Hello and Capuchin! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hello and Capuchin!

Hello, I am new to these boards as of today.
I have been researching Cap's for over a year now, but you can always learn more, if you are a responsible pet owner. My husband and I cannot have children together, I know a monk will never replace that, but it will definately keep me busy! I have some questions I have not gotten anyone to really answer.

I read on alot of forums about people getting mauled by their monk. Working in NABRA (National American Bulldog Rescue) for 4 years I learned to always stress the bad points of owning a pet so people really consider their actions. There are alot of Bulldogs that attack their owners, but that does not mean they all will. I realize all monks are different, so not all will do it. Does anyone know anyone with a cap that is 8+yrs old I can chat with? What gets me is why do people use cap's to help the disabled if this monk is going to maul them at some point?

I recently started looking to purchase a monk and got plagued with a mailbox full of scammers. I will make a list of all these scammers IP adresses in the Pets for sale forum, along with how I found out they were a scam. One even went so far as to tell me he hit a child with his car and needed the money A.S.A.P . I have decided to only deal within the U.S. and pay the extra money and drive to the sellers door with money in hand. DO NOT TRUST anyone! I have roughly $7,000 in the bank, and a cap baby is about $6-6,500, so I am going to wait another year or so. It would be careless of me to spend every dime I have getting the monk and then not have money to provide for her amenities.

Here is my E-mail adress I would love to talk with anyone about monk care, and what to expect. [email protected]

Awesome job on the forums BTW, there is no other out there I have found like it.

-Jill Nabors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Hi Jill and welcome to PT! I hope you get some good advice from some of the guys on here..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Curmudgeon

Hi Jill,

I'm glad to see you've been researching monkeys for a year. Rather than restate a lot of things that have already been posted, I'd suggest you read some of postings at these two threads.

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26071

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25333

I have a bit of experience, both direct, and indirect (my wife is a gorilla/orang trainer) with primates. I would urge you to make sure you read not only from web sites that advocate primates as pets. There is a lot of info that shows how poorly they do in the home.

They are not ever suitable as a pet IMHO.

Capuchins, Spiders, Woollys, etc. are all primates that will try to dominate you as they become adults. For an animal their size, they can leave vicious wounds with their very impressive canines.

Despite what the breeders will tell you, they rarely live to old age in a pet environment. Usually they are given up or die within the first three years. If you don't decide to get rid of it, you will most likely kill it with a cold, strep throat or even the flu. Diseases like this (and quite a few others) can kill a monkey within twenty four hours of the first symptoms.

There are legal issues to consider. In many states, (and I beleive TN is one) any bite by an exotic, and this is anything that can carry rabies other than a cat, dog or ferret, may require that the person undergo rabies post-exposure shots, ..either that, or the animal MUST be euthanized. What's more, some homeowners policies will not cover you if you have a primate in the house.

I know many people who work with them, love them and have raised numerous baby monkeys in their care. None of them would ever consider owning one. I've had two Woolly monkey babies spend part of their "babyhood" commuting to my house.

Cute?..Yes. Adorable? ...Gawd Yes!

But what you see as a baby, despite the care you lavish on it, has practically NO bearing on what you will see as an adult. Instincts kick in, and you have a smart, unpredictable, hormone driven little creature that has it's OWN agenda for life.

There ARE some great alternatives out there, even some really neat exotics that aren't for everyone. However, I don't believe monkeys are for anyone. It sounds like you've already made up your mind to get one, but I would hope that you would reconsider.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thank you for the info Mygala.

What would you recommend as a suitable pet? I have two cats and a dog, none of them all to bright =). My Dobe is a perfectly obediant boy. I have always been into exotics, but refuse to buy one until I had the money to care for one and the knowledge. Almost every pet group, even dogs, there are people protesting they will never make a good pet, do not propogate the buisness. I agree 100%, but I cannot stop the buisness and that dog or animal (my dog was one of those "Dont buy that dog") that I would have given a enriched home to may end up with someone who will keep them locked in a closet for twenty years. I know I am a responsible pet owner and my vet will confirm that.

So I am wondering what other exotic out there is suitable? Interactive, smart, affectionate, and will live a long time. Adulthood was my biggest fear, I do not want to give up my family member or mutilate it to keep it a safe pet. Does anyone know someone that has a capuchin as a family pet still at 10yrs+ old?? Why would the U.S allow primates as pets if all of them maul their owners?

My biggest question is if these primates are such horrible pets why are they being used to help the disabled. You would think the disabled would not survive an attack? Here is the web addy below. There are a few other organizations out there but this is the one I had in my favorites folder.

Helping Hands

I appreciate the time you have given me and all the posts you made were very informative =)

-Jill
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Curmudgeon

Jill,

As a general rule, I hate to advocate "exotics" to just anyone. You may well be the exception to most rules.

If you have the time and energy, an exotic bird can be an enormously rewarding companion. All are of varying degrees of intelligence, most are extremely interactive and a few are downright "cuddly". For a good, intelligent, disciplined owner, something like a macaw, a grey, an amazon, or even a cockatoo might be the answer.

They will probably run less than the monkey, require less specialized care, be easier to find a qualified vet for, and there is more "bird stuff" and info out there than there is "monkey stuff" and info. All in all, I'd call it a superior pet in almost every respect.

Almost every bird keeper I know has birds at home, none of the primate keepers has primates. Although many do have birds!

There are many different animals that people discuss here, Chins, Degus, Flying squirrels, etc. I must admit I have little or no experience with most of these. Everyone hereabouts seems to rave about them. I did have a chin for a few years. It was a sweet animal, but not the ideal pet for me. I didn't find it all that intelligent, compared to my parrots. That may just have been my experience though...

