do anyone know whats wrong with my squirrel? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation do anyone know whats wrong with my squirrel?

im scared my richardson ground squirrel Swen may be sick. when i haved go to let the squirrels out today Izzy run up to me like they usuly do, but Swen just sited there in the food bowl and so i piked him up and he was liking my hands like crazy and i put him down and he haved liked the floor and he liking everything, the radio and the furnature and the wall and he haved chased myhand around to lik it and he keeped liking my pants and shirt and everything. i gived him a salt wheel but he didnt liked that and also he was maked wierd sound like couhing or sneezing but i dont know. and he was walk all funny at the begining but after like 10 mins he walk normal again. so im taking him to the vet tomarrow. but if anyone know anything about this what it culd be PLEASEplease tell me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Did you make sure his water bottle wasn't clogged and was working properly? Is he eating/drinking normally? A vet is definitely the best course of action, but make sure you have one who is confident and knowledgeable in the treatment of exotics.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

thanks for reply yeah i cheked the water bottle even gived him a bowl of water incase he forgot how to drink or somthing but wasnt thirsty. and the vet say Swen was perfektly helthy and he dont know whats wrong but today Swen stopped liking everything and he still make a wierd couhing nois and Izzy do it also but the vet sayed he was fine so maybe they just couhing occasonaly is normal. but anyway swen is fine so im happy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:22 AM

If he is licking you maybe he's not getting enough salt in his diet and he's looking for more.

Just a thought, I'm really not sure. . .

A vet is the best bet&&I hope everything is okay!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

i have a salt wheel in the cage but they dont really use it. anyway, he have not licked like crazy since then so hes ok. thanks!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Richardson ground squirrel: Excessive licking, very sleepy, not eating

Has anyone had a similar experience as Swedishfish with their Richardson ground squirrel developing a strange licking habit, or know what the problem is and how to fix it?

A couple of days ago my sweet little Richardson stopped eating and pooing, and peeing less. She was extremely sleepy, yet developed an excessive licking habit. She was licking everything - my hands, the walls of my apartment, inner walls of her litter tray, etc. My squirrel doesn't seem to cough or sneeze. I live in Japan and my Japanese language skills aren't the best. The vet said she doesn't know what the problem is, but maybe a blockage in Richardson's digestive tract, which is why she's not eating or pooing. The vet prescribed some sugar water and a laxative. I've been mashing up banana, avocado, and watering down almond butter, all of which Richardson licks off my fingers (a little bit), but doesn't eat off a dish.

Now, a couple of days later, Richardson still isn't 100%, as in not as affectionate as usual, but more lively and eating some celery and lettuce leaves on her own. I'm still hand feeding her mashed food, because she's not eating her regular food. I'm also giving her the laxative and sugar water. She's pooing a little now, and the licking persists but has decreased.

Does anyone know whether there's something missing in my Richardson's diet? I've read that Richardsons don't need salt licks, but if I provide one, would she lick it and make things worse or just ignore it if she doesn't need it? Maybe this strange sickness is a result of not hibernating properly? Or a symptom of depression from not "getting any" during the mating season (she's a spoiled yet solo pet)?

Thanks for your help!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Newborn Pup

I know that this is an older post but if anyone comes in here looking with similar symptom maybe you need to read up on and start giving calcium. You can began with tums or bird coddle bones until you can order or get calcium powder to sprinkle on food. It is very easy to develop MBD from not enough calcium.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Newborn Pup

Ah, thanks for the tip - I'll look into calcium supplements. My Richardson made a full recovery from the laxative and sugar water treatment, but I still don't know what was actually wrong an how to avoid it. Hopefully a little extra calcium will prevent it.