I have a new fox in the house! - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
I don't get this...
Are you feeding your fox jalapenos?
I know that foxes are somewhat omnivors, but hot food like chili should not be given to them.
Why, could you cite your source? My dogs love spicy foods and there are many health benefits to peppers. Cayenne pepper is the best but they all have similar propeties.

Cayenne has saved peoples lives.
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/cayenne.htm

Mary
Quasi - - - - Hyzzie - - - - - Pua - - - Jupiter - - - Kat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

&
Angel Stewie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 07:59 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

some foods can upset their stomachs, like onion.

[/CENTER]

post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Adolescent Pup

No onion is toxic and in significant amounts can cause a type of anemia. So best not fed to them, like chocolate. Though yes sometimes fed in small amounts and the dogs are fine, they are dose dependant.

An orange could upset the stomach because of being acidic but isn't toxic and some dogs eat them and have no problems. Just something to be cautious with but not a never feed food.

I've never heard of any toxic issues with peppers so due to being hot would fall into the be cautious category but not the never feed category.

Mary

&
Angel Stewie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 07:43 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Dunno, common knowledge over here.
Never feed your animals hot food, they tolerate it very badly.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 08:30 AM
RAT ADDICT

I would not feed any animal hot,spicy foods.
I on the otherhand love them!

Anyway up until the end,I was enjoying reading the info...as I always liked foxes.I don't agree with wild animals as pets for the most part though.However this thread has been quite interesting,up till the end where it has gotten a little confusing!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Rodentologist

Although the canine vaccine for rabies is commonly used for "pet" foxes (and I use that term very loosely, as they're not meant to be pets), local regulation will determine whether or not animal control will accept the vaccination. If your fox bites sometimes, and local regulations do not accept it, your fox will be destroyed to be tested for rabies.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
Dunno, common knowledge over here.
Never feed your animals hot food, they tolerate it very badly.
But parrots love peppers. They don't have the receptors for the spicy chemical so it doesn't burn them. So it's a bit blanket to say don't feed spicy foods to animals.

My dogs seem to like spicy foods. There's more likely to be a problem with fatty foods causing pancriatitis.

What is spicy food going to cause? Upset stomach, maybe but Cayanne pepper helps upset stomach in studies(dyspepsia). It also helps ulcers because it kills the germs that cause them.

I almost always put some cayenne pepper in my anteaters food because it gives her more energy and helps with circulation and helps guard against bleeding problems(which they are prone to).

Mary

&
Angel Stewie

post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

it is a missconseption that pets can't have hot things. We are animals, we like hot things.

It got started with some pets not handling things well such as onion as it is not good for many animals, including cats, dogs, reptiles and so on. Too much is harmful to humans as well.

What is worse than hot things is acidic things, such as oranges, lemons, tomatos.
Grapes are bad for cats and lillys are leathil to cats

[/CENTER]

post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Newborn Pup

My bird LOVES peppers. We use to have a Fennec Fox years ago, and he loved peppers too.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 02:55 PM

Dogs can eat things like bell peppers, most animals can actually. But as a rule, Jalapenos should always be avoided. You never know how they will effect your pet, they are not treats and shouldn't be given.
Onions destroy red blood cells in dogs and cats. However, onions are very good for humans for their immunity booster. Onions contain antioxidants that are essential in humans.

Last edited by Marcia; 12-09-2009 at 02:57 PM.
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Rodentologist

Hot peppers don't affect birds the same way, so they're ok for birds.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

They are fine for iguanas too You can feed a halbanaro and your ig would be ok.

[/CENTER]

post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 01:47 AM

Hello, fox lover here :)

I just read that you have a new fox, congrats I'm new on the site, so if you could, could you answer some questions i have?

Just wondering; i looking to have a fox as a pet, but i don't know how to get one or if it's even legal? Could you help me?

By the way. can't wait until you post photos
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 02:24 AM
Curmudgeon

If you look at the date of the post, you can see how likely you are to get a reply. This thread died two years ago.
If you want answers to your questions, start a new thread.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Adolescent Pup

There are lots of fox owners at http://www.raskbb.com/sybilsden/index.php

Mary

&
Angel Stewie

Tags
pet fox