I personally always wanted to get an African Pouched rat or a Fennic Fox. I've heard some interesting things about them.

As for "Helping Hands", I must say I have had no direct experience with them. However, in my personal circle of aquaintances (among them many primate keepers at several zoos) they are not all that highly regarded. There may be a niche for them, but the animals are "modified" in order to make them more "suitable" for their role. They are neutered, and the canines are removed. They still have a limited usable lifespan, and I have heard stories that there are more failures than successes.

I guess it all depends on who you talk to. The Helping Hands folks certainly aren't going to endanger their fund raising by publicizing their failures, and people who are against having monkeys in that role aren't going to acknowledge the successes.

For a sobering look at what monkeys can do, especially Capuchins, check out this page of "Testimonials" by owners:

http://www.petmonkey.info/testimonials.htm

The whole website: http://www.petmonkey.info/index.htm has a lot of good, very sobering information for the potential owner.

It also has a page concerning the legal aspects, and it shows Tenn as have a partial state ban. What that means, I don't know. You asked why the US allows them as pets. That's not really a federal issue. They not allowed to be imported as pets. Many states do ban them. In the states that they are legal, there are many county and municipalities that ban them. I'd check very carefully before spending the money on one.

Glad you are willing to dialogue on this issue..

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"

Last edited by Mygala; 04-03-2005 at 02:28 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Ive read that whole site allready (the one you linked)

I called my state Dpet of Agriculture and they have no laws regarding monks except they must have health certificate. I did not ask what happens if one is reported for biting, but I assume as with dogs the law is the same.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Curmudgeon

The situation with a bite and the rabies question is always troubling.

Rabies vaccine manufacturers will only certify their vaccine for certain animals. Some vets may USE it on other animals, but that doesn't usually carry any weight with the State Health Dept. We use it on practically every warm-blooded animal at the zoo, but no manufacturer tests whether it works for antelope, zebra, or otters.

What this means, for example, is that if you have a pet Bobcat, and it bites someone, (even it has been vaccinated for rabies) it will be treated as a potentially rabid animal bite. The vaccine it got was not certified for use in Bobcats.

The person bitten must either consent to the post-exposure shots or the animal may be euathanized for an examination of its tissues to see if rabies is present.

There have been several intances like this in zoos. In the most recent, a person crossed barriers to get close to a tiger. They got bitten. If they didn't consent to the shots, the tiger would have had to have been put down.

(Here is the link: http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25451 )

For most states, this is the law. The only animals that rabies manufacturers will certify are the most common domestic animals. As far as I know, that is dog, cat or ferret. Monkeys, and most other exotics are not among them.

That means, if the person is pissed at you for your monkey biting them, they can refuse to get the shots and the monkey will have to be put down. ...and they could STILL sue you!

I doubt if your homeowner insurance will cover you from this kind of lawsuit. You could potentially lose everything. This isn't far fetched at all. If you've done your homework, you KNOW how prone mature monkeys are to bite.

I'm sure I also don't need to remind you of the other zoonotics that are associated with primate bites. A large number of primates, even captive bred ones carry various forms of herpes and hepatitus viruses. Any person bitten by a monkey would probably have a very strong case for a lawsuit.

Just more things to think about...

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I was thinking of a tiger as well. I seen one for sale at $950, they are so cute and cuddley.

JK!!! Heh, I just read an article where a man in Kentucky last week his 10 yr old step daughter was killed. They were grooming the male tiger when he turned on the child. The tiger of course lost his life . I did however see a site that was selling tigers and other large cats for under $1,000, amazing...........

I am going to talk with the lady who owns exoticpets.com and ask her to refer several people who actually own caps past the baby phase. I talked to her last week when a scammer sent me a pic of a baby cap she was selling. Funny thing was that was the same cap on exoticpets website!! Turns out that 13 week female was really a 10yr old male (his baby pic)! If I cannot get sufficient evidence from several cap owners where they havent been attacked, then I doubt I will get one. I could live with the bites but I could not live knowing my baby may be killed or confined for life once she hits a certain age.

I was considering an African Grey but I have a hard time picturing a bird that will bond.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Well, Mygala I have taken your dedication to heart. I have thought long and hard for 3 days and you have managed to completely change my mind, in what took me 3 years to build up. It was a hard decision to accept never having children with my husband and to build up that a monkey would replace that emptyness. I want what is best for the animal not what is best for my selfishness. I thank you for your heartfelt info and passion for monkies.

I have spoken with an expert on birds, I thought a Gray would be perfect. But my husband has 2 children and Grays prefer to be alone. Altho a gray costs more, this woman who obviously loves birds more than money, has set me up with an Umbrella White Cockatoo. She suggested a smaller cockatoo (also cheaper) but the playfulness of the umbrella won me over. I should be getting my new baby in 2 weeks, I just ordered all of what the bird needs to live a happy life in my home.

I think you may have just changed my life Mygala, and saved me from innevitable heartbreak. NO ONE was willing to talk with me seriously, I asked atleast 50 people their honest opinion. I would LOVE to keep in touch with you Mygala, and I will post some pictures of my new baby as soon as I get him/her.

I will make a new post on Cockatoo's in the bird section when he/she arrives. I believe a responsible owner is always open to help and tips from others.

Ty again!
-Jill
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Curmudgeon

I think you've done the right thing. I've had a Moluccan Cockatoo that will turn 16 next month. Cockatoos are a hand full. They require time and attention, but they are great birds. This is as great a challenge as a some of the smaller primates, but I think if you do tons of research, and get all your "ducks in a row", you'll be rewarded with an exceptionally loving, lifelong companion.

PM me ANYTIME, I'll be glad to get back to you.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"

Tags
african grey, captive bred, flying squirrel, flying squirrels, health certificate, pet owner, responsible pet owner