Do Millipedes have eyes? XD - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Do Millipedes have eyes? XD

Soooo... I was holding Millie the other day, and for some random reason she stopped and decided to have a staring contest with me. While I was looking at her lil face, I noticed Ive never seen here eyes before!

So I was wondering... do they even HAVE eyes? If they do, where are they? Or do they just feel around with their antennas? I know thats what Millie usually appears to do- get around by touch.

If they dont have eyes, should I train her a seeing-eye hermit crab?? (LOL, JK! That would be cute tho!)

Yes, I know... Its a stupid question! I just HAVE to know tho!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 07:37 PM

Some don't & some do (apparently!)...but not quite like "eyes" either..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millipede

Quote:
Millipedes do not have the large compound eyes found in insects. Instead, they have "simple" eyes, known scientifically as ocelli, that can sense light and dark but are not very good at forming images. As a result, the eyesight of millipedes is very poor, and they are practically blind. Since nearly all millipedes are nocturnal, though, lack of good vision is not a problem for them. They get most of their information concerning their surroundings from their antennae, which are loaded with chemical sensors. Millipedes are also very sensitive to vibrations that they pick up through the ground.
Got from: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...deanatomy.html

I like the idea of seeing eye crabs! xD
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Thanks!
Oooh! I think I do acually know wher her eyes migh be now- is that a lil eye ball, above the antenna?
Well, you can help me train them, cuz Millies practically blind!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 03:11 PM

!~
& yup i think that is a little eyeball xD

Tags
millipede