i get to raise wolves! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Talking i get to raise wolves!

Me and my mum have decided 2 live down the road were these people used 2 keep horses and start raising wolves ( well mostly wolf hybrids )
we have applied for a license and if they approve we can move in will get our first wolf! i'm so excited , but i hope the wolves like the gerbils.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 05:21 PM

WOW! I REALLY hope you've done your research. In most places, owning a wolf hybrid requires special licenses...most people aren't approved to own them. Why would you want to purposely breed something that will be difficult to place (and half wild)? You may very easily end up with a pack of wolf hybrids that you can't tame or place.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 06:10 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%gerbil
but i hope the wolves like the gerbils.
I think it would take a lot of gerbils to fill them up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Catherine!!!!

They might like fish?

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Adolescent Pup

Wow

I think that if you've done your research this could be a great oppertunity!!! How wonderful to live with such beautiful creatures....I read a book one time about a woman who rasied/lived with wolves...she kept them as pets in her home...It was very intresting....however I do remeber her always taking precautions cuz they are still wild animals...If i can find the book I will let you know what is is called....it's was really intresting...wish I could have one...but I know the boyfriend would say no ! LOL

Please keep us posted if you do get lincesed....it should be intresting!!!!!

~Misty~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

we've moved in and we are just building the wolves' pen. We knocked down most of the stables but a few are left for breeding but are going to be modified. There is this wood behind our new house so we are extending the pen into some of that. we have nearly finished the pen and tomorrow we will modify the stables. There is also dog flap wich connects to a room in the house at the back. We have looked into some places where we can get some puppies.
We have decided to keep adding new puppies before they're too old and won't accept them and when they are old enough, we will have to just breed them if any are to be added.
we don't know when we will have our inspection but it should be soon.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 05:49 PM

keep in mind, more than one male in the "pack" is bound to cause a problem. Also, if you have multiple females and they stick to natural instincts only one female will whelp.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

well usually the alpha male can keep his place and when the beta challenges the alpha it usually isn't that bad but we are taking precautions on that. when they are puppys they usually find their place in the pack quickly without any hassle but we can always divide the pack if something starts up and is serious.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 04:34 PM

Wait you are planning on breeding them? I think that is a terribly bad idea. There are so many wolfdogs in rescues. And it is especially diffucult to get a breeding liscense. Hoe much research ave you done on Wolfdogs? Are you planning on keeping them outside? Another bad idea. If kept outside they are more likely to revert to their wild ways and will not be good pets. Also I am sure they will like the gerbils as a light snack! LOL So I am saying they must be kept away from them. Their natural predator will take over and they will kill them. I think it sounds like you are not ready to own these animals, I hope your mom knows what she is doing!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 05:25 PM

Red face

Wow! That sounds great! Whereabouts are you in London? If you are in the South I would love to come and see them!
Good luck!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Curmudgeon

I don't mean to sound impertinent, but why are you wanting wolf hybrids? As pets, to sell, or just to have? If you have to have all the permits, why not get full-blooded wolves? I've never worked with either, so I don't now how much difference in behavior the hybridization causes. From what I've read, they seem inherently dangerous in the wrong hands, plus I know in the US you would have a devil of a time getting insurance for them. Do you have similar challenges in the UK? Which leads me back to why them and not something else?
Just curious, Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

The wolves are staying inside but because if nobody is in the house, we don't wan't them to become destructive and ruin everything and the gerbil's room is DEFINETELY gonna be padlocked cause i would REALLY hate it i've they got killed 'cause i love them too much, the pen is just so they have alot of space and different suroundings.

we are not shure about breeding but it is kinda just in case.
we are also getting the wolves from rescues and to keep them as pets because i've always been interested in them and so has my mum. The ones we are starting off with are like 25% wolf and full blooded wolves MIGHT come later but most probably not.

i want wolves because they are so misjudged and alway the bad guys to people who don't understand their beauty and when i was younger i used to always read White Fang and it helped my through some of the hard times at primary school.
we don't really have too many problems cause now nearly everything does pet insurance like Argos, we are still looking for the best one.
oh yeah and i live in north london.

Last edited by 100%gerbil; 01-14-2005 at 11:27 AM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala
I've never worked with either, so I don't now how much difference in behavior the hybridization causes. From what I've read, they seem inherently dangerous in the wrong hands
This is a good point, but one i'd like to elaborate on. Hybrids are like others and often misjudged. However, hybrids do have a tendency to be more dangerous (in my experience) because of the part of them that is domestic dog. Our domesticated dogs don't have that natural fear that is found in pure wolves.

Just my 2 cents
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 12:49 PM

I personally have worked with one wolf hybrid...Let me tell you, it's been a LONG road with her. You are absolutely correct, they are often misunderstood and the beauty of these animals is undescribable. However, they take a LOT of work. Your biggest problem will be socializing them. They don't have fear of humans per sa, but major trust issues. Building their trust will be difficult. It's not like raising dogs at all due to the wolf instincts. If you would like more information on my personal experiences with the wolf hybrid we get in boarding at my vet clinic, please let me know and I will outline how she behaved when she first started coming to us, up through how she behaves today (she boards with us at least 2-3 times per month)
On a side note, I would not recommend breeding rescues of ANY species of animal. Lack of health and behavioral histories can be deadly. Long before you start breeding, I would recommend meeting with honest breeders and asking a LOT of questions. Visit them, see their set ups, the animals temperments and how they handle them.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 06:13 PM
Curmudgeon

Are there alot of wolves or wolf/hybrids in need of rescue in the UK?. That's not something I would have thought necessary there with your strict import laws regarding canids.

There is a wolf sanctuary not too far from here and I've been told that they only accept pure wolves. I don't believe they breed there either. I've dealt with reahabbers of raptors and non-dangerous mammals. I don't think you could maintain your rescue or sanctuary permits in this area if you started breeding. I know of one guy that had big cats and one of the females got pregnant. He ended up losing them all because of it.

I appreciate you being so open to my questions. Thanks.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Closed Thread

Tags
breed dogs, dog owners, german shepard, german shepherd, males together, siberian husky, vet clinic, wild animal, wild animals