2 week old gray fox and she is doing fine, she wasnt even healthy when I got her. Its not like anyone knows where I got it. For all they know its got some dog in it. Besides in the wild less then half of the babies would survive and my moms friend can get me all the needed vaccinations for her. I'll keep yall updated on her.

Last edited by Rebel624; 04-09-2004 at 10:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 10:47 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I would find out the laws about keeping wild animals such as the coyote as well as the fox. If certain people found out you had them, you could be in a lot of trouble. I'm not trying to down you, just letting you know ahead of time that they could be illegal and you could be in for hefty fines or possibly jail time depending on the state and local laws.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Im aloud to Keep wild/exotic animals as pets but I have to have a license to breed or sale and I cant import wild/exotic animals but I can export.
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 11:25 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Smile

AWW!
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 11:37 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel624
Im aloud to Keep wild/exotic animals as pets but I have to have a license to breed or sale and I cant import wild/exotic animals but I can export.
Okay, then you should be fine then...just remember that although it is young and you will be hand raising it, it is still a wild animal with wild animal instincts. Keep a close eye on her because as she ages, those instincts will kick in...hopefully nothing will happen, but coyotes are notorious for killing people's domesticated pets in the wild as well as unsupervised children. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that, but there are some people that will think it's cool and want one not really knowing what they are getting into. Keep us posted on her with pics and stories of her growing up. I'm sure she will make life VERY interesting!

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 11:43 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm glad they are doing well. You mentioned that you were going to keep the little girl that you are bottle feeding? What are you going to do with the others? How many are there?

I found this page that might be helpful to you:

http://www.owlsonline.org/index.html

I'm not sure if this information pertains to you or not but I found it really interesting:

http://hometown.aol.com/motleyone/

One of the pages was explaining that most mammalian wildlife hunt for food during the day and leave their young. It said that there is a good chance you can reunite the pups with the parents if you put them in a box near where you found them. It also said to make sure you can't be seen or scented. If after 6 hours they haven't returned and found the babies a Wildlife Rehab Center should be contacted. It also said that even after days of human contact they will still accept the young - human scent and all. If they are alive they have probably been looking for the babies.

Good Luck, I hope everything goes well.

[center]

[
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 04:34 AM

I love you Rebel.
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 08:26 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I love all babies!! Very cute.

I am inclined to agree though, I would at least Try to reunite them with their mother just in case she is still alive. If she is, it is in their best interest.

Chinchilla Girl made some good points. Even if you have the proper licenses through usda it may not be the proper license for a coyote. From what I understand they all have different kinds of paperwork.

Best of luck to you.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 01:09 PM
Romping Ratties

USDA only regulates exotics who are bred, sold etc. If is the Fish and Game/Wildlife Commision you will need to talk with in order to find out if it is legal to own one in your area. If you are set on owning a coyote pup then I would suggest finding a local breeder who has YEARS of experience doing so. This is a wild animal born in the wild, and it should stay in the wild. It would be a very very sad thing to see this pup grow up in captivity and it later turn agressive and have to be euthanized. Wild canids are NOT for the beginner wildlife keeper. I know as I used to have both a coyote and wolf. Coyotes are notorious for being very skittish and usually only bond to one person. Daringer was that way, although she did get along very well with our wolf Matthew. They need HUGE enclosures, I mean huge. Daringer could jump from our car up onto our roof of the house in one leap. They also have a specific diet. This pup should really be in the wild, not in your home. She needs to go to a rehab place ASAP. Although in some states owning a wild animal is legal (if it were born in Captivity!) this is strictly a wild animal taken from the wild and you need a permit from the state to do rehab. Everystate has their own licensing guidelines and they are very strict. You could be fined a very hefty amount not to mention facing a felony conviction.

Although bottlefeeding will keep her alive, puppies really need the antibodies only adult moms can provide. Without this she will have a very weak immune system. There is also the potential she is carrying parasites which can be given to other pets/people. Keeping a wild animal just because "it's cute" is not the most responsible thing to do IMHO. Why not just hand her over to a wildlife agency who can give her the life she derserves, being free to live as a wild animal.

"my moms friend can get me all the needed vaccinations for her." Is your moms friend a vet? Any wild animal kept as a pet should be seen by a licensed veterinarian. I am not trying to be harsh but I just want you to know what you are doing to this animal. This is a wild animal who deserves his freedom. There are many coyote breeders out there who can help you find a baby coyote of your own, if that is what you really want to do, but taking one destined to be free is just sad thing.

And yes, I would definitely say that is a coyote pup! Since you love wildlife why not try to become a licensed rehabber? Then you can gain the experience you need to work with wild animals and the reward of watching a released animal go back into the wild is an amazing thing.

Last edited by Romping Ratties; 04-10-2004 at 01:11 PM.

post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 01:41 PM
Romping Ratties

It is illegal to own or posses fox or coyotes in South Carolina without a runners permit. Here is one site that talks about it in more detail:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...d=385210&rfi=6
“State laws strictly prohibit the sale, purchase or possession of coyotes and foxes without the required DNR issued, permits.”

I also called a few wildlife rescues in your area. If you are found out by the state your animals will be seized and most likely be euthanized.

post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 01:48 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Great post Romping Ratties and great link...I couldn't find that last night.
Please Rebel624 do what is in the best interest of the coyote kits and hand them over to a licensed rehab facility. If you truely love the animal, you'll do what is in it's best interests and that is to let it go. Doing so can save their lives and save you from hefty fines and misdemeanor or felony convictions!

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 02:12 PM
Romping Ratties

Well darnet! I just called this number (just in case anyone wants to verify) 1-800-922-5431 and they said that they ARE legal to keep as pets, and in fact, you can trap as many as your little heart desires all year round. Can you believe it? I have recieved conflicting info from rehabbers, the internet and now these people, but I think I am going to believe the people I just got off the phone with since they work for the state Wildlife people, meh. So that means anyone in South Carolina can go steal coyote pups from the wild and turn them into "pets". Isn't that sad? Anyone! That seems a little slack don't you think?

I still think it's in the best interest and those I talked to on the phone agreed, that the pups should be returned to where they were found so that the mother can raise them. I am saddned the state of South Carolina doesn't do more to protect these animals. The man said that hunting and trapping season is year round so I can only imagine just how many of these animals are trapped/killed each year. Geez, makes you kinda want to side with Rebel.

I would still try to verify the info though, as that one link does say it's illegal to possess them? Gets me a bit confused LOL!

Oh just wanted to say though that the fox is still illegal, but the coyotes are OK.

post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Actually I found on several sites that trapping requires certain permits. Also, how is it they are not illegal to possess, yet all those people have been arrested for it?
No matter what the law states, they need to be returned or handed over to a qualified rehabber. God only knows what diseases they have now given to your other pets and you Rebel.
The whole thing is just really sad...you should have left them be. The mother is probably going crazy trying to figure out what happened to her kits. I know I would be of someone stole my kids!

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
Closed Thread

Tags
animal cruelty, doing fine, exotic animals, flying squirrel, flying squirrels, pet owner, shepherd mix, wild animal, wild animals