iguana - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

iguana

Hello im new to paw talk so i need help can anyone tell me how to tell a male and female apart in these inguanas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 03:08 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

it's impossible to tell before they are a year and a half to two years old by looking at them after that they show some different traits, males have a fatty bulge on the part where the head meets the neck where females have a slight dip there, males have larger femonal pores on the back of their hindlegs, they are clearly visible where females look more like pin hole markings on the back of their legs.

Males tend to be quite aggressive and turn a orange/yellow/redish color in mating season where females aren't normally aggressive and do lay eggs

If you have to know for some reason before that you can have the vet to a dna test or a probe test but they are more stressful for the iguana and can mess up their body parts if the vet isn't qualified or makes a mistake

Did you try to have pictures? Do you have more than one? if so are you planning on breeding or something?

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

ok well the smaller one that i think is the female has these pointy things between her hind legs and the larger one that i think is the male has them to just not as pointy more flat, and orange on his legs. also i am posting pics of them so you can c them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you probably shouldn't keep two iguana's together as they are very solitary animals and will protect their space, sometimes til death.

What size cage do you have? how long have you had them? what diet are you feeding them? what lights do you have? what is the temps?

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

We rescued they and haved had they about 7 months. when we got then they were brown and not being taking care of. they are now apart in different cages. they eat all kinds of stuff lots of greens, mango, bananas, green peppers, i just want to be able to enjoy them and make live great for them. did you see the pics i posted??
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

ok i looked at your album and saw them, they are still looking a touch thin but are looking i'm sure better than before, the browner one does look like it could be a male but the green one it may be too soon to tell.. I wouldn't tell you for sure either way.

what size cages do you have? i couldn't imagine having 2 iguanas!! mine has his own room with a 4x4x5 foot cage

[/CENTER]

Tags
iguana help