Java Macaque - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Java Macaque

I was here before asking about them but I have decided thats a rescue is not the way to go even though I just love the Macaques I would buy any baby primate that is for offer right now under 3800. I would also take an adult I just want a little baby to call my own. We have just moved to a bigger house and where working on a new enclosure. Now I just have to find a little guy I would prefer a male, I can also be a foster mom for one for a while or take an unwanted one. I can provide any info. My world isnt complete without one like my little Lucy. Please is if you have any info on one for sale or someone who needs a home for one for a while. Or someone for some reason cant provide a home for there little guy I would love there info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I got my little boy and I hope to get another one in august its going to have the same daddy as Kave lol.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Betta Bomb

you guys mean like the monkey/ape Macaque??? like the ones people experiment on? i didnt know people were allowed to keep them as pets..what kind of cage do you keep it in?? in Newfoundland MANY years ago a store downtown sold Chimps but then they were out-lawed b/c of all the deaths due to the mis-understandiong of proper care. do you keep it outside? wow-my mind is so closed right now about that,i know nothing about that....please inform me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:26 AM
RAT ADDICT

I also know nothing about keeping them as "pets".
Is it even legal in Illinois???? What are they like as "pets"?
I do not really agree with having wild animals as "pets".

It is illegal to keep any wild animal as "pets" here.
Do you have pictures???

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Ok to answer your questions its very legal to own Primates in Illinois some are just more expensive then others. Yes like the monkey Macaque but it is one of the more cheaper hyper monkey. The most expensive is Chimps coming in at 40k. You dont have to keep Javas in a cage I will have him an enclosure for when he gets older to play in but he will still come in and sleep in the house with me. They cant be put in a cage until they are two they are very dependant on there owners. When they turn two they are still very dependant of there care takers but they are ready to go exploring. For any exotic animal you own you have to have a Permit saying what it is and clearfying its legal in your state incase the cops get called. Like they have on my Serval.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Betta Bomb

oh-who would spend 40k's on a chimp? id be afraid it would die..or have problems and be destructive,but to each his own..we dont have a vet here to do stuff to a monkey b/c we have no zoo's or anything here-the university has them to torture in experiments but besides that.i dont think id want a monkey as apet,for the whole wild pet thing and for the playfulness of it like a child-it just doesnt appeal to me as apet...but thats like some people wouldnt want a rat for a pet and so on,its just personal opinion.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 08:20 PM
RAT ADDICT

Interesting.I agree...to each their own.
I am not a big primate fan...I mean,some are cute...but yeah,not a pet for me.

Oh and Amanda,even MUN no longers uses monkeys in their tests anymore.I read on their site,they replaced the use of monkeys with pigs.Doesn't make it anymore right...but I am just saying,they don't use monkeys anymore.

ItIsMe - any pics of your primates???
I would like to see the serval too.There is a guy in another forum I am in who has a cougar and a few bobcats and has the liscense and everything.He is always posting pictures...it is interesting,I have to say.But I am against having wild animals as pets.For the people who do keep them and do have a liscense,all I can hope for is they take care of the animals.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Adolescent Pup

I wouldn't believe she has one till I see a pic. I'm just skeptical like that even though I do know people with monkeys.

There is nothing wrong with keeping a monkey as a pet but you have to devote your whole life to them or get them a friend then you still need to devote most of your life to them.

As with the lemurs no one is taking them from the wild as pets in the USA. They are not imported but bred and sold by federally licensed people. If they are happy and healthy there is no logical reason they should not be kept.

Monkeys have a much longer history of being kept as pets than hamsters so hamsters are much more 'wild' than monkeys.

Mary
Quasi - - - - Hyzzie - - - - - Pua - - - Jupiter - - - Kat

&
Angel Stewie

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 11:59 PM
Betta Bomb

i know theyre used in india as guard monkeys..umm,im not sure the breed or species but theyre really common to be chained and used to guard the owners trailer or home b/c the monkey will naturally defend it but that doesnt make it a pet,and because of the "domestication"and ownership of almost any animal in the states(mostly) im used to the whole debate on exotics and wild animals being kept as "pets".personally im against it but i do understand that some of these animals would suffer if otherwise kept by say,a totally un-experienced person who just wants a "wow" animal and there are good knowledgeable people out there to be able to care for them..but i think it should only be in a sanctuary with more of their kind and lots of trees or whatever habitat it would live in in the wild.i know about habitat destruction so sanctuaries help that ordeal for animals-what im trying to ramble on about is that wild animals should be left alone and stop being bred for the pet trade when theres enough of a problem already with neglect, misunderstanding,and avoidable misery and suffering.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 06:36 PM
Will It Ever Change?

I think Itisme is perfectly capable of caring for a primate. Had experience, refers to them in a personal human way. I think rather than preventing actions for fear of ignorance, we should educate so that decisions on those actions become more understood and safe. Some animals need human intervention in order to preserve their numbers. The white siberian tiger I believe almost only exists in zoos around the world. Although I'd never have a primate as a pet, doesn't mean no one else can.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan